• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Are you a current Denon/Marantz AVR Owner and if so what do you think of Audyssey's MultEQ-X?

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I've already purchased it.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I’m willing to spend the money once I learn more.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower is better.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower lower is better.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• I'm not an owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• Other (please explain).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My guess is it's for two reasons. First is for familiarity. Second is for compatibility with filters generated in REW.
It wouldn't impact PEQ entry, though. It would just be an option hidden under an "Advanced" menu for those familiar with it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have two subs for better bass for my sweet spot first, and for better bass for the other seats second. I think multiple subs only being good for a wider area is a misconception.
Absolutely, using multipul subs in varied locations allows us to smooth the FR at the ML without extreme use of EQ! I only have one seat possible in the listening area so that's the focused goal.
I been using 6 points for some time now, the ML, 16" to the l & r, and the same three about 16" to the front of the first three. This has work quite well for me. My lounge chair is just off the rear wall and everything I've read has warned not to do measurements close to a wall and that only makes sense to me so I skip the rear.

I'm not a coder but I am a bit confused on the mic issue. Since AFAIK all the measurement are being done and fed into the program running in the PC. So why is it such a problem to use a umik with it's individual calibration file while plugged into the PC's USB?
No huge issue in any case since if you want to be accurate, you will go back and measure the results with REW and your Umik, then tweak the Audyssey calibration as needed.
Nothing and no body is perfect, remember what they did to the last guy that was perfect. :eek:
jesus-god-bless.gif

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not a coder but I am a bit confused on the mic issue. Since AFAIK all the measurement are being done and fed into the program running in the PC. So why is it such a problem to use a umik with it's individual calibration file while plugged into the PC's USB?
Well, it's a whole extra sort of work they just currently don't do. At the minute they have no support for any microphones on anything other than the AVR. The whole thing is built around the AVR doing its sweep and sending the data off for analysis. That's the way it's always worked, including Audyssey Pro.

And you can't get the PC to produce the sweeps straightforwardly because you can't control individual speakers in the way the AVR can. Even if you could produce an Atmos stream, I'm not sure you could directly control one specific height speaker discretely.

And when the AVR's producing the sweeps, they don't have the mechanism to co-ordinate with the PC for stuff like "that sweep was bad, do it again". It's an automated process using the inbuilt mic. There won't be a "sweep FL now" command the PC can send to it. At least not in current versions.

Basically, it's a huge amount of work compared to "port the control app back to PC resurrecting some of the Audyssey Pro functions and a bit more".

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Basically, it's a huge amount of work compared to "port the control app back to PC resurrecting som
Thanks for some insight. As I mentioned, I'm not really concerned with it as we can all use REW later.
I just know that the designers will get a lot over flak this.
I do believe this release was a very limited one designed mainly to make owners of older gear happy. The future is sure to bring updates that will make it more directly competitive with the top levels of Dirac.
We shall see. ;)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it's a whole extra sort of work they just currently don't do. At the minute they have no support for any microphones on anything other than the AVR. The whole thing is built around the AVR doing its sweep and sending the data off for analysis. That's the way it's always worked, including Audyssey Pro.
That's the key. The AVR is doing all of the work, still. They can expose additional controls and tweaking options but at this point they can't reengineer Audyssey itself unless Sound United opens up the box.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The EQ filters have always known what the crossover is, and I was always under the impression that regardless of what the "after" display shows, they're actually setting up the EQ filters to get the crossover shape right.

Then how would you explain the weirdness in the MultEQ X debut video where the SU guy massively jacks up the bass in the target curve on one (or both?) of the main channels, without regard to the subwoofer?

When the App came out I asked everyone I could how one could set a tilt curve and have the mains splice with the subs at the correct level, given that managed is being displayed and controlled in a whole different graph than the bass-managed channels Nobody ever did give me a straight answer.

joentell

Reviewer
Then how would you explain the weirdness in the MultEQ X debut video where the SU guy massively jacks up the bass in the target curve on one (or both?) of the main channels, without regard to the subwoofer?

When the App came out I asked everyone I could how one could set a tilt curve and have the mains splice with the subs at the correct level, given that managed is being displayed and controlled in a whole different graph than the bass-managed channels Nobody ever did give me a straight answer.
I've been in that room when I visited and those "main" speakers have subwoofers connected to them. The "jacked up" bass is based on the natural response within the room. A lot of people use something similar to a Harman target which has a 9dB-10dB bass rise.

One thing to know about how Audyssey works is it attempts to keep levels the same despite the filters used. It calculates the affects of boosts and cuts and keeps the relative level the same. If you really want to be sure there's a blend, that would require a measurement after the filters are set and make sure the speakers align at the crossover points. Another way is to calibrate the mains and the subs to flat, make sure the levels are the same, and add the tilt globally to all speakers.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been in that room when I visited and those "main" speakers have subwoofers connected to them. The "jacked up" bass is based on the natural response within the room.

While that may be true, it's out of the scope of my point - he was adjusting the main channel well below the presumptive bass management. So basically either that twiddling is either going to be EQ'ed out to fit the highpass (i.e. pointless) or it's going to fight with the AVR bass management rolloff and affect the in-room bass response who-knows-how (i.e. terrible).

This would not be a problem if bass management were properly integrated into the room correction. Then one could draw a target curve for the whole channel.

Alternately, is it set up as "double bass?" If so, that's even worse for the combined response! Audyssey will EQ the main to whatever target curve and separately EQ the subwoofer(s) to whatever subwoofer target curve is chosen for the subs, and likely do a great job with both independent parts. But then the mains and subs will interact, and the end result will be nothing like whatever target curve was chosen.

A lot of people use something similar to a Harman target which has a 9dB-10dB bass rise.

The current Harman target is actually more like an ~8dB total tilt with a ~3dB rise to 20Hz (re 1kHz), but yes there are older ones with more of a "ski jump" profile that may concentrate more rise in the bass.

However, here my point is that because you mess with integrated parts separately you're apt to introduce interactions at cross purposes with whatever you want to do. So what you draw isn't likely to be what you get through the mains/subs crossover region.

If you really want to be sure there's a blend, that would require a measurement after the filters are set and make sure the speakers align at the crossover points.

I'm well aware of that because I spent a long and tedious afternoon figuring it out...it doesn't always work the way you'd expect and in the end it takes a lot of trial and error to get something as simple as a constant tilt to stitch correctly between bass and bass-managed fronts. Maybe the new app improves on that, as there's a tilt target built in?

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nobody ever did give me a straight answer.
Humm,
Say Jay, is that your actual mug shot in your avatar?
What crime did you commit?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I hope that's a joke, Sal, because if you don't recognize that American hero...that's just sad.
I haven't a clue who that is?
I know it's not O. J.

Newman

Major Contributor
Using PEQ doesn’t seem to delete the automated target curve, as was my previous impression. (Or does it?)
Please let me know when there is more certainty on this point. I think it’s important.

Cheers

Soundmixer

Sneak Peak:
Based on this video (and I sat through it all), I decided to purchase a license for my X8500HA. I would purchase another license for my other Denon receiver, but it is going to be replaced soon, and their policy of tying a license to a specific receiver stops me in my tracks on this one.

While I understand Audyssey's need to recoup their R&D investment, the major complaint I see on the social networks on this is not the price overall, but having to pay for a new license every time they upgrade their Denon or Marantz AVR.

Audyssey's Rep does say they are open to comments, so perhaps if enough people complain about this, they will change their policy. It is clear they were listening to comment about the app, hence why they released this software.

I do think this upgrade does put Audyssey on the same flooring as Dirac. Trinnov....no way.

Datec

Based on this video (and I sat through it all), I decided to purchase a license for my X8500HA. I would purchase another license for my other Denon receiver, but it is going to be replaced soon, and their policy of tying a license to a specific receiver stops me in my tracks on this one.

While I understand Audyssey's need to recoup their R&D investment, the major complaint I see on the social networks on this is not the price overall, but having to pay for a new license every time they upgrade their Denon or Marantz AVR.

Audyssey's Rep does say they are open to comments, so perhaps if enough people complain about this, they will change their policy. It is clear they were listening to comment about the app, hence why they released this software.

I do think this upgrade does put Audyssey on the same flooring as Dirac. Trinnov....no way.
It doesn't hurt to try it. Yea I know it's $200, really though that shouldn't break anyone in this hobby who tweaks their system or likes to tweak and fiddle with it. Shit.. one of my interconnects cost that much and I got 7 just to tweak things and see what changes. Hell my last tweak was a $10k Bryston 6b sst to run my front 3, guess what? The $3200 Sherbourn 7200a that they were on sounds 95% the same, the difference I got was just a slight upper freq increase with the Bryston. That advice came from a trusted installer I know that said it would spank the Sherbourn turns out to be not true, don't know till you try.

That's why I bought it the 1st day I want to tweak and improve the sound. Now if someone could guide me and others with this software instead of bitching that would be awesome, cause I know there has to be some smart experienced people on here that could help. So if you all don't mind could you assist the ones that need it?

Soundmixer

It doesn't hurt to try it. Yea I know it's $200, really though that shouldn't break anyone in this hobby who tweaks their system or likes to tweak and fiddle with it.
I love to tweak, and I agree $200 dollars isn't a deal-breaker IF I have a new AVR. If I have an AVR that will be replaced next year, then spending $200 dollars makes no sense, I will get the license when I upgrade.

Folks have a right to bitch. Sound United AND Audyssey set a precedent with the APP, and this is a complete turnabout.

Datec

I love to tweak, and I agree $200 dollars isn't a deal-breaker IF I have a new AVR. If I have an AVR that will be replaced next year, then spending $200 dollars makes no sense, I will get the license when I upgrade.

Folks have a right to bitch. Sound United AND Audyssey set a precedent with the APP, and this is a complete turnabout.
That wasn't directed towards you, just in general. It just was released and updates Im sure will be coming out. The premature complaining is nerve racking and I know there are some very good guys that know what and how to use all the features in these systems. There just needs to be a little more understanding this kinda bashing will turn people away from even trying it.

If I knew I was getting a new processor, like you I wouldn't have bought it either. So after I fiddle with it and something still dosent sound the way I want, it might be the next to go. Currently I'm looking at my speakers as a focus that might be on the chopping block in my system but I won't know till I play with it.

Trell

Major Contributor
It doesn't hurt to try it. Yea I know it's $200, really though that shouldn't break anyone in this hobby who tweaks their system or likes to tweak and fiddle with it. Shit.. one of my interconnects cost that much and I got 7 just to tweak things and see what changes. Hell my last tweak was a $10k Bryston 6b sst to run my front 3, guess what? The $3200 Sherbourn 7200a that they were on sounds 95% the same, the difference I got was just a slight upper freq increase with the Bryston. That advice came from a trusted installer I know that said it would spank the Sherbourn turns out to be not true, don't know till you try.

That's why I bought it the 1st day I want to tweak and improve the sound. Now if someone could guide me and others with this software instead of bitching that would be awesome, cause I know there has to be some smart experienced people on here that could help. So if you all don't mind could you assist the ones that need it?
:facepalm:

Laniciffo

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and lack all the expertise you all show here, but I am anyway interested in this new application.
Its price is a problem for my limited budget though and I would like to be able to get a little money back from this investment when I eventually sell my avr to someone else.
So I have one question for those who already tried the app:
Is the one user+one receiver lock based on a heos account, a Microsoft account (windows store) or just an e-mail address?
In the latter case one could create a new e-mail address dedicated to one Av receiver and the app just before doing the sw purchase.
Then, when the original owner of the app eventually decides that his beloved avr and he have to part ways, he could just hand over control of that address to the new owner of the avr.

As with so many applications based on accounts, I suspect there is a password recovery procedure that is e-mail based.
I suspect that could be a trick to work around the one-user lock.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and lack all the expertise you all show here, but I am anyway interested in this new application.
Its price is a problem for my limited budget though and I would like to be able to get a little money back from this investment when I eventually sell my avr to someone else.
So I have one question for those who already tried the app:
Is the one user+one receiver lock based on a heos account, a Microsoft account (windows store) or just an e-mail address?
In the latter case one could create a new e-mail address dedicated to one Av receiver and the app just before doing the sw purchase.
Then, when the original owner of the app eventually decides that his beloved avr and he have to part ways, he could just hand over control of that address to the new owner of the avr.

As with so many applications based on accounts, I suspect there is a password recovery procedure that is e-mail based.
I suspect that could be a trick to work around the one-user lock.
It is email, and that is clever...it could work.

Top Bottom