• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey microphone with REW ?

oldsysop

I know this is not optimal, but can I use an audyssey microphone with REW?
Could someone make a quick measurement comparing the audyssey with a calibrated Umik 1?
Thanks.

OP
oldsysop

oldsysop

Thanks mansr.
In your opinion will it work?

billybuck

I’ve had the $80 Behringer and Dayton calibration mics in my “save for later” Amazon cart for over a year, and jumped on this, thinking a cheap Audyessy mic might help me achieve my goal of World Audio Domination, but apparently the word’s gotten out. Those “cheap” Audyessys now run $75-$100 (with shipping) on eBay and are sold out everywhere else.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s +/- 2dB for the bass range which isn’t bad. The UMIK-1 has become very popular because it integrates the ADC. Biggest problem with Audyssey mic for REW is the variability of your sound card. You will get consistent results for identifying room modes which you can then tune by ear (since most people like a slightly boosted bass), but you would not trust the Audyssey mic for a full 20Hz to 20kHz EQ.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sorry for dragging up an old forum post, but a quick question about using the Audyssey microphone with REW - I understand that the calibration of the microphone is absolutely important when using REW for Room EQ - and the normal problem with not using a USB calibration microphone is the unknowns in relation to the variable quality of the microphone processing in the PC / Mac. Basically we might be able to get calibration files Audyssey device but how the audio is processed by the PC before getting to REW is the problem. So my question is has anyone tried (or even separately calibrated) using this microphone with a M1 MacBook Pro (as they would have very consistent quality as far as the components in the audio stack) or possible even better someone calibrated using a cheap Apple USBC headphone cable (the one with reasonable quality DAC)?

It seems to me as using a well known combination like an Audyssey microphone with a Apple USBC cable and REW would provide a consistent result and therefore is possible to be calibrated?

Any thoughts?

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Top Bottom