• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest PowerQuest 3 Video Review (AC Filter/Surge Protector)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So if a company is selling items with no value and they are ripping people off, and an entire segment (albeit small) of our economy is based on this scam, is it good to expose the scam and destroy all these jobs?

Absolutely.

Westy

In what aspect that should be?

It's ironic that a lower source impedance will increase this current spikes but audiophiles think he finger thick cables must be Bette because thy have low impedance.
Not to mention the cable from your outlet to device will have a miniscule impact on the RLC characteristics of the total power delivery circuit, which is most likely dominated by the first upstream power transformer, which for me is about 30 yards away on a light pole.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance of a teardown of one of these devices? Would be interesting to see if its any different from a cheap power strip.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sadly, it won't matter. James Randi exposed Peter Popoff and Uri Gellar, but people still believe.
I don't mind if people are spending $100 or $200 for fancy cables if you have expensive gear and you want it to look good, or not look 'bad', get the cheap plasticky feel away from your $10k fancy speakers. But for me, I'm happy with my $40 pair of 12 gauge someone put together and sold with banana clips on amazin deals. Though next time I use etsy.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I'm sure you can get a very well performing UPS for much less than some of these astronomically priced audiophile bullshit products though.
You are right, actually, you can even outperform AC -regenerators with such UPS as well. For example, PS-audio regenerators are typical +/-30..50V class B amps + step-up trafo to get 110/230VAC, the trafo is always would be too big or too weak(too high ESR). Anyhow, PS regenerators sized as microwave-oven cost as Chinese car and promise only .5% of THD at resistor load. Just in case, a typical load for AC-regenerator, in a real high-end environment, rather a vintage amp with trafo+rectifier+tank of caps, than pure-resistive tungsten bulb or a flatiron. The power-factor of an old-style power amp is about .7.
I made a couple of AC regenerators design in the past(2005 one is PFC+ high-voltage class D THD about .003% at PF .7, another low-voltage class D distortion compensator with THD .05% but power-extension sized 2000VA and 98% efficiency), just for my drawer, nothing came out in terms of commercial, so I'm sure for 95% the regenerator with THD .5% at the resistor, will give you >3% on the real PF<=.7 load. In other words, AC regenerators on the market so amateur-level designed that they are completely useless because if you lucky your AC main has <3% of THD.
UPS has no trafo and its output impedance usually low enough to make THD about 1% at PF .7, you can buy simply too powerful UPS to be sure if your light load will not produce too high THD.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
So if a company is selling items with no value and they are ripping people off, and an entire segment (albeit small) of our economy is based on this scam, is it good to expose the scam and destroy all these jobs?

Yes. Very much yes.

P_M

unless I am not understanding your sense of sarcasm, or humor, or your intent to just troll, what an absurd thing to say.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
unless I am not understanding your sense of sarcasm, or humor, or your intent to just troll, what an absurd thing to say.
It's not absurd to consider whether this scam is good for society since it produces economic activity. There are many sectors of the economy that produce jobs but the underlying economic activity is worthless. I think many will conclude from Amir's tireless work that there are many audio components with no value that the testing can reveal to the general public.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's not absurd to consider whether this scam is good for society since it produces economic activity.
The person who doesn't buy this box doesn't throw the same amount of money in a river. They will buy something else with real value and create those jobs.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
@amirm,

Do you think tests performed by Furman video is valid to check if there is any audio improvement?

The whole chain is being measured, with and without the conditioner.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm,

Do you think tests performed by Furman video is valid to check if there is any audio improvement?

Hmmm- does he ever actually say that the jangly tune in the background through the middle section is the diff file?

Dont know what to make of that other than not liking the infomercial cum televangelist delivery and the always off-putting use of "technologies" when referring to "products". Sounds unlikely to say the least, but I am sure people with actual knowledge will chime in.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@amirm,

Scummy.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It would be great if @amirm or someone here can check Furman's claims here.
Besides needing their unit, you’d also need details on their test setup and protocol, which like other scummy scammers, they conveniently leave out.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He doesn't understand what the tool is doing. There is no such thing as "difference will be zero." Run to run analog capture will always have varying output due to noise, etc. Audiodiffmaker can compensate for some of the effects, but not all.

Top Bottom