• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Review

Rate this audio cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 225 82.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 12.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters

odarg64

You see how each and every thread gets attacked hahaha. I swear they wait for a review of there item and pounce.

Recall my discussion on the other thread

Either they are being told like “hey didn’t you you buy that cable?” Or they stalking the forums which would be better or no clue how they end up here and different people everytime from numerous continents
Who are 'they?'

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I was once told never to order the second-cheapest bottle of wine in a restaurant, because lots of people choose it in order not to appear total cheapskates, and it is marked up accordingly. With cables - just go with the cheapest ones with acceptable build quality. How FraudioQuest engineers a huge range of cables that sound progressively ‘better’ at increasing price points has always been a mystery to me…
I've heard that too, about wine, and am also mystified how any cable company, not just AQ, "engineers" the sound. I'm pretty sure that the only real engineering is in the price.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Who are 'they?'
The people who bring subjective comments to every single review thread on the forum. I'm not against it, and I preach for others to leave them be rather than make any comments about it.

lc6

There exist specialized tools for detailed measurement and rapid factory qualification of USB and other type cables. For example, the one from TotalPhase ($15k). If you scroll to 4:14 into this video, you will see in the detailed test report how the eye pattern is tested against a configurable mask for a pass/fail result.
Testing USB, Apple Lightning, and Video Cables with the Advanced Cable Tester v2
Obviously, @amirm is not in the cable development or manufacturing business. However, a tool like that one would quickly determine the numerous characteristics associated with a USB and other cables (specs seem quite comprehensive).
If a relatively inexpensive cable passes the same arbitrarily stringent test as a much more expensive and hyped cable does, then there should be no difference in their ability to carry signals, hence no difference in the digital streams produced and recovered by capable transceivers, and so no difference in analog audio signals produced from these streams (assuming, of course, competent DAC design wrt noise immunity, etc.).

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There exist specialized tools for detailed measurement and rapid factory qualification of USB and other type cables.

There's no reason to test for correct USB function because the devices connect correctly and function properly. The only reason for the testing of cables like this is to validate manufacturer claims that the cable—by itself—improves the quality of the audio from connected devices. As tested, it does not. As I suggested in another cable test discussion.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There exist specialized tools for detailed measurement and rapid factory qualification of USB and other type cables. For example, the one from TotalPhase ($15k). If you scroll to 4:14 into this video, you will see in the detailed test report how the eye pattern is tested against a configurable mask for a pass/fail result.
Testing USB, Apple Lightning, and Video Cables with the Advanced Cable Tester v2
Obviously, @amirm is not in the cable development or manufacturing business. However, a tool like that one would quickly determine the numerous characteristics associated with a USB and other cables (specs seem quite comprehensive).
If a relatively inexpensive cable passes the same arbitrarily stringent test as a much more expensive and hyped cable does, then there should be no difference in their ability to carry signals, hence no difference in the digital streams produced and recovered by capable transceivers, and so no difference in analog audio signals produced from these streams (assuming, of course, competent DAC design wrt noise immunity, etc.).

In the early days of HDMI, there were differences in cables leading to the need for “officially” certified cables. What is great is that the results were pretty clear, not subtle because you either had clear artifacts like flickering or drop outs.

With infinitely precise measurements, you can measure differences between cables. The resistance, for example, varies linearly with length. A cable twice as long has twice the resistance.

What Amir is doing is testing if the difference which can be measured actually translates into different performance. And so far, we haven’t seen anything EXCEPT for the 6 dB difference on the Chord Mojo 2. If @amirm cannot identify the reasons, it’s possible that there was some corrosion on the connector somehow that a very tight cable tested was able to clean it. I am thinking of the old Monster Cable turbines…

Cables do matter for digital transmission.
Just not proven with audio so far.

We can see differences in digital transmission between running copper Ethernet cable at 10 Gb/sec versus 1, 2.5, or 5 Gbps. There is a lot of science behind that, especially since Ethernet has error correction but we have to remember that Ethernet is running much longer distances than the typical audio setup. Think about 40-conductor or 80-conductor IDE hard drive cables even though the pins were the same. Digital. Cable makes a difference.

odarg64

The people who bring subjective comments to every single review thread on the forum. I'm not against it, and I preach for others to leave them be rather than make any comments about it.
Thanks for clarifying.

lc6

Cables do matter for digital transmission.
Just not proven with audio so far.

We can see differences in digital transmission between running copper Ethernet cable at 10 Gb/sec versus 1, 2.5, or 5 Gbps. There is a lot of science behind that, especially since Ethernet has error correction but we have to remember that Ethernet is running much longer distances than the typical audio setup. Think about 40-conductor or 80-conductor IDE hard drive cables even though the pins were the same. Digital. Cable makes a difference.

Ethernet does not have error correction, only detection. Frames have CRC checksums (FCS) and are simply dropped if one or more bits are corrupted. Error correction (through retransmission of entire frames, not by some computation at the receiver) is handled by upper-layer reliable protocols (e.g. TCP).

Also, when 20 years ago some semiconductor manufacturers introduced new Ethernet chips, they were able to support 1000BASE-T (gigabit) Ethernet over Cat 3 (i.e. telephone) cable. Yes, the echo cancellation in transceivers was that good. Which is why it is laughable when people claim Cat 5 or even Cat 5e or better is absolutely required at those speeds.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I see a big difference between the test/graphs of this test and the original review of the chord Hugo 2 dac.
It is not a big difference. USB interference is situation dependent and comes and goes. I will update the review thread when I get home. Note the well designed usb implementations don't have this issue. They always work right.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I looked at that tester. It is a ton of money for little benefit in our situation.

Migel83

Hello,
Thanks for the test.
I have two questions.

As a quick guide.
I use 2 cables from Audioquest myself.
One is the Nrg Y for the Dac. I don't know why but when the cable is plugged in it is better than the original to my ears.
And then another Rca cable.
I have the Forest and the Cinnamon.
Both for whatever reason give a blacker background compared to the standard cable even better the Inakustik standard cable.
I have stayed with the Audioquest.

What really bothers me about Audioquest are the terribly tight plugs, so that you almost need pliers.
Two cables have already broken and I was able to exchange them thanks to Amazon.

My question now is this.
With the Rca cable I understand that you make the measurement no matter how it turns out, what I don't understand is why do you do that with a Usb cable?
You can certainly leave it like that.
But a USB cable is a data transport cable, which doesn't necessarily have much to do with the noise, or does it?

It's primarily about how it behaves when data is delivered in transport, I have to measure that to determine differences, don't I? Whether there is noise, jitter etc...
The best example is that a normal Usb cable is probably limited in data transport and maybe manages 400 mbits per second, whereas a higher quality cable might already manage 1 Gb.
That alone should make a difference.
Which doesn't automatically mean that the more data that can be delivered, the better the music, that's not what I mean.
I mean music/data is transported from the PC to the Dac via a USB cable.
Something must happen if the signal is influenced when a data transport takes place.
This must be measurable so that I can see how the cable behaves in terms of signal-to-noise ratio, jitter, etc....
Also a 3D room representation like you see with headphones could help to bring more light into the darkness whether a cable really has an influence on the "sound".
Also there you could see if the hearing impression is deceiving or not with cable X versus cable Y.

Enlighten me otherwise because I think Rca cable versus a data transport cable is a difference.

Where I am at peace with myself is that a super expensive usb data cable has zero impact on the sound for me.the $50 cable from Inakustik has had no sonic impact for me compared to a normal cable.only an advantage when I have pushed data over the usb port with the cable.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not a big difference. USB interference is situation dependent and comes and goes. I will update the review thread when I get home. Note the well designed usb implementations don't have this issue. They always work right.

1) The question is if a better cable can help with poor implementations? In other words, has it always been snake oil, was there ever a point where USB implementations may have been more susceptible? Before asynchronous USB?
“why it is laughable when people claim Cat 5 or even Cat 5e or better is absolutely required at those speeds.

Great point. I was thinking TCP/IP over Ethernet.

Right, I can run 10GbE over short distances with Cat5e. But would you run 10GbE for 100 ft over Cat 3?

scottd

1) The question is if a better cable can help with poor implementations? In other words, has it always been snake oil, was there ever a point where USB implementations may have been more susceptible? Before asynchronous USB?

Great point. I was thinking TCP/IP over Ethernet.

Right, I can run 10GbE over short distances with Cat5e. But would you run 10GbE for 100 ft over Cat 3?

Isn't the big difference between digital and analog cables the same as the difference between digital and analog wireless radio transmission? The difference is how failure is handled. As you drive your car away from an AM radio station, the signal is gradually lost to noise. With digital radio, I believe it becomes reception becomes intermittent with distance, where reception is 100% or nothing (I had digital radio only briefly).

Digital and analog cables are the same: USB will never give you less than bit perfect data, in theory at least. But it gives nothing at all when something goes wrong. Analog cables pick up noise if too long or improperly shielded.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
1) The question is if a better cable can help with poor implementations?
Only if you are at the edge of the distance supported by the standard. In 6 foot length, that's not going to be the case.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if you are at the edge of the distance supported by the standard. In 6 foot length, that's not going to be the case.

I found this blog post which is helpful. Presumably recommended is where good and bad cables make a difference.

USB Standards, Speeds and Cable Length Limits:​

USB SpecificationMax. Data Transfer RateRecommended Cable Length
USB 1.0 (Full Speed)12 Mb/s3 m (9 ft.)
USB 2.0 (High Speed)480 Mb/s5 m (16 ft.)
USB 3.2 Gen 15 Gb/s2-3 m (6-9 ft.)
USB 3.2 Gen 210 Gb/s3 m (9 ft.)
USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (USB-C only)20 Gb/s3 m (9 ft.)
USB4 (USB-C only)40 Gb/s0.8 m (31 ins)

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't understand. I thought @amirm ignored price in reviews, so long as performance is state of the art (and this cable is!) it gets recommended.

So why no recommendation?

Curvature

Major Contributor
The question is if a better cable can help with poor implementations?
From what I've read of the reviews here for questionable products like boutique cables, filters, reclockers, power supplies and power conditioners, variations of your question come up consistently in those threads.

But isn't the right question how to identify poor devices, not how to fix the problems they introduce? A correctly designed device is very tolerant. A poor one requires special upstream and downstream care.

Really, the market for boutique cables and other junk can't help but suggest your question. That market revolves around products that target the subpar, the suboptimal, the broken, etc. which at best have zero postive effect in an adequate system despite charging a premium.

"How good is your product?"
"It's really good."
"It's worth the extra money?"
"Yeah."
"I have XYZ device. Will it improve its performance?"
"No, not for that one, but if you own other stuff like ABC or DEF or, you know, have a lot of electronic interference around the house, it will definitely do the job."
"Definitely?"
"Well..."
"Are you saying I can save money down the line by buying cheaper, shittier stuff because your product will make sure it works better?"
"I can't guarantee that."
"... Is your company owned by an insurance company by any chance? This sounds like one of those 'in case of earthquake' addendums."
"Um."
"At least you don't have a subscription model."

DonR

Major Contributor
From what I've read of the reviews here for questionable products like boutique cables, filters, reclockers, power supplies and power conditioners, variations of your question come up consistently in those threads.

But isn't the right question how to identify poor devices, not how to fix the problems they introduce? A correctly designed device is very tolerant. A poor one requires special upstream and downstream care.

Really, the market for boutique cables and other junk can't help but suggest your question. That market revolves around products that target the subpar, the suboptimal, the broken, etc. which at best have zero postive effect in an adequate system despite charging a premium.

"How good is your product?"
"It's really good."
"It's worth the extra money?"
"Yeah."
"I have XYZ device. Will it improve its performance?"
"No, not for that one, but if you own other stuff like ABC or DEF or, you know, have a lot of electronic interference around the house, it will definitely do the job."
"Definitely?"
"Well..."
"Are you saying I can save money down the line by buying cheaper, shittier stuff because your product will make sure it works better?"
"I can't guarantee that."
"... Is your company owned by an insurance company by any chance? This sounds like one of those 'in case of earthquake' addendums."
"Um."
"At least you don't have a subscription model."
This is also diametrically opposed to the notion that your other stuff needs to be sufficiently "resolving" to hear improvements. So either the gear needs to be broken or exemplary.

Top Bottom