• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aural Diversity

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This may explain a lot about why there are such disagreements on the sound of audio.

Well perhaps, but cognitive bias probably explains more.

I believe most of the disagreements come from congitive bias, because most of the disagreements are about audio differences below the threshold of hearing - even for people with perfect hearing.

I've seen very few people saying "I can't hear it so you can't either"

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Even accounting for aural diversity, most people follow the same trend line of preferring a bass bump, neutral mid-range, and treble which is either neutral, or slightly sloped down. For people with hearing damage, you might ramp up the treble 2-3dB above neutral, but going beyond that has questionable value. If someone had a major impairment, you would want to generate a unique equal-loudness contour for them, and tune the frequency response based on that.

Top Bottom