• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Are you a current Denon/Marantz AVR Owner and if so what do you think of Audyssey's MultEQ-X?

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I've already purchased it.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I’m willing to spend the money once I learn more.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower is better.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower lower is better.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• I'm not an owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• Other (please explain).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just as a FYI, I am a Mac user on Monterey 12.1 on my iMac Pro (Intel-based) and have successfully used MultEQ-X via the free version of VMWare Fusion 12.2.1 virtualization and Windows 11. I too would rather have a Mac native program though.
As a Linux user so would I.
But when I knowingly use an OS that's in a very small minority, I have to expect things like this and find my own preferred work-around if I want to use some particular software.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
pffffffffffff - this app is one real piece of shit, no offence. I am not easily offended, but this is really really bad.
Go and donate to charity of your choice, do not even bother to give it a chance.

1) does not allow to chnage relative distance of subwoofers [as opposed to manual and app set-up
2) sends completely wrong data to AVR - computer vs AVR

View attachment 180807
vs
View attachment 180809

but worst of all

this is the result - subs blue - 20 dollars app vs red 200USD app.
View attachment 180811
The distances are more accurate from MultEQ-X. They don't display correctly in the AVR. Do not change them.

Zedly

Forum Donor
pffffffffffff - this app is one real piece of shit, no offence. I am not easily offended, but this is really really bad.
Go and donate to charity of your choice, do not even bother to give it a chance.

1) does not allow to chnage relative distance of subwoofers [as opposed to manual and app set-up

This isn't the case for me. I am able to change the subwoofer distances and trims in the app.

2022-01-21 21_15_45-MultEQ-X.png

Fidji

This isn't the case for me. I am able to change the subwoofer distances and trims in the app.
@Zedly , maybe I miss smth, In the set-up -I mean this option [available in on-screen and manual menu, and ipad app]
1642829048629.png

vs

1642829602192.png

I would not have any problem, but the RESULTS are just really bad. I know from the experience that all is good with 120-125 cm relative distance. If I can get green curve in Ipad app [by ALWAYS needing to adjust relative distance] , why should I bother to use 200USD version, that gives me purple curve .... Should not Subwoofer and Bass correction be real bread and butter of any DRC?
1642829677887.png

Thanks in advance, for any advice, maybe even somebody from Audyssey coming here to check ;-)

and these are the filters to get to this glorious purple wave - adding 10dB on 70Hz ...... and still getting this ......

1642832111149.png

Last edited:

CBM

Anyone else tried multeq-x? What's your opinion? Anyone have REW charts?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Sound And Vision published an article of an interview of Jeff Clark, Director of Software Engineering, Audyssey Laboratories

Most interesting part:
S&V: What’s next for Audyssey and MultEQ-X?
Clark: We’re listening closely to early feedback and encouraging everyone to make their voices heard at Ask.Audyssey.com, our tech support ticketing system. We’re hard at work on Version 1.1, which will deliver customer-driven features, including target-curve EQ import. After that, we plan to implement some of the big ideas that we’ve had floating around in an effort to make MultEQ calibration even better. Users should expect regular updates and we’re excited to deliver them.

Meanwhile, we’re readying two hardware offerings that will give users even more precise measurements. The first is a special electronic adapter cable that will allow users of our Audyssey Pro Calibration Kit to use the kit with MultEQ-X and the latest AVRs; those users will also be able to extend the microphone cable up to 1 kilometer (3,281 feet). The second item is a more consumer-friendly — and lower-priced — calibrated microphone. We haven’t announced delivery dates yet, but registered MultEQ-X users — even those not yet licensed — will be notified by e-mail when these items are available.

Datec

I like the idea of using another mic hopefully one like the Earthworks m30 or m50 that I'm looking into. In the meantime I'm sure the mic that came in my Pro set is better then what came with my Marantz 8805.

Copied from article....

Calibrated microphone support. Compatible microphones are expected to be available by the end of March.

Fidji

I like the idea of using another mic hopefully one like the Earthworks m30 or m50 that I'm looking into. In the meantime I'm sure the mic that came in my Pro set is better then what came with my Marantz 8805.

Copied from article....

Calibrated microphone support. Compatible microphones are expected to be available by the end of March.

I don't have the impression, that measurements quality would be the biggest issue if Audyssey - as the curves I am getting from Audyssey measurments are very similar to the ones from REW.

As long as they do not fix their algorithms this is still the same thing, with fancier GUI.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as they do not fix their algorithms this is still the same thing, with fancier GUI.
I have not used the new software, but from my reading it is much more than a fancier GUI... yes, I would expect the actual algorithms to be the same, but the new software does much more and from the sounds of it will continue to add to it. Things like PEQ, tilt, and several other things that you can’t do with the built in receiver or app. Whether ones wants these things is another matter but these new tools are there. If I still was using Audyssey and planned to keep my receiver for a while, I would get it because the new tools can make it easier to get the best sound out of you system.
Just to not to have to hand draw the curves on the Audyssey app for every channel would have been worth it to me If I was still using Audyssey!

Last edited:

wheresmymoney

Is there any content at Ask.Audyssey.com newer than 2016?
Funny thing about that site; they had some links for things like "mic placement for measurements", etc. that were incorrectly pointing to "events" on their site, for things like "How to be a better cam girl". Turns out they were compromised a long time ago but never fully cleaned up. I've seen this weird content there for months.
1643235607695.png

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone else tried multeq-x? What's your opinion? Anyone have REW charts?

I bought the software yesterday. I just saw your post and didn't save my REW measurements but they matched very well with the Audyssey prediction, the sub was dead on as well.

I purchased the software because it seemed like it offered quite a lot of flexibility. While I'm not claiming it's perfect, I can't say I'm disappointed with the results. I'm not one to change receivers often, so for me the non-transferability is not really an issue.

CBM

I bought the software yesterday. I just saw your post and didn't save my REW measurements but they matched very well with the Audyssey prediction, the sub was dead on as well.

I purchased the software because it seemed like it offered quite a lot of flexibility. While I'm not claiming it's perfect, I can't say I'm disappointed with the results. I'm not one to change receivers often, so for me the non-transferability is not really an issue.
Thank you. Have you used the app before? Anyone else tried the new multeq-x?

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I haven't. I had looked into it in the past but for me it didn't offer all of the control I wanted.

prerich

I own the product, paid the $199...because I see myself with my current prepro for quite a few years. However, I believe the price is too high (if they want it to profitable). With the current model - $125 should be the top price. There's a lot of different things you can do with this, but once you get rid of your AVR/Prepro ...you can't pass that cost on to your buyer because it's tied to the hardware and the microsoft account of the used :facepalm:o_O:confused:.

prerich

Oh...and do not use this with a desktop PC connected to your prepro/avr...you will not be able to see your program on screen as the program disables all OSD....you must use it from either a laptop or a PC connected directly to a monitor.

prerich

That would be great if that is true, I'm sure the mic in the kit is far better then the one that came with the PrePro. Like you stated the use of an even better mic would be a huge plus. Using a laptop is far easier then a tablet at least for me anyhow. Hopefully load times get sped up also for comparison of different curves.
Load time speeds are decent. Not the fastest, but faster than the app. Time between measurements is much faster as well.

prerich

I've been using it since 01/28/2022

prerich

I haven't. I had looked into it in the past but for me it didn't offer all of the control I wanted.
What other controls would you like to have? There are a lot of options in the curve design section - you really have to drill down to see all that it offers. I'm actually using a tilt curve on one preset to give me a curve like the Harman curve. I'm still experimenting and asking question over at Audyssey.

Top Bottom