• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Auro 3D vs Dolby Atmos & DTS:X

TitaniumTroy

Personally I have heard Auro 3D once in a theatre, and Dolby Atmos in 3 theaters. The first time was in Times Square and it was Mad Max:Fury Road. While very loud I didn't feel any more of a surround soundscape than say an IMAX theatre. Would like to try them in a home theater demo room at an audio dealer or sigh, even a Magnolia store.

The closet IMAX theatre to me also has GDX which uses Dolby Atmos, the young people working their preferred the IMAX. As I do for it's greater bass, and dynamics. Compared to the GDX which at this theatre is not as powerful as the Times Square theatre I went too. That one had speakers and subwoofers some of them big, all over the walls and ceiling. So no lack of bass or dynamics there.

I have heard that Auro 3D is the superior sounding technology. For movies and music, but is more of presence in Europe than the US. Maybe the theatre's I heard it in were not set up correctly or something about the movie's content was lacking for a superior surround experience. Or is it just the fact that our ears are set up for sound coming from the front, and this is just a lot of marketing crap.

Top Bottom