• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey/REW newbie challenge

Astroboydivx

Hi all,

Firstly thanks to everyone on this forum for making it such an amazing community. I've learnt so much reading here.

I have a 2.1 system with Kef LS50's and a Rel T5/i powered by a Marantz NR1604 AVR and March Audio P452 power amp. I use Roon on my Raspberry Pi and it's Boss DAC to stream music to the Marantz.

I've recently bought a UMIK-1 and downloaded REW, with the intention of improving sound quality. I was going to measure and tweak (first time) and upload my house curve with the Audyssey MultEq app to my AVR. Unfortunately the NR1604 only supports Audyssey MultEq not XT or XT32, so the app isn't registering the AVR.

So from here I'm unclear if I should upgrade my Marantz AVR to one that supports Audyssey XT, or buy a MiniDSP 2x4HD with Dirac, or something else..

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hello.

I don't have an AVR.

I don't have Dirac.

I don't have the LS50.

That makes it difficult for me to have an opinion.

Seems if you got the miniDSP you could eliminate the AVR.

I use a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC and am not disappointed with it, but, it doesn't directly address the use of subwoofers - digital 2 channels in and out.

---

What problem did you find using REW that you want to resolve?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So from here I'm unclear if I should upgrade my Marantz AVR to one that supports Audyssey XT, or buy a MiniDSP 2x4HD with Dirac, or something else..

If it were me, I'd have to be really convinced that Dirac just blows the doors off Audyssey to bother with the clutter of an external box.

I think, instead, a lot of DRC success comes down to the execution by the individual and how closely your room maps to the algos.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately the NR1604 only supports Audyssey MultEq not XT or XT32, so the app isn't registering the AVR.
The reason why NR1604 is not supported by the Audyssey app is due to it being an older receiver and not because it's MultEQ only. My Denon S740H only has MultEQ, yet it does work with the Audyssey app.

The description on google play store lists all compatible receivers:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.AudysseyMultEq&hl=en_US&gl=US

What are people's thoughts?
No personal experience with MiniDSP; however, from everything I've read it'll give you more flexibility than the Audyssey app.

OP
A

Astroboydivx

OP
A

Astroboydivx

Just to close this out, I've looked into the cost of purchasing an AVR that supports the Audyssey MultEq app vs purchasing a Minidsp SHD, and have decided on the latter. Potentially this will allow me to remove my Rpi from the chain also. I will sell my Marantz AVR in a couple of week's time. Thanks for everyone's input.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just to close this out, I've looked into the cost of purchasing an AVR that supports the Audyssey MultEq app vs purchasing a Minidsp SHD, and have decided on the latter. Potentially this will allow me to remove my Rpi from the chain also. I will sell my Marantz AVR in a couple of week's time. Thanks for everyone's input.
So you took my advice, good. I think this will work well for you. Please feel free to provide the update once you got it all configured and setup. ;)

gvl

Major Contributor
You could in theory perform DSP on the Pi, some distros like Volumio support BruteFIR. Unclear if this supports more than 2 channels or works at all in your situation, so it's just a thought.

Top Bottom