• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but the heat death of the universe might come first ;)

Depending on how the test is setup and the number of trials, yes obviously.
But if you go for a 10 trials run for example, the math says that a random answerer will get all correct answers 0.1% of the time.
Now, repeating that test or doing 20 runs is another story I agree.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see that AQ is still putting batteries in their cables

It's not the batteries that are the problem. It's the battery indicator light for knowing when you need to change them that is the bigger issue.

If the DBS system is such a game changer then you should be able to hear when the batteries ran out of charge.

You can't make people engage their critical thinking portion of their brains.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I found some generic cheap cables have only a single spiral wrap of less than 100%. How much is you can see the white through it. The spool of Belden 75 Ohm stranded cable I bought has a double wrap. No white even when bending and a much thicker jacket. Of course RG-6 will have a braid over foil and be pretty darn quiet. Just a pin to terminate in an RCA.

2.3k for a cable. Well for $2300; New Schiit DAC and preamp, new Parasound amp, JSL tone control, built new crossovers, and enough to pay for the all-in-one PC as a media server. Nice firm RCAs, 1 foot. And of course a Belkin USB cable as it measured better than $15 Monoprice.

I had a length of special made S-Video cable from Blue Jean. Tiny, but 75 Ohm. Never got around to trying it out. Worked for 40 fet of video, so would probably work for 2 feet of audio.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If you conduct the test enough times, someone will guess correctly by chance.
Sure but the results have to repeatable, not a one shot lucky guess.
At least an 80-90% average. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure but the results have to repeatable, not a one shot lucky guess.
At least an 80-90% average. ;)
Depends upon the number of trials you allow. Whether individually or collectively. Remember the 5% significance means there is less than 5% the results are a lucky guess. Or to put it another way around, done a 100 times, you would expect this by chance 1 of 20 times.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Depends upon the number of trials you allow. Whether individually or collectively. Remember the 5% significance means there is less than 5% the results are a lucky guess. Or to put it another way around, done a 100 times, you would expect this by chance 1 of 20 times.
Sure, just saying you couldn't allow some rectal golden horseshoe to walk in, sit down and with one 1/10,000 lucky guess, stand up and collect the million. He'd have to back it up.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To flesh out a scenario. Suppose I had each person trying to claim the prize choose 20 times. 15 of 20 correct is slightly less than 5% probability of guessing. If I gave this chance to 100 people, I'd expect 4 or maybe 5 to just happen to get 15 or more. I'd not put significant money on such a chance.

If I raise the bar to 17 of 20, then I'd expect someone would get this accidentally about once per 400 people. Alternatively requiring someone to score 15 of 20 and then score 15 of 20 again comes close to also being around a once per 400 probability.

In Richard Clark's $10,000 amplifier challenge, to claim the prize you had to score 12 of 12 and then score 12 of 12 again. Supposedly over the years a few thousand people took that test. No one claimed the prize money. I believe the odds of getting lucky 24 of 24 is just under 1 in 17 million. 20 of 20 is roughly a one in a million chance.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If, by chance, someone aces a test that is most likely not possible then:
A: The same individual must do the same test again to be sure.
B: When that one is also beyond average luck then the test should be checked with meters.

When A and B are O.K. the test is valid (for that individual), Good luck with testing interlink cables. Never going to happen unless the test was rigged or there was a give-away (such as a different sound of a relay or something else)

noiseangel

The belligerent drunk could do it. :D

solderdude

Grand Contributor
He probably only believes he could or incorrectly remember he did..:)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

sparkyuk

In Richard Clark's $10,000 amplifier challenge, to claim the prize you had to score 12 of 12 and then score 12 of 12 again. Supposedly over the years a few thousand people took that test. No one claimed the prize money. I believe the odds of getting lucky 24 of 24 is just under 1 in 17 million. 20 of 20 is roughly a one in a million chance.

Better hope the listener is not a Terry Pratchett fan as they will know that million to one chances come off nine times out of 10!

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Million-to-one_chance

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hit the lotto 3 times the last month. For $2 and $2 and $2.

Well, in this case there are no consolation prizes.. It's all or nothing

But it would definitely be interesting:
- base price of 10K
- ask for a 10$/€ entrance fee. This will be added to the price money
- if you win, you will win half the prize money. The rest will be donated to a charity of ASR's choosing
- every year half of the prize money will be donated to a charity of ASR's choosing as well, while maintaining the 10K base price

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am afraid the cashbox will only hold 10k all of the time.

Cable believers will:
A: know they are right and don't need to prove it.
B: Don't need the prize money, they rather spend it on cables as they have plenty of cash to spend.
C: Don't want possibly to be embarrased should they fail the test.
D: Think the test is rigged anyway.
E: Most don't believe in AB tests as they have been known to be inconclusive thus the test is wrong.
F: Have no intention to travel for this
G: Claim the test setup is flawed, uses not revealing music/gear
H: Due to stress 'lock-up' and can't do what they easily can at home.
I: the wrong cables are used in the test.
J: Despise Amir and don't want to meet him and certainly not be fooled by him.
K: Are convinced measurements say nothing.

I may have missed a few other reasons not to take the $10k bait. :)

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am afraid the cashbox will only hold 10k all of the time.

Thousands of people presumably have already taken the test.. based on that prize could have doubled by now..

Cable believers will:
A: know they are right and don't need to prove it.
B: Don't need the prize money, they rather spend it on cables as they have plenty of cash to spend.
C: Don't want possibly to be embarrased should they fail the test.
D: Think the test is rigged anyway.
E: Most don't believe in AB tests as they have been known to be inconclusive thus the test is wrong.
F: Have no intention to travel for this
G: Claim the test setup is flawed, uses not revealing music/gear
H: Due to stress 'lock-up' and can't do what they easily can at home.
I: the wrong cables are used in the test.
J: Despize Amir and don't want to meet him and certainly not be fooled by him.

I may have missed a few other reasons not to take the $10k bait. :)

Sure I would agree with all of that, but not only believers should attend.. for charity anyone should join in :cool: You don't even need to travel anywhere: you just fill in your guesses and mail then in :rolleyes:? For I: the solution is simple: bring your own. Of course then we first need to establish that the cable indeed measures transparently ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
It is simple. Electrical signals propagated through electrical conductors behave in accordance with well established physical laws, at least for audio frequencies.

This forum spends too much time accommodating baseless contrarians.

Too much like the feathers vs lead shot poo-pooing of gravity theory.

Top Bottom