• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Automatic optical audio switch

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
I guess my biggest worry is that this is more than just a switch. It is supposed to have some additional electronics to reduce jitter. That makes me ever so slightly suspicious, but maybe that is unfair.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've used one of these for about eight years:

https://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/1177A

1558988224554.png

1558988271832.png

No complaints.

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
Thanks Ray. However this is a discontinued US product. It does indeed do the same kind of thing thlugh flr money. It does not promise to reduce jitter and that would reassure me.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt they will change the bits, they would have to be confident they understood all the data types that spdif supports, including surround formats. And why would they want to do this?

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
I bought one of those switches earlier this year for use with my Khadas Tone Board. I really like it, there's no subjective changes to sound as far as I can tell. Your issue is going to be if your various sources turn off their signal when not active, though you can also manually select the input via serial commands. Also, you might be able to get a version with a button installed - ask the seller, he's very helpful.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered one of these, they have PayPal checkout, and many shipping options:

https://www.pimfg.com/product-detail/TTA-1432

Use case: Automatically switching between a TV and a Chromecast Audio, output optical to a MiniDSP.

Controlling the automatic on for the Genelec speakers via this, which has a master control switch that when it draws enough power, triggers some of the others:

APC P8GT 8 Outlets 120V Power-Saving Home/Office SurgeArrest with Phone Protection
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K8S2J6/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Hopefully someone else can benefit from my googling. I love automation, but I hate "smart devices" where I have to dig my phone out of my pocket or jibber jabber more to Google Assistant.

This should all solve that... "Play Jamie XX Reconsider" should now turn on the TV via the Chromecast CEC, the power draw will trigger the smart switch to power on my monitors, and this optical device will automatically detect the optical input form the TV and give it to the MiniDSP to send to the speakers.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Thanks Ray. However this is a discontinued US product.

I bought mine used on eBay for $50 in 2012.

It does not promise to reduce jitter and that would reassure me.

Jitter doesn't enter into my calculations.

Digital Sources: CD player as transport, TV optical out, Oppo 93, HDRadio, Focusrite Clarett 4pre, USB from PC via Topping D10 digital outs,

Connections: primarily optical, but coax when necessary, more convenient, ran out of ports, whatever.

Digital Sources -> Switch -> DEQ2496 -> MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI -> DAC -> pre -> amps -> main speakers
and
Digital Sources -> Switch -> DEQ2496 -> MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI -> DAC -> pre -> miniDSP 2x4HD -> subs
or
Digital Sources -> Switch -> DEQ2496 -> MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI -> DAC -> pre -> ADC inside JBL LSR 308 -> DSP/Chip Amps -> Speaker Drivers

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom