• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Autism is just mild schizopherina not it own disorder

mackat

Forum Donor
Never could get to sleep before 2-4A, and could sleep through any alarm clock for hours. Some point in my later 30's it suddenly flipped - have a really had time staying up past 10 or so, and I always wake up around 5:30A. Don't know what it suddenly change. Perhaps getting away from the constant Seattle grey mornings helped.
That's quite interesting, I don't think I've heard of that happening before! At this point, I wouldn't mind it, to be honest.

Cloudy weather also affects me negatively. I am very lucky to live somewhere that is sunny 75% of the time. The past week has been the typical "May gray, June gloom" that happens every year, and I certainly have felt it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair most of the boys were OK just a few meant you had to watch your back.
After multiple times coming home from high school shirtless (Ripped off my body) , bruised and scraped from being beaten up and or a bloodied face I was given family orders. :D Go to study judo and hit the weights to bulk up. It took about 1.5 years and I was able to fend for myself. There was 3 bad actors in particular that where troublesome but after they saw me choke out and flip a couple of enemies they respected me. As per schizophrenia, I have it. I hear voices where there are none. The more the stress is the more I hear the voices. Sometimes they are good suggestions, sometimes are good commentary and sometimes it's really disconcerting stuff that makes me feel insecure and unable to defend myself. There's no medical treatment other than pharmaceutical. I keep my stress levels way down and pay attention to my surroundings in case somebody really is calling me or talking to me etc etc. So I am on alert ~all day everyday as a result. I have 3 ongoing prescriptions for it. About the only relaxation I truly get is some rye and cannabis. When I am inebriated the voices seem to not be there or at least I forget about that stuff. I was diagnosed as having some other thing. I think it was autism. That was changed in time as the truth came out and I discussed my condition with the doctor. Life goes on. :D

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
After multiple times coming home from high school shirtless (Ripped off my body) , bruised and scraped from being beaten up and or a bloodied face I was given family orders. :D Go to study judo and hit the weights to bulk up. It took about 1.5 years and I was able to fend for myself. There was 3 bad actors in particular that where troublesome but after they saw me choke out and flip a couple of enemies they respected me. As per schizophrenia, I have it. I hear voices where there are none. The more the stress is the more I hear the voices. Sometimes they are good suggestions, sometimes are good commentary and sometimes it's really disconcerting stuff that makes me feel insecure and unable to defend myself. There's no medical treatment other than pharmaceutical. I keep my stress levels way down and pay attention to my surroundings in case somebody really is calling me or talking to me etc etc. So I am on alert ~all day everyday as a result. I have 3 ongoing prescriptions for it. About the only relaxation I truly get is some rye and cannabis. When I am inebriated the voices seem to not be there or at least I forget about that stuff. I was diagnosed as having some other thing. I think it was autism. That was changed in time as the truth came out and I discussed my condition with the doctor. Life goes on. :D
A while back some health professionals said try to engage with the voices then suppress them, didn’t work for me. Got it under control a lot better now by concentrating on what’s going on around me, so doing the opposite of what was recommended. When I was a kid there weren’t any martial arts clubs around and we couldn’t have afforded the cost. Up to the age of 9 I lived with my family in a derelict building we lived in one half as the gable end had come away on the other half. No electricity, no hot water, a gas light in one room. A childhood of cold and hunger, have got a spinal deformity which means I can’t throw a punch, so self defence was non existent. As I said in a previous post got lucky meeting Ann, she’s older than me, read a few years ago Autistic men go for older Women good for me.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A fascinating thread. As mental health and conditions such as autism are generally agreed to be a spectrum I guess we're all somewhere on that spectrum. I agree with the point already made that it is too simple and inappropriate to consider it an illness or something to be cured as if understood and managed it can be of great benefit. I've never bothered talking to a doctor but I suspect I would be considered to be autistic and suffering ADHD. I can't sit still and fidget continuously, and no matter what the situation people tell me I look bored and distracted. At school teachers were always complaining to my parents that I never paid attention in class, yet I was always a strong academic performer in assessments and exams and my maths and science teachers seemed to enjoy throwing a black board eraser at my head as I stared out of the window only for me to tell them exactly what they'd been teaching and sometimes solve their class question for them on the blackboard. I seem to be able to process multiple complex tasks in parallel in a way which seems abnormal and I can visualize numbers and do advanced math in my head at the drop of a hat without really thinking. At school and university when I studied engineering my teachers and lecturers used to go crazy when I'd hand in my exam papers after half an hour and leave because I couldn't see the point of sitting in the exam hall for another two and a half hours yet I got excellent results. So, I do think that it is too simple to view these things as an illness and that we should see the opportunities. By the way, I'm not trying to belittle those for whom autism is indeed a serious problem, just reinforcing the idea that in other circumstances it can have advantages.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
A fascinating thread. As mental health and conditions such as autism are generally agreed to be a spectrum I guess we're all somewhere on that spectrum. I agree with the point already made that it is too simple and inappropriate to consider it an illness or something to be cured as if understood and managed it can be of great benefit. I've never bothered talking to a doctor but I suspect I would be considered to be autistic and suffering ADHD. I can't sit still and fidget continuously, and no matter what the situation people tell me I look bored and distracted. At school teachers were always complaining to my parents that I never paid attention in class, yet I was always a strong academic performer in assessments and exams and my maths and science teachers seemed to enjoy throwing a black board eraser at my head as I stared out of the window only for me to tell them exactly what they'd been teaching and sometimes solve their class question for them on the blackboard. I seem to be able to process multiple complex tasks in parallel in a way which seems abnormal and I can visualize numbers and do advanced math in my head at the drop of a hat without really thinking. At school and university when I studied engineering my teachers and lecturers used to go crazy when I'd hand in my exam papers after half an hour and leave because I couldn't see the point of sitting in the exam hall for another two and a half hours yet I got excellent results. So, I do think that it is too simple to view these things as an illness and that we should see the opportunities. By the way, I'm not trying to belittle those for whom autism is indeed a serious problem, just reinforcing the idea that in other circumstances it can have advantages.
Similar to my behaviour in school inattentive and preferred being the Class Clown. Never studied and generally would’t be bothered doing homework. Regularly was caned or hit across the fingers with a long plastic ruler edge on striking my fingers, had no effect just made me even worse. Felt no one at school was bothered about me, you were expected to conform, didn’t understand what was expected of me.
Went into teaching in my 30s it was a revelation no longer needed to conform with group acceptance had a chance to express myself on my terms. I worked my socks off for them and their good work made me go ahead regardless of the criticism from some of my colleagues. Took my classes from on the whole failing at UK level 2 and kept on upgrading the course until if any of my Students didn’t get a distinction at level 4, they considered it a failure. In three consecutive years one of my Students got a medal for best in year performance by the awarding body. Every three years changed the course to keep me interested. Made sure any of my Students didn’t have to go through the traumas of my school life.

Katji

Major Contributor
Regularly was caned or hit across the fingers with a long plastic ruler edge on striking my fingers,
I wonder whether everyone here knows what caned means.
When I went to a new school in Std.8, even the prefects could do it. It seems weird, maybe it was only for specific things. The first day, they came and told us we had to learn the names of the 1st rugby team and they would check after a couple of days.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Regularly was caned or hit across the fingers with a long plastic ruler edge on striking my fingers
I wonder whether everyone here knows what caned means.
I was in-line to get the strap in elementary school and I was advised by my parents to tell the teacher/principle if ever I was to get the strap that the only people allowed to hit me is my parents. It was a odd reaction and they never gave me the strap.

Katji

Major Contributor
:)
I don't remember what happened about the prefects, maybe I somehow memorised all the 1st team players' names, but I doubt it, and I think I'd remember if I'd been caned. I just remember that we had to go to their study - the prefects had a study, with a fireplace.
Sometimes they did haircut checks after assembly, they'd close the doors just as the assembly ended. Had to be short-back-and-sides and that led to 2 cuts if you hadn't got it done by the next day.
Compulsory to go to rugby matches on Saturdays, wearing blazer and basher/boater. Rollcall and 2 cuts on Monday if you weren't there. But I soon learned that the rollcalls didn't happen every time.

Katji

Major Contributor
Never mind the caning, that's cruel and unusual punishment from the start.
Walking to school on Saturday afternoons, boater and blazer in hot and humid climate. (Rugby season extending beyond mid-winter.)
I still watch cricket, though, and not much else.

That school (the oldest) was a public/government school but the ethos/culture was like the private schools in the country, that are all boarding schools.
I was looking for pictures of the war memorials there on Google the other day, looked at the school website, found that the memorials were demolished when they demolished the original building. It seems they removed the bronze plates and mounted them on a wall.

mini-Remembrance-Day-Service-7.jpg

mini-Remembrance-Day-Service-10.jpg

DHS-Buildings.jpg

I see they still have the bashers/boaters...

banner-4.jpg

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Singapore still allows corporal punishment, though many schools no longer use it. My kids go to an international school which has a no caning policy but we are friendly with a couple of teachers at state schools where it is used.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Singapore still allows corporal punishment, though many schools no longer use it. My kids go to an international school which has a no caning policy but we are friendly with a couple of teachers at state schools where it is used.
If it reaches the stage where you’re hitting a child it’s an admission of your failure not the child’s.

Top Bottom