• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

auto on/off amplifiers

Willem

Major Contributor
I am looking for a 2x100 watt or so power amplifier with auto on/off functionality, just like most subwoofers, and available on the EU market. This is for use in the bedroom. I am currently using a 2x25 watt Ava Maestro 50 amplifier with this functionality, driving a pair of modest Q Acoustics 3010 speakers using a Chromecast Audio as a source. However, we are planning to move into a larger bedroom and are considering using my rather ineffficient Harbeth P3ESRs for much better sound quality. I don't want to spend a fortune. It really baffles me why there are so very few amplifiers with auto on/off. It would seem to be so attractive to have and then put the unit somewhere out of sight for less visual clutter.

labdoc

In our bedroom closet, I have an squeezebox network player on a NUC running Daphile software > USB out to DAC > NAD C275BEE amp. The NAD is auto on-off without a 12 volt trigger when the output from the NUC/DAC stops. The squeeze player (Daphile) allows one to turn off the player via network remote - no infrared line of sight required - and that is a key feature that allows placement of the unit in the closet. I use "Squeeze Ctrl"(www.angrygoatapps.com) on a Samsung android tablet or on an android phone to control the music selection, volume and NUC player on/off from bed or elsewhere in the house via wifi. The NUC is on a wired network connection to the wifi router, but could be wireless if needed as a built-in wifi feature is in Daphile. It all works very well. I bought the NAD used. Spec: Continuous output power into 8 Ω and 4 Ω (both channels driven) >150 W (ref. rated THD, 20 Hz – 20 kHz).

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Parasound A23+ would fit your need.

a23+_high_angle_black.jpg

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
Thanks for all this. I am afraid I find both the NAD and the Parasound a bit expensive for a bedroom system. Fore this use a 350 euro Yamaha AS 501 would be more than good enough as an amplifier, but it does not have auto on/off. Thus far, my only option seems to nbe the new Sonus AMP. At 699 euro it is still more than I would prefer to spend but it doe sindeed get closer to my intended budget.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why not just build an auto on/off external switch? I did that many years ago for my bedroom system so we could go to sleep and the HiFi system would turn itself off after the music ended (around 5 minutes later).

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
I have seen descriptions but I am an economic historian and not an electronics engineer. It does surprise me that such gadgets do not seem to be on the market. I already have an excellent amplifier for the bedroom (a refurbuished Quad 405-2) so a simple external auto on/off gadget would be dandy. I would certainly love to have all my other gear out of sight as well, and switching on and off automatically.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Top Bottom