• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

audyssey multeq for stereo?

Smitty2k1

Now that I have my basic equipment and my new listening space set up it's time to start on room correction. Here's my current system -

Sources:
-Turntable through a phono preamp
-Television with audio out via HDMI or Optical (apps like Netflix)
-Streamer (currently HEOS built in the AVR but may swap to a Pi in the future)

- Marantz NR1509 AVR (HDMI pass through, HEOS, bass management)
- Ncore Hypex N252MP power amp
- Alexis Sound Rebecca front L/R speakers
- Eventually going to add a sub
- Eventually adding a center channel... I think?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do room correction. Unfortunately my AVR only has the most basic Audyssey built in and it doesn't even support the phone app. Does this even do anything for a basic 2.0 system?

What other options do I have? Buying a better AVR seems like an option or maybe a Minidsp? But with a Minidsp what happens if I add a center channel? Can I use the AVRs built in room correction for surround sources and use a Minidsp for stereo sources? I'm not really committed to the AVR as I don't even have any HDMI sources at the moment. Maybe I'll attach a game system or computer in the future but I think those have digital ours I could use too.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I'm trying to figure out the best way to do room correction. Unfortunately my AVR only has the most basic Audyssey built in and it doesn't even support the phone app. Does this even do anything for a basic 2.0 system?
Yes, it does. I have a den/study/workroom with a Marantz NR1605 and it has the baseline Audyssey. With three on-wall speakers and miniSub, implementation of Audyssey makes it entirely tolerable. ;)
What other options do I have?
Lots but this is a freebie. Do it and let us know what you think.

GalZohar

If you want better room correction I think the most user friendly cost effective approach is to get an X3700 or better. Anything better would either cost more, require more effort to calibrate, or usually both. Minidsp won't help if you don't have pre-outs and external amplifiers (it can only EQ the sub in your receiver), and might not be the way to apply room EQ even if you do.

OP
S

Smitty2k1

If you want better room correction I think the most user friendly cost effective approach is to get an X3700 or better. Anything better would either cost more, require more effort to calibrate, or usually both. Minidsp won't help if you don't have pre-outs and external amplifiers (it can only EQ the sub in your receiver), and might not be the way to apply room EQ even if you do.
Thanks - my Marantz NR1509 does have pre-outs for the front L/R and dual subs, and I do have an external amplifier. Sadly, this model has the most basic Audessey.

Tenfilip

Thanks - my Marantz NR1509 does have pre-outs for the front L/R and dual subs, and I do have an external amplifier. Sadly, this model has the most basic Audessey.
Still, you could use the 20$ app to try to get a bit more our of it. Yes, I know I'm late to the party.

OP
S

Smitty2k1

Still, you could use the 20$ app to try to get a bit more our of it. Yes, I know I'm late to the party.
It didn't work with the app, needed the next model. Ended up getting a used Denon x3500

Tenfilip

It didn't work with the app, needed the next model. Ended up getting a used Denon x3500
Oh, nice, I got the same. Still, I believe it's worth the have the app but I would recommend using it over Ethernet rather than Wifi (so both the Ethernet and Android are connected via Ethernet cable).

OP
S

Smitty2k1

Oh, nice, I got the same. Still, I believe it's worth the have the app but I would recommend using it over Ethernet rather than Wifi (so both the Ethernet and Android are connected via Ethernet cable).
I got the app! I also just ran my first REW sweeps this week so I can figure out what to tweak using the app. I now have way more eq than I'm knowledgeable what to do with - Audyssey xt32 on AVR, audyssey app, REW + UMIK1, and SVS Pro sub with their app.

Tenfilip

I got the app! I also just ran my first REW sweeps this week so I can figure out what to tweak using the app. I now have way more eq than I'm knowledgeable what to do with - Audyssey xt32 on AVR, audyssey app, REW + UMIK1, and SVS Pro sub with their app.
If you want to go deeper - you can actually extract the data from the app and view in on PC (and modify): https://www.avsforum.com/threads/an...r-tweaking-audyssey-multeq-app-files.3006886/

A bit too much for me personally. There is also an official PC app, but the pricing is insane and it's only per AMP, so if you change the AMP, you need to pay again!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If you use REW to guide you, you should be able to get a very flat response for the bass range, then you can customize the bass tilt to your liking.

If I can do this, so can you:

1680871722516.jpeg

Top Bottom