• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Auralic Vega G2 Streamer and DAC Review

Tks

Major Contributor
This, especially, is a total bullshit argument.

From the fellow Alex (employee) not "knowing" Amir:

"The author of these reviews, whose motivation I won’t question, may have the best of intentions when it comes to the work they do. They may be trying to rid the world of “snake oil” products, an effort we applaud and for which we would gladly pitch in."

"We can only tell you that our products have been measured before in other reviews, and by us in our development process. We are not afraid of measurements."

Okay so we have two issues here, the first quote is either constructed by a pretty intelligent social architect, or someone unaware he betrays the majority of a major portions of his message. That being when he later draws emphasis to:

(and we know you will because you’re all pretty intelligent, and that’s not flattery, it’s just something we know about you guys)...........Also, please research the people writing these reviews. Learn who they are, and what their point of view might be. Learn about how they measure, whether it’s accurate, or if the measurements inform on how the product sounds and functions.

Would it have killed him to take his own advice here and do some "learning" of their own about others? Might've helped with a more substansive reply, rather than leaving it up to the community to go and do the research, and researching about methodologies. Alex could have came back to such a community and given his take on the measurements himself so said community could rest more assured, instead a hollow post that addresses nothing.

To the second quote about "not afraid of measurements". Okay so then you're lazy? People selling devices at the prices you are, one would naturally assume you know the basics of performance validation procedures followed in nearly every respective electronic industry. And if not you, then who would? That said.. If you're not afraid of them, you have multiple problems to rectify

1. Verify the ones here are accurate (as skeptics here normally assume you guys don't have your own).

2. Get your own measurements so you have something to compare to.

3. Realize we're not afraid of them either, so publish them publicly for us to see as well. Unless of course you want to get into the nitty gritty of business ethics or outward image that makes you feel you're somehow some riders of high horses too tall for your own community/customers/potentially interested customers. I'll gladly outline why you ought do these things if you care to discuss this, and if you truly stand behind what you said in your post.

@HookEm Thank you for sharing our findings there. I've been somewhat critical of Alex, and I actually align myself with the rest of what he's said. But if he's going to make claims like "They may be trying to rid the world of “snake oil” products, an effort we applaud and for which we would gladly pitch in." Then we'd like to take him up on said offer.

Fortunately for him. Auralic performance is pretty decent compared to the high-end shovelware present in high-end realms, so he has less reason to hide. And no matter where you are, or what industry. If there is a company that makes high-end products and has been on the market for years, if they want to say there's something wrong with our approach, I think many of us here would be present with ears waiting.

One last thing HookEm if you're reading this. If none of what I say is something they ever get around to doing. At least ask why they don't publish their own measurements. Everything else can wait, but a non-answering of this question basically makes the rest almost pointless. Unless of course they can't afford to get their products measured anymore or some weird answer like that comes from them.

Russ_L

Forum Donor
I have first hand experience with the Matrix X Sabre Pro, and I agree it’s a great sounding (and measuring) unit. BUT I’m going to do my last :rolleyes: system overhaul and I would like a DAC with one analog input (and volume control) for my TT. The Auralic fits the bill. The Matrix does not unfortunately.

Others fit the bill too, Benchmark, Mytek, Theta (long in tooth), etc. Additional investigation required.

Russ

Tks

Major Contributor
I have first hand experience with the Matrix X Sabre Pro, and I agree it’s a great sounding (and measuring) unit. BUT I’m going to do my last :rolleyes: system overhaul and I would like a DAC with one analog input (and volume control) for my TT. The Auralic fits the bill. The Matrix does not unfortunately.

Others fit the bill too, Benchmark, Mytek, Theta (long in tooth), etc. Additional investigation required.

Russ

RME ADI-2 Pro perhaps? Would save you a bunch over something like an Auralic.

Russ_L

Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 Pro perhaps? Would save you a bunch over something like an Auralic.

Took a look at the RME. Great unit, but, the analog input would be used for my TT. And it appears RME does an A/D on that input. Even though Amir's measurements show the A/D to be completely transparent, that's a NO NO in the TT community. :rolleyes:

Russ

Russ_L

Forum Donor
Same issue with the Sonica DAC. The (one) analog input is digitized otherwise i would have tried to score one of those (headphone amp not required). Too bad the Oppo 105 and 205 don't have an analog input.

Russ

Labjr

Major Contributor
Personally, I'd be using a separate preamp for an analog source.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Took a look at the RME. Great unit, but, the analog input would be used for my TT. And it appears RME does an A/D on that input. Even though Amir's measurements show the A/D to be completely transparent, that's a NO NO in the TT community. :rolleyes:

Russ
Yes the TT community is pretty odd in its irrational approach to this but you did say you wanted a DAC with an analogue input and AFAIK there isn't one that has an analogue input that doesn't digitise it.
As a record player user (and designer 45 years ago) for about 55 years and an owner and user of high end phono stages I went over to a digital stage about 10 years ago because it was cleaner and more linear. I still have a Goldmund phono stage but don't use it any more. My EMT deck has a phono stage built in and if I use it i still digitise its output.
I did this ever since I found that, as long as you make the recording while the music is playing in the room so the record player still picks up the spurious vibration, a digital rip sounds identical to the phono stage output so I didn't fret ( I know far too much about how record players work to be taken in by the bollox floating around amongst TT fans).
So if you want to stick with all analogue for your TT you might as well use a conventional preamp and a fixed output DAC into one of its line inputs and the phono stage into another.

Tks

Major Contributor

Russ
Yeah I'm sorry in that case. I know of no single DAC that doesnt digitize analogue inputs. As far as transparency, the latest version the Pro FSR BE as measured here https://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/09/measurements-rme-adi-2-pro-fs-r-black_26.html?m=1 doesnt seem like something LP folks need to worry about by a country mile in terms of performance.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Russ
I use the ADI-2 PRO very happily to ADC my phono preamp output. It enables good level monitoring, level/sensitivity matching as well as EQ'ing the cart to whatever you want. Because you can digitally tweak the input level a bit as well (up to +6dB) it also enables me to lower the phono gain to 40dB in MM or 60dB for my MC cart to get lower noise. Mind you, I use a digial preamp for room EQ so it was going to go through an ADC at some point anyhow.

Russ_L

Forum Donor
Yeah I'm sorry in that case. I know of no single DAC that doesnt digitize analogue inputs. As far as transparency, the latest version the Pro FSR BE as measured here https://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/09/measurements-rme-adi-2-pro-fs-r-black_26.html?m=1 doesnt seem like something LP folks need to worry about by a country mile in terms of performance.

Hi TK - been doing my research and have confirmed with the manufacturers that the following DACs DO NOT digitize their analog(s) inputs:

COS Engineering D10 https://www.cosengineering.com/products/d10/
SOtM sDP-1000EX https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sdp-1000/
Auralic Vega G2.1 https://us.auralic.com/products/vega-g2-1?variant=34539915509928
Mytek Manhatten https://mytek.audio/shop/manhattan-bridge-roon-powered-288#attr=13
Theta Digital Generation VIII Series 3 https://www.thetadigital.com/generationviii/

I'm sure there are many others. Have not had a chance yet to ask Benchmark about the DAC3L. https://benchmarkmedia.com/collecti...mark-dac3-l-digital-to-analog-audio-converter

I agree going with a preamp would make life simpler; opens up the possibility of using any DAC, not just ones with analog inputs and analog volume controls. :facepalm:

Russ

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi TK - been doing my research and have confirmed with the manufacturers that the following DACs DO NOT digitize their analog(s) inputs
Interesting. How about the last reviewed Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 with its RCA inputs?

Russ_L

Forum Donor
[
Interesting. How about the last reviewed Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 with its RCA inputs?

I spoke to Matrix. Both of the Mini-iPro products digitize the analog inputs. :rolleyes: I requested adding analog inputs to the Sabre Pro with analog volume control. Told them I would order it on the spot but no response as of yet.

Russ

Veri

Master Contributor
I spoke to Matrix. Both of the Mini-iPro products digitize the analog inputs. :rolleyes: I requested adding analog inputs to the Sabre Pro with analog volume control. Told them I would order it on the spot but no response as of yet.

Russ
I see.. yeah, probably not that straightforward to incorporate.

Laughing Rabbit

Forum Donor
OK, so this DAC has some issues. If I plug it in and compare it with my Topping DX7 Pro, am I going to hear anything 'better' as to performance? I mean even IF they fixed the faulty channel? I don't design DACs and have no idea if something else is going on with the sound from these insanely expensive units, that justifies their cost. Or how about others, like the Chord DAVE, or the D'Agostino $28,000 DAC? I mean, I could buy a case of each of my favorite wines for the rest of my life, the drinking of which would SIGNIFICANTLY enhance my listening pleasure a hell of a lot more than D'Agostino. Or am I missing something???

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Laughing Rabbit

Forum Donor
Glad to know. But will I hear an audible difference in sound ... is it smoother, or more defined, higher resolution or some such thing? There's not one in my town I can go audition.

Laughing Rabbit

Forum Donor
Thanks again for your knowledge and candor. It's helped a lot in my understanding of audio. My purchases have not always been informed.:)

Top Bottom