• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aune "Flamingo" Tube DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
Just saw this quirky new "Tube DAC" product from Aune:

doesn't mention which DAC it even uses, though :)

TjindarSingh

Like the form factor, it's a interesting dac/hp amp.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Combining 1950s technology with a DAC & Bluetooth doesn't make any sense to me. :p 1950s technology alone doesn't make sense to me...

And I don't like them calling it a "tube DAC" since the tube is an added-on analog circuit.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Combining 1950s technology with a DAC & Bluetooth doesn't make any sense to me. :p 1950s technology alone doesn't make sense to me...

And I don't like them calling it a "tube DAC" since the tube is an added-on analog circuit.
Yeah like why add a distortion factory to DAC??

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like the design! Wish my other DACs looked that nice. If it meets spec it seems like a fun option for $250. Some people like VU meters, other like looking at glowing tubes. More power to them.

Someone send one to Amir!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the design! Wish my other DACs looked that nice. If it meets spec it seems like a fun option for $250. Some people like VU meters, other like looking at glowing tubes. More power to them.

Someone send one to Amir!
Like I said, audiophilia can get weird :) Gazing fondly at boxes of electronics never really did it for me, tho.

Hamrin

It has been sitting on my desk for two weeks.

It is a nice sounding DAC, well made.
The amp is not poweful. It can drive dynamic cans with ease but planar owners must stay away from this.

Great for voices, acoustic, jazz and small ensembles. Not the best for rock if you're searching for slam and energy.

The switch between tube/solid state is best perceived with very resolving headphones.
Not a dramatic change but is there: the tube stage offers a slightly softer top-end and less energy with lower range.
Midrange is a bit fuller depending on the headphone.

7 filters offered but no differences there excluding the NOS one which sounds a bit different. I've found it particoularly pleasing paired with Z1R and tube stage.

Main cons:

- No "real" fixed output (need to put it to 99%)

- Not suitable for synchronous RCA/Headphone out: there is a loss of power if another amp or active speakers are connected.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like them calling it a "tube DAC" since the tube is an added-on analog circuit.

I agree. If you took a surround AVP and added a tube add-on analog circuit, it is not a tube surround processor.

THIS is a tube surround processor

It uses solid state for the steering but the prologic II decoding is not digital and is done in the analog domain. The original PLII prototype was done entirely in tubes before Dolby engineers converted it

Koeitje

Major Contributor
am I blind or does it not say what DAC it uses? I'm guessing ESS, which would be a no from me...
What is the problem with ESS?

Reactions: GPJ

Sokel

Master Contributor
It has been sitting on my desk for two weeks.

It is a nice sounding DAC, well made.
The amp is not poweful. It can drive dynamic cans with ease but planar owners must stay away from this.

Great for voices, acoustic, jazz and small ensembles. Not the best for rock if you're searching for slam and energy.

The switch between tube/solid state is best perceived with very resolving headphones.
Not a dramatic change but is there: the tube stage offers a slightly softer top-end and less energy with lower range.
Midrange is a bit fuller depending on the headphone.

7 filters offered but no differences there excluding the NOS one which sounds a bit different. I've found it particoularly pleasing paired with Z1R and tube stage.

Main cons:

- No "real" fixed output (need to put it to 99%)

- Not suitable for synchronous RCA/Headphone out: there is a loss of power if another amp or active speakers are connected.
Can't see clearly on the photos:is that a screen or a logo?
Cause if it's a screen is beautiful,clean black and white.

Edit:Ok,it's a screen but sadly an OLED one.

Hamrin

Yes it is an OLED, in order to achieve a pitch black background I think they decided to lower luminosity a bit.
So white elements are not so bright as in renderings. I didn't expect a top-notch display at this price tag... To be fair, I did not yet find a truly fantastic one even in TOTL stuff.

_R000759.jpg

Anyway it looks fine, readable and pleasant.

About the tube thing... As far as I understood this is the third (fourth?) iteration of this concept in Aune lineup.
It seems it is something they always offered.
In this specific case we have basically a pure SS amp with a ES9028 and a switchable tube buffer.

Yes, you could obtain a similar signature with a DSP and a stack of filters... Or even using a blamed 4 band eq (Schiit has three of these in their lineup).
Not different from what Topping does with their new digital tuning modes, or what iFi has been doing since their first product using their "Tube State" and 3D things.
Aune does the same but using a real tube.
Choices... :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom