• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

audioXpress article topic suggestions

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Hi all,

As I have just started writing guest articles for audioXpress, which has 52,000 readers represented via engineers, DIY'ers, and loudspeaker enthusiasts in general, I would to hear if there are any topics that you would like me to tackle. My focus is modelling and simulation of physical effects, so loudspeaker frequency response, temporal behavior, cross-over theory, waveguide simulation, shape and topology optimization, non-linear behavior, are topics that we are thinking about for now, but I am sure that some of you have a topic that I have not thought about.

René

puppet

Of the topics you've listed, what do you think your strongest "lane" (passionate) is? I'd start there.
As time goes on, the rest will fall into place.

tuga

Major Contributor
Hi all,

As I have just started writing guest articles for audioXpress, which has 52,000 readers represented via engineers, DIY'ers, and loudspeaker enthusiasts in general, I would to hear if there are any topics that you would like me to tackle. My focus is modelling and simulation of physical effects, so loudspeaker frequency response, temporal behavior, cross-over theory, waveguide simulation, shape and topology optimization, non-linear behavior, are topics that we are thinking about for now, but I am sure that some of you have a topic that I have not thought about.

René

Is there a way to measure speaker/driver distortion/accuracy with low-level signals?

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think damping materials like foam and polyester Fibre can be a good topic. I want to see how the damping material will affect the sound going through it, and be able to know when sound choose to go through it or don't go through it because impedance is too high.

Non linear behavior on driver is another good topic. Doing a quick run down of all the non linearity that can happen on a driver would be good. The surround non linearity will be very interesting.

I am also interested in crossover theory, what even is there that we don't know?

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Of the topics you've listed, what do you think your strongest "lane" (passionate) is? I'd start there.
As time goes on, the rest will fall into place.
Oh for sure (I will probably do Loudspeaker Phase next, since I have so much material), but there are topics that I don't/can't think of, that others will able to suggest based on their passion, if that makes sense.

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
I think damping materials like foam and polyester Fibre can be a good topic. I want to see how the damping material will affect the sound going through it, and be able to know when sound choose to go through it or don't go through it because impedance is too high.

Non linear behavior on driver is another good topic. Doing a quick run down of all the non linearity that can happen on a driver would be good. The surround non linearity will be very interesting.

I am also interested in crossover theory, what even is there that we don't know?
Damping is a good one, and decivingly (did I spell that horribly) difficult to model. But I will certainly put it on the list (I will update the original post to keep track).

Non-linear behavior in general, yes. Non-linear materials, non-linear geometry, and non-linear contacts is the overall headline here.

Perhaps we know it all. I just see some of it be explained incorrectly. I do have a specific thing I want to show, where three different situations, each with two drivers, and the same polar pattern at one frequency, will have different transient behavior. We often get too used to looking at steady-state. Thank a lot for the inputs.

puppet

Oh for sure (I will probably do Loudspeaker Phase next, since I have so much material), but there are topics that I don't/can't think of, that others will able to suggest based on their passion, if that makes sense.
I like to think of things like building a house. Lot's of small items and processes that go into the building ... one thing after another in a specific order. In your case, start someplace and build on that topic.

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
I like to think of things like building a house. Lot's of small items and processes that go into the building ... one thing after another in a specific order. In your case, start someplace and build on that topic.
Then I would start from signal processing;)

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Wow didn't know that, it will be a very good one to show! But isn't passive crossover minimum phase, how can transient be different?
Because looking at one frequency will not give you the full picture. You need more data from other frequencies to calculate for example group delay. A phase delay could come from the filter function itself or the same phase delay could come from flipping the polarity of one driver. Steady state, different systems can look the same if you only look at one frequency. But the transient behaviour will reveal a difference, even at that one frequency.

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Wow didn't know that, it will be a very good one to show! But isn't passive crossover minimum phase, how can transient be different?
Oh and passive filters are not necessarily minimum phase, certainly not the total output when looking at the sum from the different drivers. I show all that in my video. It is such a common misconception even among the technical experts on this very site.

Flaesh

to measure speaker/driver distortion/accuracy with low-level signals?
Is there such a thread on this forum? On various more audiophile resources, they constantly and unsubstantiated talk about "does not play quietly"))
it could be turned into a topic in some modelling sense
What happens with (viscoelastic) deformations of hundredths and thousandths of a millimeter?..

Last edited:
OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Is there such a thread on this forum? On various more audiophile resources, they constantly and unsubstantiated talk about "does not play quietly"))

What happens with (viscoelastic) deformations of hundredths and thousandths of a millimeter?..
IT'S WHISPER QUIET!

I can't really follow what a lot of the talks on forums are about, but it is often not grounded in physics. Viscoelastics effects and creep could be something to look into.

MCH

Major Contributor
IT'S WHISPER QUIET!

I can't really follow what a lot of the talks on forums are about, but it is often not grounded in physics. Viscoelastics effects and creep could be something to look into.
You mean creep in the membrane of the speaker? That could be a wide subject with so many different materials being used (note I have no idea about speakers)

tuga

Major Contributor
IT'S WHISPER QUIET!

Klippel and Dali speakers talk about hysteresis, Klippel and Knudsen talk about creep.

Top Bottom