• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey Room EQ Review

Tenfilip

i have a stupid question about how audyssey works
If i connect or disconnect a subwoofer will it deactivate audyssey force me to rerun calibration
I have a preset that i dont want to lose lol
What is stupid is not the question but lack of hardware specification:) Likely you can save all the settings to a pendrive, or just use the phone app.

amper42

Major Contributor
The funny thing about this is that i have changed the preset too many times to be aware which preset i am currently using which is why i am worried i will lose the preset
I have tried to replicate the preset in the multeq app with no results
Thank you for the tip about usb i was not aware its possible to send preset from the avr to an usb drive

If you have a Denon AVR the best accessory you can buy is the "Audyssey MultiEQ App". For $19.99, it works on an iPad or an Android tablet or a phone and gives you more flexibility than using the AVR. Plus, it lets you edit your presets and load them back on the Denon AVR. It's a must have GEM. Here are a few of the features:
1. Audyssey MultiEQ App gives you a nice mobile screen for creating Audyssey settings and saving them. You can even run Audyssey while in a different room from the AVR.

2. Save as many presets as you want. It's not limited to two like the AVR. I have over 10 presets on my iPad that I have created for various speakers and different setups.

3. Want to change the Freq. effected by Audyssey? Easily done with the app.

4. Want to remove the BBC dip that Audyssey automatically builds into every EQ preset. The app does this too.

5. Want to edit an existing Audyssey setting and load it back to the AVR. Yes, it does this too.

6. Everything Audyssey can do via the Denon remote is available with the app, PLUS lots of adjustments you can't do without the app. If you don't have it you are missing out. You will never be concerned about losing a preset as you know a copy is automatically stored on your tablet/phone too and you can rename them so you know exactly what each one does. These EQ files are easily reloaded to any Denon preset when you want them. What's not to like?

7. It's the best $20 accessory you will ever purchase for your Denon! It's clear from the question posted you don't have the app yet. :)

gelv

The funny thing about this is that i have changed the preset too many times to be aware which preset i am currently using which is why i am worried i will lose the preset
I have tried to replicate the preset in the multeq app with no results
Thank you for the tip about usb i was not aware its possible to send preset from the avr to an usb drive then i will experiment with changing then adding subwoofer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
7. It's the best $20 accessory you will ever purchase for your Denon! It's clear from the question posted you don't have the app yet
Totally agree!
The biggest negative of the app is the small screen on which it's viewed and difficulty in making small changes to the response settings. I've found it hugely beneficial to run the app in a android emulator software like Bluestacks on my PC and large monitor.
Just another enhancement.

MrJoePike

My Denon 3700 works with the included mic and receiver app to complete a calibration and setup.
Bought the now $25 Audyssey Multeq app so I could turn off the BBC dip.
No matter what do I can’t turn my sub loud enough. I move to next step and the app says the room is too noisy. I’m then stuck and can’t complete the calibration.
Moving the mic in front of the sub doesn’t move the slider, tapping it does.
Also moving the mic directly in front of the speaker cures the room too noisy problem. But returns as soon as I move the mic away for the next speaker.

Long of the short is seems the iPhone app version isn’t using the mic correctly. Don’t see anyone else having this issue on initial setup.

The mic to app mismatch again only happens with the paid app version not with the receivers internal audyssey program.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
That is good to hear
I am having a fun experiment with different subwoofers with REW
Post another thread to tell us! Room correction though will correct for the subwoofer you used when you ran it-so if you change subs then the correction is to some extent wrong with the other subs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No matter what do I can’t turn my sub loud enough. I move to next step and the app says the room is too noisy. I’m then stuck and can’t complete the calibration.
Can you complete a Audyssey setup with the onboard software?
Does your sub have a input level control, turn that up some first.
Also moving the mic directly in front of the speaker cures the room too noisy problem. But returns as soon as I move the mic away for the next speaker.
None of that will ever create a proper setup, don't waste you time with that.

I've been using the app for years, I'm sorry but something is very amiss in your operation of it.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
My Denon 3700 works with the included mic and receiver app to complete a calibration and setup.
Bought the now $25 Audyssey Multeq app so I could turn off the BBC dip.

Long of the short is seems the iPhone app version isn’t using the mic correctly. Don’t see anyone else having this issue on initial setup.

The mic to app mismatch again only happens with the paid app version not with the receivers internal audyssey program.
You mostly likely have a defective microphone. Contact Denon support and ask for a replacement. I had the same experience with my 4800, and a replacement mic solved the problem.

MrJoePike

I can complete a setup with the onboard application and this mic. Moving the mic was to test my theory it was picking up any sound.

I think the idea to pursue a new mic and that this one is defective is the best next step.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can complete a setup with the onboard application and this mic. Moving the mic was to test my theory it was picking up any sound.

I think the idea to pursue a new mic and that this one is defective is the best next step.
If it works correctly for the std setup, I can't understand why it wouldn't do so with Editor?
Maybe you know someone around you that has a Marantz or Denon receiver mic to borrow, they're all the same.

gelv

My biggest issue with the app is that its really difficult to get the pins moving if there are pins close to each other
They start to snap to grid it looks like a bug on the ipad

The app also insists on crossover points it doesnt help to change them to large in the app the HP filter or What its called is fixed
It doesnt look like picture online where the pin goes straight line to 0hz
For me it starts to go down around a fixed point

gelv

Adding subwoofer without rerunning audyssey did not work
Audyssey became greyed out with the audio sounding like pure mode

I take it as If i run calibration then go back to my prefered preset it will revert back to 1 subwoofer which make my little experiment impossible

ExPerfectionist

Adding subwoofer without rerunning audyssey did not work
Audyssey became greyed out with the audio sounding like pure mode

I take it as If i run calibration then go back to my prefered preset it will revert back to 1 subwoofer which make my little experiment impossible

Yes, you cannot add a second subwoofer to the output of the receiver for its own subwoofer signal feed without requiring a re-do of the calibration. It is no longer the same configuration of speakers.

You could split the output of the main sub output to feed two different subwoofers, but the Audyssey auto-eq settings wouldn't be applicable to the performance of the 2 subs.

Your receiver should have two speaker setting presets that you can switch between. You could set one for single sub, and the second preset to running both subs. Swapping between the two should be quick and easy.

Top Bottom