• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aune "Flamingo" Tube DAC

OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
Industrial design is outstanding IMHO.
I honestly like Aune's designs. I have an X8 DAC of them and it looks cute.

About the tube thing... As far as I understood this is the third (fourth?) iteration of this concept in Aune lineup.
It seems it is something they always offered.
In this specific case we have basically a pure SS amp with a ES9028 and a switchable tube buffer.
ESS9028Q2M then, I guess? I expected 9018 or something so that's a decently good specced chip, considering the tube/distortion stage it's accompanied with :)

Hamrin

The distortion can be bypassed in OPA mode.
It uses a ES9038Q2M sorry, my fault...

1667553811282.png

Last edited:

nsfgp

Hmm ... What other DAC can do these?? Interesting indeed.

1667557199355.png

Hamrin

Chord Qutest can do this... Packing the DSD stream in a PCM wrapper (via DoP) it is perfectly feasible.
Also SPDIF here works flawlessly with CD transports, no skips or dropouts.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Just saw this quirky new "Tube DAC" product from Aune:

doesn't mention which DAC it even uses, though :)

@_@

Have a look at this

Hamrin

Same chip of the Aune but doubled in the xDuoo which seems to be the real TA20 "Mk2"... A far better suited product capable of driving more headphones for sure.

OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
Same chip of the Aune but doubled in the xDuoo which seems to be the real TA20 "Mk2"... A far better suited product capable of driving more headphones for sure.
Wonder how it compares to the TA-30 then. xDuoo sure makes a lot of products~

Hamrin

I own the TA-20 too, it is on a different league compared to Flamingo. Easy guess... TA22 too will blow the Aune out.
The xDuoo can drive planars, it also makes a rather good matching with HE560 Mk2 thanks to its high output impedance.
The Flamingo simply doesn't.

The "plain" Falmingo (no BT like mine) doesn't hit 200 bucks... TA30 and TA22 are three times and two times its cost (respectively).

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I don't like the way they sound, I get that "ESS Glare" from them. Very harsh to my ears
They have an elevated treble response?

notsodeadlizard

It is pure natural snake oil for the poor.
Snake oil should be available to all buyers regardless of their wallets.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Westsounds

Anyone know any compatible remote controls for Aune please? I have a programmable remote, but Aune is not on the list, everything else is Marantz, Denon, you name it but no Aune. Thought paying the extra for something I only use setting up would be wasted, but I’d still like to have a play initially with a remote.

Top Bottom