• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Auralic Vega G2 Streamer and DAC Review

Noob

The Element X being $2999 is even more impressive when compared against things like this that offer the same functionality at over double the price. One could buy two Element-x and a monoprice thx amp for especially demanding headphones with that money. Or one element-x and a Benchmark AHB2 amplifier with $500 left over to pay for two years of Tidal HiFi streaming.
As a professional audio tech, I am somewhat resigned to paying the extra cash for that extra 1% of performance. So by all means spend the money if you have it lying around collecting dust, but being cheated is another matter entirely. If I’m spending the extra money for better performance, I better get what I am paying for. In the case of this product, one does not get improved performance relative to less expensive products. As for the clock. . . That is just robbery.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I originally thought this was an R2R product. What chip is in this?
The price is still crazy even if the performance is good

YSC

Major Contributor
I originally thought this was an R2R product. What chip is in this?
The price is still crazy even if the performance is good
It's a custom chip from ESS sabre, not sure if it's based on the 9018 or 9028 series. but the channel matching is disappointing for the price

captain paranoia

Could be CNC machined from solid, or just CNC machined finishing on a casting. We use laser-sintered 3D printed cases, CNC finished in places that need precision. That's for prototypes (SATCOM units).

There's no good reason to machine the entire enclosure from solid. If you really need EMC partitioning, it can be done with small enclosures around the sensitive parts of the PCB. We do that to isolate the various parts of our RF circuits in the radio sections. Can be done with folded metal cases and walls, or machined from solid.

SpyB

It's a custom chip from ESS sabre, not sure if it's based on the 9018 or 9028 series. but the channel matching is disappointing for the price

It is a custom chip because they say so,there is a lot of "BS" from this company I have communicated with them a few times,

as I actually considered buying one of their products/lucky for me I was not fooled.

They answered the emails they felt like and the questions they did not like,they did not answer.

YSC

Major Contributor
It is a custom chip because they say so,there is a lot of "BS" from this company I have communicated with them a few times,

as I actually considered buying one of their products/lucky for me I was not fooled.

They answered the emails they felt like and the questions they did not like,they did not answer.
not that surprised for me, I remembered once I asked them about the design of the Taurus Mk II is full discrete or OPAMP based, they just ignored, but all in all the build and sound quality did gave me some good times for around 6 years. But as their G2 prices skyrocketed and this Vega G2 showing disappointing performance and QC, I won't consider their next product, and if the Taurus goes I may change to an headamp GS-X

Labjr

Major Contributor
I was interested in Aurelic products back in the day because of the reviews. I was thrilled when they announced the Aries Mini. Then at one point before the release, they decided to drop support for Windows. It could only be used on Mac OS. When everyone asked why, their response was "Don't buy it then!"

After that, I never considered buying one of their products or even read another review.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Could be CNC machined from solid, or just CNC machined finishing on a casting. We use laser-sintered 3D printed cases, CNC finished in places that need precision. That's for prototypes (SATCOM units).

There's no good reason to machine the entire enclosure from solid. If you really need EMC partitioning, it can be done with small enclosures around the sensitive parts of the PCB. We do that to isolate the various parts of our RF circuits in the radio sections. Can be done with folded metal cases and walls, or machined from solid.

Doesn't matter to me if they used a casting or billet. What does matter is if they claim it's billet when it's just a casting, because it creates the perception of being more valuable to someone who's considering buying one. That would be deceptive.

virtuovice

Forum Donor
Having the Auralic Vega G2 reviewed is another win for the forum. Thank you Amir and to the kind donor (whoever you are) for loaning the unit.

captain paranoia

because it creates the perception of being more valuable to someone who's considering buying one. That would be deceptive

The more deceptive thing is suggesting that such an enclosure is at all necessary for audio performance. I couldn't give two hoots if they machined it from solid gold; the value in the case is just bling, not technical audio quality. I value audio quality over bling.

If people want to buy hifi for the bling value, maybe CNC machined from solid is more expensive than a complex casting, maybe not, depending on the quantity. That's why we use laser sintering, because for prototypes, it's cheaper than casting or CNC machined from solid. But the internal wall structures are machined from solid, because they're cheaper.

HookEm

It's interesting to see the dynamics on threads such as this...
I would be willing to bet that a good chunk of the "pile on" negative comments are from folks that have never listened to this gear or this brand.

I would love to hear from folks that have actually listened to or tested this gear, and then confirm or dispute the findings shown here based on actual experience! (i.e., based on acquired data... as done by the OP).

captain paranoia

I would love to hear from folks that have actually listened to or tested this gear,

People like different sounds. Using someone else's subjective opinion is pointless. This website provides objective information. It's up to you to do the listening, and decide for yourself if you like it.
Just make sure you do any comparison carefully level-matched and blind. Otherwise you will be subject to psychological and psycho-acoustic biases that are well documented.

YSC

Major Contributor
It's interesting to see the dynamics on threads such as this...
I would be willing to bet that a good chunk of the "pile on" negative comments are from folks that have never listened to this gear or this brand.

I would love to hear from folks that have actually listened to or tested this gear, and then confirm or dispute the findings shown here based on actual experience! (i.e., based on acquired data... as done by the OP).
You actually missed the point here, amirm had measured the original vega and gave it high praise, and that this g2 is actually an upgrade from the old unit based on his result. But that although improved the unbalanced channels are a no to be forgiven mistake or QC trouble for this price range, just like if you buy a Porsche, even if functional and quick you don’t expect the door sides have uneven gaps or paint imperfects right?

HookEm

You actually missed the point here, amirm had measured the original vega and gave it high praise, and that this g2 is actually an upgrade from the old unit based on his result. But that although improved the unbalanced channels are a no to be forgiven mistake or QC trouble for this price range, just like if you buy a Porsche, even if functional and quick you don’t expect the door sides have uneven gaps or paint imperfects right?
Actually, you missed my point!... I don't have a problem with those that have done their homework, as the OP (et al) here.
I'm calling out those that are just "piling on" without any substance.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Actually, you missed my point!... I don't have a problem with those that have done their homework, as the OP (et al) here.
I'm calling out those that are just "piling on" without any substance.
well, I think we have to agree here that this brand (I have to say again I am still using the Taurus Mk II and I still loved it) does not do a great job for it's price point. at least beside great design they need great and individual unit QC well, I think we have to agree here that this brand (I have to say again I am still using the Taurus Mk II and I still loved it) does not do a great job for it's price point. At least beside great design they need great and individual unit QC should be a must.

SpyB

@Amir,
thought you might find these comments of interest/they were posted on the Auralic forum

after someone there posted links to the ASR reviews

and the person who is apparently employed by Auralic, offered this reply.

A little condescending in parts, at lest that is what I thought,

and seems to imply, that you may not know how to measure correctly.

That is if I interpret the post correctly

Link: 3d

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@Amir,
thought you might find these comments of interest/they were posted on the Auralic forum

after someone there posted links to the ASR reviews

and the person who is apparently employed by Auralic, offered this reply.

A little condescending in parts, at lest that is what I thought,

and seems to imply, that you may not know how to measure correctly.

That is if I interpret the post correctly

Link: 3d
Thanks. He says he doesn't know me which is OK but all they had to do was click in my signature to get to know me. Then he ends with "who knows if he is talking about" type of argument. Either you do your homework to know if I know this field, or not. So yes, on that front it is disappointing. As is the case that they are asked what they guarantee as far as channel differential and they are not responding.

The right answer there should have been that they would go and investigate what they are produce as of now and what the channel to channel variations are and what they could to do close the gap between them. This is their competition:

index.php

Not only does Matrix Audio beat them in absolute scale but variation between the two channel SINADs are just 0.4 dB. This is how you sell precision and accuracy.

The "we measure it" bit is also not helpful. You measure it but don't publish it? Why?

YSC

Major Contributor
Thanks. He says he doesn't know me which is OK but all they had to do was click in my signature to get to know me. Then he ends with "who knows if he is talking about" type of argument. Either you do your homework to know if I know this field, or not. So yes, on that front it is disappointing. As is the case that they are asked what they guarantee as far as channel differential and they are not responding.

The right answer there should have been that they would go and investigate what they are produce as of now and what the channel to channel variations are and what they could to do close the gap between them. This is their competition:

index.php

Not only does Matrix Audio beat them in absolute scale but variation between the two channel SINADs are just 0.4 dB. This is how you sell precision and accuracy.

The "we measure it" bit is also not helpful. You measure it but don't publish it? Why?
Can’t agree more, at the price point I would expect sennheiser hd800 type individual measurement report included

Top Bottom