• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Let it end here please. ;)

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am not surprised when a Hitachi cable outperform something from AudioQuest.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
. Lamp-cord interconnects, generic cables and all. Wouldn't that be something? Until then, happy listening!

But that's the way it is, those red and white tipped RCA cables thrown into every component box outnumber any other by maybe 10,000 to 1.

noiseangel

But that's the way it is, those red and white tipped RCA cables thrown into every component box outnumber any other by maybe 10,000 to 1.
In a thousand years time when the human race has long since demolished itself, aliens will stop by for a drink of water and refuel their craft with unobtanium, see millions of those red and white cables all over planet and think to themselves WTF sort of creatures inhabited this place?

JonP

Hmmm... not both wires twisted together?
Anyway...

Yep... thats about it for speaker cable. Large enough gauge wire for insignificant ohmic loss over the run? Check. In your case, scale up for an unusual amount of power required. Maybe twist them for minimal RF pickup over a long run? Check. Bam. You now have achieved 90% (or 99%?) of what you can likely get out of a cable.

Could you maybe get a bit out of chasing that last 10%, or 1%? Possibly. Go chasing for a bit more? Sure, why not? Need to, that much? Not really...

Have to give you dedication props for making that much 8ga twisted pair!! That had to be a workout...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here's the deal Amir: you're just another critic that considers audio to be defined exclusively by oscilloscope leads...and noise.
Nah... I am just a music lover who happens to know how the gear I use really works. For you, it is the other way around. The gear is made of magic and should be tweaked forever instead of just enjoying a well designed piece of gear. It is one thing to believe in fairy tales. It is another to spend thousands for the privilege. How you have become so gullible is understandable yet sad.

GimeDsp

Hmmm... not both wires twisted together?
Anyway...

Yep... thats about it for speaker cable. Large enough gauge wire for insignificant ohmic loss over the run? Check. In your case, scale up for an unusual amount of power required. Maybe twist them for minimal RF pickup over a long run? Check. Bam. You now have achieved 90% (or 99%?) of what you can likely get out of a cable.

Could you maybe get a bit out of chasing that last 10%, or 1%? Possibly. Go chasing for a bit more? Sure, why not? Need to, that much? Not really...

Have to give you dedication props for making that much 8ga twisted pair!! That had to be a workout...
It took a lot more time and muscle then I thought. Used a power drill and half the block, after wards releasing the drill the wire JUMPED and coiled into a tangle I couldn't beleive. To more time to de-tension it after then twisting it.
I did terminate with speak-ons. These cables were being used by a freeway that has ALL kinds of RF issues.
I still don't understand how twisting creates RF rejection but I do listen to the pros.

Yes, I remember now. both twisted leads then got twisted into one giant cable.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It took a lot more time and muscle then I thought. Used a power drill and half the block, after wards releasing the drill the wire JUMPED and coiled into a tangle I couldn't beleive. To more time to de-tension it after then twisting it.
I did terminate with speak-ons. These cables were being used by a freeway that has ALL kinds of RF issues.
I still don't understand how twisting creates RF rejection but I do listen to the pros.

Yes, I remember now. both twisted leads then got twisted into one giant cable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twist...inks-,Explanation,wires are very nearly equal.

Read the part about how they did early telegraph and telephone wires not to pick up 60 hz hum from power wires on the same pole. It will make it easy to visualize. Or it does me because when I was young many poles were still wired that way where I lived. I even wondered why thinking maybe it evened out tension or something. Didn't know then it was to prevent interference.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lamp-cord interconnects, generic cables and all. Wouldn't that be something? Until then, happy listening!
I bought a pair of Audioquest Type 6 “hyperlitz” speaker cables about 10 years ago. They did harm - sounded worse than my 12 gauge zip cord. I went back to the zip cord and have been happy ever since. I don’t plan to ever buy another Audioquest cable.

I didn’t have measurements to prove that it was worse, but going back to zip cord was free and selling the cable was easy.

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
Hmmm, does my post make you think I stole them? :D

Haha, no, I didn't steal them. They were given to me. I only steal good stuff that's worth the risk! :cool:

Vapor9

Aaaah. Dismissing someone who last had a drink with dinner hours ago as a drunk because you've been called out on your "hater" drivel. How completely unscientific and objectively unsound from someone claiming to appreciate fact?!? Here's the deal Amir: you're just another critic that considers audio to be defined exclusively by oscilloscope leads...and noise. A naysayer with a penchant for self-promotion and a disdain for review narratives. I don't know. Maybe you're still bitter from a disappointing experience early in your audiophile journey. I think there's therapy for that. I don't pay much attention to over-hyped narratives and ultimately trust my ears and my right as a consumer to return anything that yields disappointing, marginal or sub-par performance. Nevertheless, looking forward to seeing your personally designed, assembled and ideal audio products dominating the worldwide marketplace soon. Lamp-cord interconnects, generic cables and all. Wouldn't that be something? Until then, happy listening!

" ...considers audio to be defined exclusively by oscilloscope leads...and noise."

Pretty much sums up my thinking about this site. While many measurements can tell you some general and some specific ideas about the sound of a component, I'm still waiting for the graph that shows how that one particular voice in the background of a song sounds just a bit more realistic with one component and not another. The intricacies and depth of detail that we can hear is so underestimated here.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
" ...considers audio to be defined exclusively by oscilloscope leads...and noise."

Pretty much sums up my thinking about this site. While many measurements can tell you some general and some specific ideas about the sound of a component, I'm still waiting for the graph that shows how that one particular voice in the background of a song sounds just a bit more realistic with one component and not another. The intricacies and depth of detail that we can hear is so underestimated here.

Yawn.

Unclevanya

When you can do this in a double blind level matched test... We will care. Until then don't expect anyone to listen to your claimed super hearing. It is objectively true that in controlled tests people are terrible at hearing differences. Confirmation bias is a real thing and I know because I was there once.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

We are waiting on people to indicate they actually hear these things. Most hardware today is transparent to the source signal. Speakers and microphones are about the only exception. Wire most definitely is not a source of variable sound quality.

When one voice in one setup does really sound different vs another component, it is nearly always a frequency response difference. One we can easily show to be the case. Only remember that is when that is a real difference in the sound.

Top Bottom