• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey Room EQ Review

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dynamic EQ does work well and I used it on and off as well. My only complaint is it messes with the souround speaker levels depending on the volume just like bass. I found it raised the levels quite a bit too much when listening at lower volumes. Some may like that part of DEQ but ultimately it caused me to not use it.
I found this as well, my solution was to go to levels and pull down the surrounds about 5.5db. Sounds good now to my ears.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried that too... but at high volume I found the levels too low for surrounds. Someday they need an option to not adjust surround levels...

GalZohar

I have Dynamic EQ on...seems to work well on lower volumes. As for the curve, I adjusted all of the speakers LRC and Surrounds to the same curve but I didn't touch the sub....I left it flat and I have more bass than I can handle without adding more there. In fact, my question is whether the sub should be turned down a bit as the EQ for the sub expects a flat FR and now all of the speakers have added bass. Seems in my mind that the sub should go down because more bass is coming through the other speakers. Am I not thinking about it correctly?

As far as I understand, that's not what this curve is intended to do. If you find the bass excessive then just use a flat (or flatter) curve, but do make sure your sub's curve matches your speakers and don't manually adjust the levels (unless if they were measured wrong, but then you should probably just rerun Audyssey until you get sensible results).

I tried that too... but at high volume I found the levels too low for surrounds. Someday they need an option to not adjust surround levels...

Seems like some people have problems with that. Seems like sounds coming from your sides don't actually need that boost. However, it's easier to compensate for it by constantly adjusting the surround volume depending on your volume, rather than turn off DEQ and try to constantly adjust he EQ depending on your volume... But yeah they should really make a way to tone that effect down. For me it seems to work well as my surrounds are more behind me due to practical room limitations, although I think I need to find some specific demo videos for more appropriate testing - In movies it's never clear how loud they were supposed to be.

Last edited:

Nootmuskaatje

Sub EQ is amazing. Blue is before Audyssey XT32, purple is after. Gave it another 3dB boost at 30Hz (green line) in the SVS app (Pb-1000 pro). I often watch movies between -20 and -25 (with DEQ at -10dB), so I don't think that +-9dB boost will turn into a problem.
Ipqk7DUNKcUdfePN6EGYBpNQ.png

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sub EQ is amazing. Blue is before Audyssey XT32, purple is after. Gave it another 3dB boost at 30Hz (green line) in the SVS app (Pb-1000 pro). I often watch movies between -20 and -25 (with DEQ at -10dB), so I don't think that +-9dB boost will turn into a problem.
Ipqk7DUNKcUdfePN6EGYBpNQ.png
Boosts require a ton of power in particular at 30hz. Audyssey has already elected to boost the dip quite a bit. On top of that you have boosted it more via DSP in your sub. On top of that DEQ will boost the entire low frequency region even more (Quite a lot at low volumes). Have you run the same sweep with DEQ on at say -20 or -25 to see how big the boost is after DEQ is applied?

Nootmuskaatje

Boosts require a ton of power in particular at 30hz. Audyssey has already elected to boost the dip quite a bit. On top of that you have boosted it more via DSP in your sub. On top of that DEQ will boost the entire low frequency region even more (Quite a lot at low volumes). Have you run the same sweep with DEQ on at say -20 or -25 to see how big the boost is after DEQ is applied?
What ahould I be looking for during such a sweep? The sweep done below is the average of my front l/r is with DEQ at -10dB and the avr at - 22,5. Without DEQ the bass response is more flat/a slight upwards slope to 100Hz, with DEQ it gives a nice downward slope.
1635829860118.png

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
What ahould I be looking for during such a sweep? The sweep done below is the average of my front l/r is with DEQ at -10dB and the avr at - 22,5. Without DEQ the bass response is more flat/a slight upwards slope to 100Hz, with DEQ it gives a nice downward slope.
View attachment 162699

Better if you use the more standard 50dB vertical scale (set via graph axis limits) to make it more easily comparable/readable.

Take a snapshot using the camera button at the upper left hand corner of the graph. The ff. are settings I normally use:

1635848597023.png

Nootmuskaatje

How about the individual channels: do they match each other well? No phase cancellation when vector averaged? If not, then you're room response (magnitude) is likely good.
I think they do, within about +-3dB. It's a bit challenging to see, I didn't compensate for the SPL difference after all my tweaks. So only measurements I've left have the center boosted by 2dB and the surrounds lowered by 2dB. DEQ increases the surround channel, so I had to compensate that. The center and surround measurement is also before adding 3dB at 30Hz in the SVS app.

Only problem is my center which has 2 dips at 105 and 131Hz. Both my left speakers (surround and front) have a little boost at 100-200Hz, while my right speakers have some dips there like my center. The average seems good though. There's not much more I can do, since that's a room problem.

The average measurement from before is slightly off. It's boosted from 100 to 400Hz, while it should only boost to 200. The average fronts below is the right one. Also without extra smoothing, it was already averaged with var smoothing.

1635886650431.png

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better if you use the more standard 50dB vertical scale (set via graph axis limits) to make it more easily comparable/readable.

Take a snapshot using the camera button at the upper left hand corner of the graph. The ff. are settings I normally use:

View attachment 162738
I like 1920 pixels so it gives full resolution to most people's devices, so I can see all the details, and so in the future I'm not looking at a tiny image on a 10k monitor :)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I like 1920 pixels so it gives full resolution to most people's devices, so I can see all the details, and so in the future I'm not looking at a tiny image on a 10k monitor :)

It's a bit difficult to read on a tiny device. I suspect a significant proportion of people use portable devices as well e.g. phones and tablets or portable laptops. Besides, I regularly move my positioning, change crossovers, and alter EQ, play with FIR filters... -- none of my settings is ever permanent! Eh, I'm not aiming for eternal posterity like some of you folks. ;)

Nootmuskaatje

BTW, those are narrow. You’re not going to notice it with normal program material as much as you think — but only with synthetic sine tones.
I couldn't even tell with a sweep, let alone actual content. Only the 30Hz dip is audible, but even then the subwoofer is still one amazing work of art, doing a good job on it's own.

davidc

Forum Donor
A question:

I noticed that there has been a change in the instructions for microphone placement when setting up Audyssey.

In the instruction manual for my older Denon 4311ci, it states:

Measurements are performed by placing the setup microphone successively at multiple positions throughout the entire listening area as shown in Fig. 1

But, the instructions for my new Denon x4700h it states:

When measuring the second and subsequent positions, install the Sound calibration microphone within 2 ft (60 cm) of the first measurement position (main listening position).

But...both instructions have the same picture of an overhead view of a sofa with 2 chairs on either side, and microphone positions spread all throughout the area, were it is clear the postions are each at least 2-3 feet from each other, and some at least 6 feet apart.

What gives? Which direction should I follow? My wife and I each sit on opposite sides of the sofa.

Nootmuskaatje

A question:

I noticed that there has been a change in the instructions for microphone placement when setting up Audyssey.

Measurements are performed by placing the setup microphone successively at multiple positions throughout the entire listening area as shown in Fig. 1

When measuring the second and subsequent positions, install the Sound calibration microphone within 2 ft (60 cm) of the first measurement position (main listening position).

But...both instructions have the same picture of an overhead view of a sofa with 2 chairs on either side, and microphone positions spread all throughout the area, were it is clear the postions are each at least 2-3 feet from each other, and some at least 6 feet apart.

What gives? Which direction should I follow? My wife and I each sit on opposite sides of the sofa.
You want to follow the instructions on the x4700h. Calibrating with the points too far apart can give bad results. You also don't want to use the points behind the couch where nobody sits.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question:

The app doesn't show any chairs (by the way, use the app, not the AVR program), but yes, you want to keep all of the points within 1 foot if doing a full-range calibration for yourself. Do a 2nd one with 2 foot spacing and switch when you have people over. If limiting to bass only, you can spread them out further, still keeping in mind you want a tighter spread for just yourself.

GalZohar

The sketch is wrong and even Audyssey themselves admit it (Sorry, don't remember where to find it right now). Just measure a few symmetric spots around the listening position.

davidc

Forum Donor
The sketch is wrong and even Audyssey themselves admit it (Sorry, don't remember where to find it right now). Just measure a few symmetric spots around the listening position.

Thanks. I figured that. I wonder if they have made a change in the software in the last 10 yrs (doubt it), or just the recommendations .

Last edited:
Top Bottom