• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Automatic Input Switch or Something I've Missed

Witterings

I'm trying to find an auto input swtich / selector or an alternative for 2 sources going into a single RCA channel... my reason I use my PC to play music through an amp but I also use an Alexa for radio which I also want through the amp but I also it for important work alarms / reminders and can't afford to have the wrong input selected and not hear the alarm.

My PC has 3.5mm out or could use a USB port and is connected to the Network via ethernet. I recently bought a WiiM Mini Streamer hoping I could use the Aux In / Out from the PC and set the Alexa to use it as a speaker BUT whilst it Auto Detects when you cast to it and switches from Aux to WiFi mode, it doesn't auto switch back to Aux when teh WiFi input stops and there's an Aux signal.

I have been using a headphone splitter but understand it could cause the PC to short, one other alternative is a Topping MX5 as it has auto input select but don't really want to fork out for a new, less powerful amp if I don't have to.

If anybody has any alternative idea's how I could achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

F

freemansteve

I don't think there any autoswitches for line level analogue - at least I cannot find any. No reason why these can't exist though!
There are for optical and HDMI though.....

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been using a headphone splitter but understand it could cause the PC to short
If this otherwise is working, then maybe just use a mixer to do the same without connecting the sources together. E.g.:

[edit: oops, the other one I posted was not RCA]

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I'm trying to find an auto input swtich / selector or an alternative for 2 sources going into a single RCA channel... my reason I use my PC to play music through an amp but I also use an Alexa for radio which I also want through the amp but I also it for important work alarms / reminders and can't afford to have the wrong input selected and not hear the alarm.

My PC has 3.5mm out or could use a USB port and is connected to the Network via ethernet. I recently bought a WiiM Mini Streamer hoping I could use the Aux In / Out from the PC and set the Alexa to use it as a speaker BUT whilst it Auto Detects when you cast to it and switches from Aux to WiFi mode, it doesn't auto switch back to Aux when teh WiFi input stops and there's an Aux signal.

I have been using a headphone splitter but understand it could cause the PC to short, one other alternative is a Topping MX5 as it has auto input select but don't really want to fork out for a new, less powerful amp if I don't have to.

If anybody has any alternative idea's how I could achieve this would be greatly appreciated.
Would this work ? Line Level Auto Switcher

OP
W

Witterings

If this otherwise is working, then maybe just use a mixer to do the same without connecting the sources together. E.g.:

[edit: oops, the other one I posted was not RCA]

I'd forgotten about using a mini mixer, I did consider that for a different system a while back but most of the reviews on mini mixer's generally weren't great, a large part of it they were non powered and reviews said the volume dropped off the planet ... I'll take a more detailed look at this, I did see they do a 2 channel version as well although it seems to be out of stock.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd forgotten about using a mini mixer, I did consider that for a different system a while back but most of the reviews on mini mixer's generally weren't great, a large part of it they were non powered and reviews said the volume dropped off the planet ... I'll take a more detailed look at this, I did see they do a 2 channel version as well although it seems to be out of stock.
I have a mini Behringer console mixer and that one is kind of noisy. This Rolls specifies >90dB SNR so probably it is much better than my Behringer. It's a very simple circuit with just a dual op-amp, schematic provided in the manual.

OP
W

Witterings

I remebered I had a Focusrite Sapphire 40 that's been unused for 8+ years and set that up again an it works a treat and good to have repurposed it, it's bigger tan ideal but does what I need for free.

Thank you to everyone fo their input though.

Top Bottom