• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review

Mindcool

Forum Donor
What a kind and nice person. Leaving his old ignorant ways behind by donating the cost of this cable he could have gotten back by selling it, instead giving it to you to dissect properly. Thank you very kind person, not many folks out there willing to leave their old ways with a gesture like this...
I donated the cable. I was once an audio fool, now I am a science diehard. :) I hope no one else needs to learn this the hard way as I did.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is probably the absolutely worse side of "audiophile", glad to see silly high end cables debunked yet again!

digicidal

Major Contributor
I donated the cable. I was once an audio fool, now I am a science diehard. :) I hope no one else needs to learn this the hard way as I did.
The important thing is to focus on how much money you're not spending on those tweaks moving forward. :cool: Looking back can be painful for many of us. Unfortunately for me, the problem isn't just limited to audio. I can easily make my own designer cables with nice sleeving on the cheap... less possible to make my own carbon fiber pieces for my car... and the markup on some of those is inline with AQ cables unfortunately.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For heavens sake give Audioquest at least some credits for writing nice poetry (lead paragraph at the "Wind" family product page).

And btw., someone tell them there is one available to link finally:
2020-10-27 07_58_46-Wind · Elements Series · Analog Interconnects · Cables · AudioQuest.jpg

PeteL

Major Contributor
Sure. Here is a shot of it:
View attachment 89773

Zooming in, I was surprised that it is made in Japan, Hitachi cable!

View attachment 89774

It is even directional for bloody sake!

I wonder if it came with one of my high-end Sony DVD or SACD players of the time. It certainly has been a durable cable and I often use for S/PDIF connections.
It still looks like a decently shielded cable tough, I do not think the cable just one post down would have done as well with the transformer test. As for the « direction » It is indeed laughable, but interestingly (or not) Monoprice premium XLR cables, good cables, have this arrow too, but often terminated erroneously, like he arrow pointing the female. Looks like even them don’t care, but Still wonder where this could come from. Also, yes I obviously don’t advocate high end cable, but to be curious, do you not believe at all the idea of 75 ohm coaxial transmission line for spdif? I know it takes some length for the return loss to be significant, but still I myself still believe in complying for the standards, I do not use regular interconnects for spdif, for peace of mind...

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Expensive cables can make a difference.

I sold these and put the money towards some new active speakers and some ~£30.00 XLR cables and I heard significant improvements. :)

1603783513595.jpeg

Incidentally, because the new price has increased significantly since I bought these, I actually sold them for around what I paid for them several years ago -result!

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suppose they may soon release a complementary cable to this one, for connecting your DAC and amp to the mains supply, with dielectric shielded from EMI/RFI. Naturally it will be named the AQ Wind Power. Only $1800 per meter. And follow that up with the Fire Power and Water Power in their product family.

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I am not the first to say it but Audioquest seems to be really pushing it.
Really ought to be illegal and in fact this level of dishonesty, false representation and price gouging might actually be.
Something to look into for the right person.

Bluesideup

AQ I thought were understood to be full of it, putting it politely.

So are all cables nonsense, Tara Labs, Crystal Cable, Gobel, uber high end brands that leave the lips of these audiophile reviewers so regularly?

SpaceMonkey

Sure. Here is a shot of it:
View attachment 89773

Zooming in, I was surprised that it is made in Japan, Hitachi cable!

View attachment 89774

It is even directional for bloody sake!

I wonder if it came with one of my high-end Sony DVD or SACD players of the time. It certainly has been a durable cable and I often use for S/PDIF connections.
Omg, you used an Oyaide cable marked as hitachi when comparing with AQ. Everyone knows Oyaide cables are better than AQ.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Omg, you used an Oyaide cable marked as hitachi when comparing with AQ. Everyone knows Oyaide cables are better than AQ.
But it doesn't have any batteries like AQ Wind has. I can hook that up pretty easy though. What can I get for it then? $3,000???

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am not the first to say it but Audioquest seems to be really pushing it.
Really ought to be illegal and in fact this level of dishonesty, false representation and price gouging might actually be.
Something to look into for the right person.

Here is their Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AudioQuest. Wikipedia has indicated that it reads like an advertisement and apparently would welcome edits to make the entry more neutral. Also this might be a good place to start as to their corporate structure, whether they are publicly or privately owned, whether they are owned by a larger company that might find this unfortunate aspect of their operation embarrassing, etc. I really don’t know.

In the U.S. Federal government this would seem to fall within the bailiwick of the Federal Trade Commission. One may file a complaint and see where it goes. https://www.ftc.gov/

Though the FTC has to prioritize amongst many bad actors in terms of their workload, I am sure.

A state attorney general or a state consumer protection agency might be interested also.

The problem with an individual lawsuit is that they can probably hire better lawyers while an individual would have trouble affording it, and proving fraud in a civil suit between private parties is very difficult. Plus the law as to advertising in the U.S. is pretty lenient by what you might call moral or values-based standards.

AudioQuest is a fair target, if, as Wikipedia states, they are the largest player in the audiophile cable market space. If you think what they do is wrong, they would make a good test case or example for a state or Federal review of such practices.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

win

In audioquest's defense, they do have some OK products. I have some 90* rca adapters that makes my subs look neater. And a record cleaning brush. But I'm pretty sure the brush was white labeled.

does anyone really feel bad for people shelling out thousands for cables? They are injecting cash into the economy after all, and someone else would have taken that money somehow!

Reactions: GDK

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
But it doesn't have any batteries like AQ Wind has. I can hook that up pretty easy though. What can I get for it then? $3,000???
Before this comparison, about $50
38EAECD8-C4F3-48D2-AF7E-88100E1B994E.jpeg

But you can’t save people who don’t want to be saved. The Golfing Panther, in his infinite wisdom, has just added a couple of zeros to its value.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Shield the shield? I forgot was it RG-6 that requires a weaved shield plus another layer of foil shield

wwenze

Major Contributor
Im suprised it had no effect on frequency response. Figuered that would be it's trick.
Thanks for taking the time to test it.

You want one that screw with frequency response? Actually with active loads it can be made possible.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Ebay it and make someone happy.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Well now we have it on record that Amir from ASR confirms that AudioQuest cables provide more air. This proves the superiority of audioquest cables, speakers or headphones without air most absolutely should add this cable to their rig.
Footnote: That price includes a wife (visa application fee included) who will hold the door/window open whenever you listen using the cables.

Top Bottom