• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Believe it or not, there is still a market for good crt TVs. They are pure analog, which matters for frame perfect inputs on vintage, analog video output games.
P1680438.jpg

:^)
I only knew Hitachi made good CRTs cause I saved a SuperScan Elite 751 from being junked by a family member this past summer.
Their 0 input latency and lack of sample-and-hold motion blur is handy for FPS and rhythm games as well- especially the blur. There are plenty of modern TN LCDs with input latency well under 1ms, which is acceptable for most people. But, absolutely none have motion clarity as good as CRTs, still. That just won't happen until manufactures can figure out efficient strobbing techniques with OLED, since LCD pixel transition times are always just too slow. CRTs' truly black blacks are also nice, of course.
I've been writing an article on CRTs and their death, actually: https://xykreilon.neocities.org/xyk/gdcr.html
It's fun playing osu! at 485p 180Hz on my G90f. Pretty swanky for a monitor from 2002.
https://tube.midov.pl/videos/watch/5c64211c-7eab-4d62-9698-e753b231dd13

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
il49j5sw.png

Additional 2x 0.5m for $10.800 american USD each.
Not bad.
No mention of gauge though.

You want gauge details? That's going to require a personal estimate, as gauges aren't offered on our site beyond the standard-offer dual 48 guage strands that come with all wires.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 89831
I only knew Hitachi made good CRTs cause I saved a SuperScan Elite 751 from being junked by a family member this past summer.
Their 0 input latency and lack of sample-and-hold motion blur is handy for FPS and rhythm games as well- especially the blur. There are plenty of modern TN LCDs with input latency well under 1ms, which is acceptable for most people. But, absolutely none have motion clarity as good as CRTs, still. That just won't happen until manufactures can figure out efficient strobbing techniques with OLED, since LCD pixel transition times are always just too slow. CRTs' truly black blacks are also nice, of course.
I've been writing an article on CRTs and their death, actually: https://xykreilon.neocities.org/xyk/gdcr.html
It's fun playing osu! at 485p 180Hz on my G90f. Pretty swanky for a monitor from 2002.

Very nice.
But the radiation?

Tks

Major Contributor

Actually being able to play games with Ray Tracing on.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, I know that, but reality doesn't seem to intrude on the logic of cable companies with mis-applied rationale. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any explanation of their rationale in their advertising.
Something something dielectric linearization.

D

Deleted member 19195

Expensive cables can make a difference.

I sold these and put the money towards some new active speakers and some ~£30.00 XLR cables and I heard significant improvements. :)

View attachment 89788

Incidentally, because the new price has increased significantly since I bought these, I actually sold them for around what I paid for them several years ago -result!

Congratulations to you....commiserations to the buyer.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
I just find it hilarious that it's very likely the cable has distortion on purpose so people will be more likely to hear something different about the cable. When listeners comment on how they think the difference is that the Wind has less distortion, they're actually commenting on how it has more distortion, because their ears don't really know what more or less distortion actually sounds like.
Goofy

fieldcar

Now I want to see a worlds best cables non-balanced interconnect go through the nearby transformer test. I know the directionality is BS, but I still could swear that the single grounding point helps a little bit with nearby interference as I brought up in another thread. I also would like to see a non-coax RCA (coat hangers essentially) cable tested. Thanks for the entertainment @amirm

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm I’m pretty sure you received a defective part.. probably good to ask Audioquest confirm the defect and send you a proper one. While you’re at it, probably good to ask about their QA process as well ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now I want to see a worlds best cables non-balanced interconnect go through the nearby transformer test.
I only have short (1 foot) versions of that which I can test with AP. The connectors are farther than that.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
I feel like a complete idiot for all those years in the audiophoolery sect. All that wasted money. All that paranoia. Just the money saved by @amirm is just incredible. Interestingly, I also have to thank my missus for pushing me to do proper research on these issues. We both work in science, but I fell into the trap.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I only have short (1 foot) versions of that which I can test with AP. The connectors are farther than that.
I think it might be fun if you could literally test a coat hanger with RCAs soldered at each end against that Audioquest thing. PLEASE?!?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The referenced DBS patents for your edification: US7126055B1 & US7872195B1.
I have never seen so many "scare quotes" in a patent. Clearly, even the patent agent writing this up could not do so with a straight face.

So they have patented something that does nothing? I guess I'm naive for assuming a patent require some kind of proof that it works.

Top Bottom