• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
" ...considers audio to be defined exclusively by oscilloscope leads...and noise."

Pretty much sums up my thinking about this site. While many measurements can tell you some general and some specific ideas about the sound of a component, I'm still waiting for the graph that shows how that one particular voice in the background of a song sounds just a bit more realistic with one component and not another. The intricacies and depth of detail that we can hear is so underestimated here.
You are repeating talking points of the people who don't spend any time to actually learn the science part of audio. Measurements are one third of the puzzle. The other two are:

1. Psychoacoustics which is based completely on listening tests.

2. How systems are designed and engineered.

With respect to measurements of a cable such as what is in this review, we can prove it has inaudible effect on humans. Psychoacoustic research gives us threshold of noise and distortion. Comparing the two easily indicates no human being can detect or remotely perceive the effect of this cable. The case is made quite simply and once again, is completely based on listening test results.

I have offered thousands of dollars in rewards if anyone can tell in a blind test two cables apart let alone have them sound different. The case is so simple and open and shut.

Now, if you don't study the science, you can believe in all kinds of super human effects. We are not here to debunk people's imagination. That is an issue that is due to lack of education no different that someone thinking they catch a cold because it is cold outside. Lay intuition leading you awry.

What is remarkable is that if I told you that the cure for every kind of cancer is carrot juice, you would laugh at me and want scientific proof. But believe in random stuff in audio like what you state, and you seemingly believe that just because it sounds correct to your gut.

Wombat

Master Contributor
You are repeating talking points of the people who don't spend any time to actually learn the science part of audio. Measurements are one third of the puzzle. The other two are:

With respect to measurements of a cable such as what is in this review, we can prove it has inaudible effect on humans. Psychoacoustic research gives us threshold of noise and distortion. Comparing the two easily indicates no human being can detect or remotely perceive the effect of this cable. The case is made quite simply and once again, is completely based on listening test results.

I have offered thousands of dollars in rewards if anyone can tell in a blind test two cables apart let alone have them sound different. The case is so simple and open and shut.

Now, if you don't study the science, you can believe in all kinds of super human effects. We are not here to debunk people's imagination. That is an issue that is due to lack of education no different that someone thinking they catch a cold because it is cold outside. Lay intuition leading you awry.

What is remarkable is that if I told you that the cure for every kind of cancer is carrot juice, you would laugh at me and want scientific proof. But believe in random stuff in audio like what you state, and you seemingly believe that just because it sounds correct to your gut.

Sticky needed on speaker cables, interconnects, power cords and DACs to refer contrarians to. Included would be an invitation to offer new, validly verified, information or put-a-sock-in-it.

It has generally become such a yawn.
images11.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Sticky needed on speaker cables, interconnects, power cords and DACs to refer contrarians to. Included would be an invitation to offer new, validly verified, information or put-a-sock-in-it.

It has generally become such a yawn. View attachment 91572

Maybe include a conspicuous $$$ ' Golden Ear' prize to anyone who can do so. Would make it easier to point these types of posts to the 'put up or shut up' sticky on the front page or welcome screen.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe include a conspicuous $$$ ' Golden Ear' prize to anyone who can do so. Would make it easier to point these types of posts to the 'put up or shut up' sticky on the front page or welcome screen.
I think the prize should be an expensive set of cables instead of money.

If you can hear these, then they are yours completely free.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I think the prize should be an expensive set of cables instead of money.

If you can hear these, then they are yours completely free.

Or something in each category under comparison.

Expensive DAC vs. Dongle

$$$ Headphone amp vs JDS Atom

Big buck amp vs vintage Adcom

You bring your expensive whatever it is to be tested, and if you can't hear the difference, I keep the expensive one and you keep the Lamp-Cord Speaker wire/Dongle/Atom/Adcom.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Or something in each category under comparison.

Expensive DAC vs. Dongle

$$$ Headphone amp vs JDS Atom

Big buck amp vs vintage Adcom

You bring your expensive whatever it is to be tested, and if you can't hear the difference, I keep the expensive one and you keep the Lamp-Cord Speaker wire/Dongle/Atom/Adcom.
You’ll have to pry my 2.5mm lampcord from my dead, cheapskate fingers. At least, it’s flexible ;)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in 2007, the Amazing Randi (who only recently has departed) offered a million dollars to anyone who could tell a pair of $7250 cables from $80 cables. Apparently, Micheal Fremer accepted the challenge, but the high-end cable manufacturer withdrew when they had to supply samples for the test.

The claims of cable manufacturers of audible superiority are like perpetual motion machines - long dreamed, never proven.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
LOL. 2.5mm cross section.

noiseangel

Thousands hey? Can I have a shot at that. I don't think cables make any difference. But for Thousands I'll have a go. I've got a 50/50 chance which are pretty good odds to me, just like the guy that says he can hear a difference.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thousands hey? Can I have a shot at that. I don't think cables make any difference. But for Thousands I'll have a go. I've got a 50/50 chance which are pretty good odds to me, just like the guy that says he can hear a difference.

Not really. Just google "binomial proportion confidence interval" to get started.
On the other hand, if there was a rush to the free test, some money would of course be lost.
That's why there should be an entry fee, at which point it essentially becomes a lottery.
That could be a way to finance the site btw :cool: - let Amir compute the entry fee so the "house" has an appropriate edge.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why there should be an entry fee, at which point it essentially becomes a lottery.
That could be a way to finance the site btw :cool: - let Amir compute the entry fee so the "house" has an appropriate edge.

Is it legal to have a lottery that cannot be won? If no, we can prove in court that cables (at least the ones under test) cannot be distinguished.. That might sway a few hardcore believers..

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it legal to have a lottery that cannot be won? If no, we can prove in court that cables (at least the ones under test) cannot be distinguished.. That might sway a few hardcore believers..
If you conduct the test enough times, someone will guess correctly by chance.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really. Just google "binomial proportion confidence interval" to get started.
On the other hand, if there was a rush to the free test, some money would of course be lost.

I was going to say, nobody is proposing a 'one-and-done' trial. That wouldn't tell us anything.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
And just like that, Amir busted another cable myth. Also nice vegetables you got there!

I see that AQ is still putting batteries in their cables for "dielectric biasing". Back when they sold "Kilimanjaro" cables, the batteries straight up leaked DC into whatever you connected them to. This caused all manners of audible effects which led proponents to claim that these cables "made a difference".

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It can be won. Until we test everyone, there is still the possibility that there is that one super golden ear that can hear the difference. Unlikely that such a person exists, but still possible.

Top Bottom