• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aussie Bushfires

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Southern Tassie is where you you tell your daughter to stop smoking on the dinner table.

She,s only 15 after-all and her kids are watching:D:D

:(:(:(:(:(:mad:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sometimes I find a thread really confusing, then it slowly dawns on me that one of the people on my ignore list must be posting a lot...

Yeah, totally know what you mean.

It seems only you and I seem to post in most of the threads around here... kidding... my ignore list is unused...Frank, can you hear me? ;)

Addicted to music

Today, this evening the air quality has returned to normal in Point Cook, however we are bracing for the coming days, there is still out of controlled fires in NSW and Victoria and right across the country

Just to give you a scope of the fire and it’s just started.

Attachments

• 69DEE1DD-C70D-4321-80C4-71CC47223685.jpeg
    69DEE1DD-C70D-4321-80C4-71CC47223685.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

gikigill

Today, this evening the air quality has returned to normal in Point Cook, however we are bracing for the coming days, there is still out of controlled fires in NSW and Victoria and right across the country

I'm on the other side of the Bolte and air quality seems to be better today around the Eastern suburbs.

Bunnings ran out of masks and then the trucks delivering more masks also ran out.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Those numbers are questionable. For instance, Bloomberg says the Siberian fire was 7 million hectares. I see lots of different numbers for each fire I looked up.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Those numbers are questionable. For instance, Bloomberg says the Siberian fire was 7 million hectares. I see lots of different numbers for each fire I looked up.

How many hectares is one thing. How densely populated is another. News reports are that 2,000 homes were recently destroyed in Australia. The 2017 flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey damaged or destroyed over 300,000 homes and apartments.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of a person are you? If this is your sincere belief, I feel sorry for you. However, I suspect you just hate me for not sharing your point of view.

You seem to be unfamiliar with the varieties of religious belief on this planet. He stated regular Hindu beliefs

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
You seem to be unfamiliar with the varieties of religious belief on this planet. He stated regular Hindu beliefs
Forgive me for discussing religion. You shouldn't either. See Post #116. However, there is a strange version of empathy around here. He lit into me for expressing faith and completely missed the part about my house flooding, and so have you. So, what kind of a person are you?

To put it in perspective, the Australian fires have destroyed 2,000 houses. Hurricane Harvey in 2017 flooded over 300,000 homes and apartments in Texas. CNN has reported widely published graphics greatly overstate the extent of the fires. Numerous news reports from mainstream outlets attribute the cause of the fires to Arson. The fires will be extinguished. It will not cost many billions of dollars to prevent it from going out of control again.

astr0b0y

Statistics are interesting of course, and locally on the news from our national broadcaster we see stats on the cost and extent of various disaster types: flood has the highest cost impact, fire is way behind in fourth place. Doesn’t change the individual impact of house/property/life loss though. Texas’ population is millions more than all of Australia, but Australia is an order of magnitude larger than Texas.
Arson is certainly the cause of many fires in Australia, always has been. Similarly, out-of-control fires are often caused by our attempts at prescriptive burns to reduce fuel loads. Sometimes a power transformer fails catastrophically and starts a fire. Most often, dry lightening sparks bushfires here.
Overnight analysis of the ‘arson emergency’ shows that the majority of news reaching the US is overblown, but what’s your point? Because the images, graphics and stories you’re hearing are too bad to be true that none of what is happening is true.
You don’t have a monopoly on sorrow. What kind of person are you?

Last edited:

Addicted to music

[QUOTE
Arson is certainly the cause of many fires in Australia, always has been. Similarly, out-of-control fires are often caused by our attempts at prescriptive burns to reduce fuel loads. Sometimes a power transformer fails catastrophically and starts a fire. Most often, dry lightening sparks bushfires here.
You don’t have a monopoly on sorrow. What kind of person are you?[/QUOTE]

Arsons drive me insane, especially fire seasons, should have the max penalties thrown at them, and charged for manslaughter for all lives lost. The ones that have done there time should have gps trackers so they don’t enter fire prone areas... Also Looters in a devastated areas.....
Control burns are a part of life, from this we should learn from the original custodians of the land. However some goes horribly wrong....

Last edited:

astr0b0y

From memory the sentences are pretty harsh but many offenders are young pre-teen kids so we don’t hear what rehabilitations they are offered.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
but what’s your point? Because the images, graphics and stories you’re hearing are too bad to be true that none of what is happening is true.
That's insulting. Stop waving the flag. I have expressed empathy for those harmed by the fires several times above. You are attacking me with no justification. What kind of a person are you? You obviously have an agenda.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This is plain depressing, some of you need to have a think about your conduct here and why a simple thread about paying homage to firefighters and lending a thought to the suffering in Australia has ended up in a weird slagging match about religion, floods elsewhere and who's suffered the most, oh and ' fake news ' .

And it's the second thread about this to get closed , not to mention the mess that was made when someone posted about a new sports car.

Quite frankly it's pathetic and shameful given the op.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom