• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aune X1s GT Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this product:

• Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 109 62.6%
  • Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 16 9.2%

• Total voters

auneaudio

Audio Company
Thank you, but I think this can be applied to all the measurments, I doubt that the grounding scheme would have been changed from one measurment to another. What is in your opinion the correct way to connect the ground to have correct measurments? what is the fault that wold make interference appear that are not present in real life? It's interresting.

You asked an important question. We’ll try to explain it in a simple way:)

When analysis and the device under test is connected, grounding must be taken into consideration, because it’s related to measurement accuracy. The key factor is “reference ground”, especially in the analysis of AC signals. Ideally, the connection of analysis and signals under test is like this:

图片1.png

However, when it comes to the actual analysis, it’s more complicated, such as the gain adjustment and filters, which makes the data output of the ADC part needs isolated transceiver.And the reference ground of the analysis is floating.

Here we only talk about audio analyzer’s input schematic. Below is the connection of the device under test and AP:

图片2.png

It can be seen that to the signal source, AP’s “reference ground 1” is floating, so all the uncertain interference between reference ground 1 of AP and reference ground 2 of the device under test will influence the measurement. Equivalent principle is like this:

图片3.png

Now, a short and thick wire (for smaller AC impedance) is needed to connect AP and the “reference ground” of the device under test, in order to reduce interference. Like this:

图片4.png

Almost all kinds of analyzers have the independent grounding port, which is for more effective measurement. Take AP for example, it even has one independent grounding port for each channel.

ADX555.png

So does DS3:

ds3.png

An analyzer would set its grounding port. As for audio devices, some have it too, and some don’t, so we need to analyze the situation accordingly. What is the “reference ground” to a DAC? It’s usually like this:

图片5.png

In the actual application, such problems will be avoided by manufacturers. Like an amplifier would usually connect input ground to “earth”:

图片6.png

Most DACs’ output ground takes “earth” for reference. And the interference will be small. To measure a DAC above 20kHz is because out-of-band signals and 20Hz-20kHz signals will produce IMD. The principle is as follows:

图片7.JPG

If the IMD is within 20kHz, it’ll be heard, which is also the reason why a DAC design needs oversampling. For more details please refer to:
DYNAMIC PERFORMANCE TESTING OF DIGITAL AUDIO D/A CONVERTERS, By Larry Gaddy and Hajima Kawai, Copyright 2000, Texas Instruments Incorporated (also attached)

Attachments

• DYNAMIC PERFORMANCE TESTING OF.pdf
    145.3 KB · Views: 107

verde57

So what about the headphones output power, are those measurements accurate?

auneaudio

Audio Company
So what about the headphones output power, are those measurements accurate?

The headphone amp of the X1s GT uses ultra-low-noise JEFT input, two order voltage amplification stage. The open-loop gain is high. The overall performance is ideal. Below is the X1s GT balanced headphone amp driving 600Ω with full level:

平衡耳放0DB THD.JPG

INPUT@1KHZ 0dBFS VOL @Max

Second and third distortion are both lower than -112dB

Let’s compare dynamic range between input signal level and volume of the headphone amplifier:

耳放平衡输出-60THD+N.JPG

INPUT@1KHZ -60dBFS VOL @Max

Unweighting dynamic range: 118dB

耳放音量-60的动态.JPG

INPUT@1KHZ 0dBFS VOL @-60dBFS

Unweighting dynamic range: 125dB

Therefore, for volume adjustment, to adjust the potentiometer of the X1s GT is the best way. It can achieve larger dynamics at an usual volume. Generally, it’s recommended that the computer volume is set to max. Of course to some IEMs the volume has to be very low. Then we can also adjust the player’s digital volume. The range of -1dB to -10dB is fine. It won’t cause much loss.

As for DAC’s output, nowadays, almost all DAC chips use differential output, which is to improve CMRR performance of signals.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi to all,

As much as I like the brand for it's features/design/performance/price ratio (in fact I own the complete set, bought brand new from an official reseller in Europe, of Aune x5s, x8, x7s and and older x1s with the dedicated power module) the total lack of customer support (I have lost the remote control and AUNE is totally unable to provide a replacement for a decent price which makes the x5s totally useless because it is the horrible to operate with the small buttons) I would not recommend the brand despite the decent measurements.

I hope to find a solution. If not, I'll sell the whole thing for a miserable price and will turn to something else...

Regards.

FRED

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Will they share the remote codes so you can program and use a 3rd party remote?

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Given their answer, I think they do not even know what that means :-(

I'm not really nice here. That is because I am pissed.

They offered :
- to sell a remote for 10 dollars + 30 dollars shipping (when they are of course able to send the complete device for free. So stupid thing is, if they told me : We can sell one for 30 dollars + 10 dollars shipping I probably would have spent those 40 dollars !).
- to buy a programmable remote that I would send to them so they can program it... and then send back to me (probably for 30 dollars shipping too).

I remember when Oppo was still active.
I wrote them to tell them that the upper case of my BDP-93 had a scratch and if they could sell me one.
What did they do ? They sent one... for free.

Regards.

auneaudio

Audio Company
Hi to all,

As much as I like the brand for it's features/design/performance/price ratio (in fact I own the complete set, bought brand new from an official reseller in Europe, of Aune x5s, x8, x7s and and older x1s with the dedicated power module) the total lack of customer support (I have lost the remote control and AUNE is totally unable to provide a replacement for a decent price which makes the x5s totally useless because it is the horrible to operate with the small buttons) I would not recommend the brand despite the decent measurements.

I hope to find a solution. If not, I'll sell the whole thing for a miserable price and will turn to something else...

Regards.

FRED
Hi, sorry for the unpleasant experience. Actually the shipment from Central China to Europe is relatively more expensive. We will find a way to improve the aftersales and make the process more convenient for the customers, like we may send more spare parts to our distributors, so that their customers can get the parts from the sellers directly; and for those who buy from our online store, we will try to help find a distributor near them to send the parts.

For your case, we will contact you and figure out a better solution. Before getting the new remote, please use the buttons on the front panel for basic functions. Sorry for the inconvenience. And thanks for reminding us to pay attention to the overseas aftersales service improvement:)

Júpiter

Hello, to all of you.
This is my first post in this forum.I come for some help.
Recently purchased the device we are talking over, and I have found an issue on the USB input that nobody talks about.I don't know whether it is a general issue or a singular problem of my unit, so I'm trying to figure out what's going on.Hopefully I'll get some help here.

I'm going to specify the problem that I see in this device and "what" and "when" it happens.
My intention is to keep aware people about this issue, either ask for help to anyone who has this device who kindly want to check out if is experiencing the same.Just to make clear whether or not this is a singular malfunction of my unit or a general issue.
So what:
At first glance I thought it was a delay caused by the USB driver,not sure anymore, since I've been able to optimize Panel Control Options on W10 and the problem persists; also on Linux, and using different transports. Maybe the USB chip it self.OK let's not lose step...
But it is not really a time delay.Using the USB input there is a volume raise each time I skip or play a track from the start.I mean I don't get the selected volume instantly, it raises as if turning up the volume knob manually, in a fraction of a second, less than half a second, but it's clearly noticeble;just play a song with sound at the very beginning.
I've done tests with two songs, mainly:
One is Fever of Elvis Presley, in this song there's a double bass chord at start that it's missing.
Second is Bizarre Love Triangle of Marianna Leporace from the album Best Audiophile Voices V, this song starts with a strong guitar chord, missing as well.
Keep in mind that this only happens with USB input, so you need to compare the same song played trough USB vs. coaxial input to hear the diferences.Also there has to be sound at the very beginning of the track as this happens during the first second of play only.
And when:
Each and everytime I play or skip tracks on the USB input.That's unbearable.I want to hear the whole thing.
Other inputs work flawlessly; well not entirely, if you're using the USB input and you change to Coaxial you will notice the same volume raise at the beginning of the song, but only the very first track in a session, then after you can skip tracks with no issues.I could live with that.
This happens using the device as a DAC/Amp or as a stand alone DAC.

I'll wait for people's reports to figure out what's the problem.
Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I have one waiting on delivery from amazon as I was gonna trial this device. So will write back if I also got any problems.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It will be a rapid (mS) ramp-up and down between track ID/start/stop flags. Even a CD player does it when you hit the pause button to either come out of, or into, pause.

Perfectly normal unless the ramp up/down is too slow.

Plcamp

A general question…do DACs such as this have their outputs dc isolated? Can I normally expect to directly drive a power amp that has no input capacitor isolation?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
A D/A converter without an output coupling capacitor can be regarded as faulty by design. Send it back as not fit for purpose.

A power amplifier that is DC coupled, with an exceptionally low-end response would still be regarded as faulty and not fit for purpose if it did not shut-down-protect-mute in the presence of DC or a signal with a zero cross time close to DC.

Júpiter

It will be a rapid (mS) ramp-up and down between track ID/start/stop flags. Even a CD player does it when you hit the pause button to either come out of, or into, pause.

Perfectly normal unless the ramp up/down is too slow.
Too slow, almost one second;unbearable and in case the manufacter would claim this as "perfectly normal" unnaceptable. I've never experienced such a thing, and as I said, coax is OK.

PenguinMusic

Hello, to all of you.
This is my first post in this forum.I come for some help.
Recently purchased the device we are talking over, and I have found an issue on the USB input that nobody talks about.I don't know whether it is a general issue or a singular problem of my unit, so I'm trying to figure out what's going on.Hopefully I'll get some help here.

I'm going to specify the problem that I see in this device and "what" and "when" it happens.
My intention is to keep aware people about this issue, either ask for help to anyone who has this device who kindly want to check out if is experiencing the same.Just to make clear whether or not this is a singular malfunction of my unit or a general issue.
So what:
At first glance I thought it was a delay caused by the USB driver,not sure anymore, since I've been able to optimize Panel Control Options on W10 and the problem persists; also on Linux, and using different transports. Maybe the USB chip it self.OK let's not lose step...
But it is not really a time delay.Using the USB input there is a volume raise each time I skip or play a track from the start.I mean I don't get the selected volume instantly, it raises as if turning up the volume knob manually, in a fraction of a second, less than half a second, but it's clearly noticeble;just play a song with sound at the very beginning.
I've done tests with two songs, mainly:
One is Fever of Elvis Presley, in this song there's a double bass chord at start that it's missing.
Second is Bizarre Love Triangle of Marianna Leporace from the album Best Audiophile Voices V, this song starts with a strong guitar chord, missing as well.
Keep in mind that this only happens with USB input, so you need to compare the same song played trough USB vs. coaxial input to hear the diferences.Also there has to be sound at the very beginning of the track as this happens during the first second of play only.
And when:
Each and everytime I play or skip tracks on the USB input.That's unbearable.I want to hear the whole thing.
Other inputs work flawlessly; well not entirely, if you're using the USB input and you change to Coaxial you will notice the same volume raise at the beginning of the song, but only the very first track in a session, then after you can skip tracks with no issues.I could live with that.
This happens using the device as a DAC/Amp or as a stand alone DAC.

Hi,

Can I assume that you have already tried to switch the source completely.
By completely I mean : computer and/or playback software.

That would allow to exclude the source as a problem.

Regards.

P.S. : I'll try to check that problem on the Aune x1s 10th I have, but it is not the GT Version.

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Took the Elvis Presley Album you're talking about.
The "Living Stereo" version.

There's nothing here that looks like what you're describing.

Using Arch based Linux with gMusicBrowser set to use ALSA as output.
Also tried with Lollypop and PulseAudio output.

Tried it on :
- AUNE x1s device ;
- AUNE s6 device
- AUNE x8/x7s combo.

NONE shows what you're describing :-(

So sorry but can't really help you.

Regards.

Last edited:

Júpiter

Hi. PenguinMusic.
I'm asking for the AUNE X1s GT version.And of course, first I did was eliminate source factor.
Thanks a lot for your attention.

PenguinMusic

Hi. PenguinMusic.
I'm asking for the AUNE X1s GT version.And of course, first I did was eliminate source factor.
Thanks a lot for your attention.
Hi,

Yes, I know.
This is why I mentioned that I could test it on the x1s even though I did not have the GT version.

But it would have been a hint that what you describe is considered as something intentional from AUNE if those device have showed the same behaviour as yours would it not ?

Another hint would be, maybe, the power supply.
Not sure but maybe USB draws a little more power than optical and as such you have a small attenuation ?

But as I do not have the x1s GT Edition, I can't help more than that.
And as per your request as a user with a total of 3 messages, I will not make any other suggestion.

Regards.

Last edited:

Júpiter

Then you haven't experienced this issue in other AUNE devices you have, so it's no an AUNE general issue in other devices.That helps, and I really appreciate your interest.
Could be related to the power supply?That would be an engineering fault,;I don't want to speculate, just trying to figure out...

PenguinMusic

Then you haven't experienced this issue in other AUNE devices you have, so it's no an AUNE general issue in other devices.That helps, and I really appreciate your interest.
Could be related to the power supply?That would be an engineering fault,;I don't want to speculate, just trying to figure out...
Hi Jupiter,

No problem.
I am trying to help but it is not easy as I do not have the device but as you may have noticed I like the brand :rolleyes:
It is just that, having the x1s already, I see no point in reaching for the x1s GT Edition (except the nice red touch).

One last question (sorry if this sounds stupid and you probably already did) but do you run Windows ?
If so, did you downloaded the lastest AUNE Drivers from late October 2021 that can be found here ?
As I run Linux, I can't say if that is of any help... my devices (from AUNE or Topping) run out of the box here.

Regards.

Last edited:

Júpiter

I'm running W10 and Linux also.Mainly Linux with Volumio as the music player.PC with W10 is not my regular transport, just use it alternatively and for checking purposes.Furthermore I tried to (and I did) modify USB Control Panel as explained here:

but didn't change anything.
I usually play from a local HD attached to my transport, but I've also tried to play from a music server, just in case...Still the same...
So, as far as I know, no source problems, that's 99%

Regards.

Top Bottom