• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Review

Rate this audio cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 225 82.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 12.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Blah, blah, blah. There is error detection built into the digital transmission standards. Bit errors don‘t result in harsh midrange or steely highs, they cause nasty clicks and pops. TTL “1” is nominally 5v and ‘0” is nominally 0v. In application a “0” can be anything from 0 to .8v and ”1” can be anything from 2 to 5v. A 2v ”1” doesn’t sound different than a 5v “1”. In USB data transmission there is no 1 voltage or 0 voltage. There are two voltage states. If there is a transition from one state to the other during a clock period that is a 0 and no transition means a one. As long as the transitions can be detected all is good. A USB cable can”t have better bass, smoother highs, or better soundstaging. It either works or it doesn’t.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a SPDIF expert, so other people can correct me or explain better, but from reading this, it looks to me a bit like they are contradicting themselves...
- they first say voltage above a specific level will give a 1, and voltage below will give a 0
- they then talk about it like only 0V level was 0/black and 1V only was 1/white, with all between 0V and 1V being grey and not doing anything

But in this case, the "grey zone" takes far less time than both voltages states
They're not really contradicting themselves rather than being clueless in the first place...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I was editing my post because I missed the point I wanted to highlight : the grey zone state is super short, while the 0 and 1 states are far longer, so it should be a big problem
* ... shouldn't be a big problem
Uh huh

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess Alan Shaw liked your video, @amirm (apologies for the invidious comparison below, but the Monty Montgomery is a classic)

1673640070926.png

Stanny1

Typical of AQ Hype. They make up names and labels while almost all their copper is just OFC with no specs. I haven't seen the word "OHNO" but we get "long-grain copper". How long a grain? OHNO long? Same with Cardas Grade One. I say stay away from "Audiophile Cables". There is much more honesty in Pro Audio cables like Mogami

MacCali

Major Contributor
I saved more money thanks to Amir than I've "wasted" already lol

Thank you sir
Indeed, besides definitely getting I would say clear sound. That’s what I consistently tell people on here who do not believe in the purely objective approach. Not sure how you[anyone] can be mad at Amir

If you got the money and you don’t care or you want to try so be it, we are not mad you. Some people just want there system to look fly.

At least now you can know if it helps, does nothing, or hurts the sound which is definitely something to watch out for.

ReevaluateAdNauseam

Forum Donor
And that's why the ASR voting system is childish, pointless and a complete waste of space. You voted 'waste of money' because of the brand name! How is that remotely objective, scientific or facts based?

The cable works perfectly, does the job and doesn't cost a fortune.
Well said.

Top Bottom