• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Review

Rate this audio cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 225 82.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 12.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters

delta76

Major Contributor
Cables....
However I read in the forum often people discussing about the possibility (or not) of transmission of 192khz/24bit music over toslink, for instance in the wiim mini thread. Some people claim it depends on the quality of the cable. Would it be worth testing a few of those in order to have a sort of buying guide?
You are mixing things. On one hand, cable, especially data cable is designed to a spec. to carry 192khz/24bit means certain data transfer capacity. different cables might have different data transfer capacity, due to which standard they comfort. asking which cable to get is a genuine question (you need HDMI 2.1 cables to transfer 8K video, for example)
if data transfer capacity is not a concern (all micro usb cable is capable of 480mbps), claiming a cable reduces noise etc. is a warning sign of snake oil

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
$41 is not complete theft. If the cable is well made, flexible and has high quality connectors that stand the test of time, I have no problem with it. I bet Audioquest also offers a pretty decent warranty if it fails.

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
Here’s some fun reading… (sigh).
This is the one where Herb extolls the virtues of a 'natural harmonic halo' AKA harmonic distortion. "All I know is that the more I listened to LPs and analog tape, the more I recognized that harmonic halo. When I began using Koetsu cartridges, it became extremely obvious. But it wasn't there when I listened to CDs." ... gosh, I wonder why? ...

I just wish these people would be honest with both themselves and everyone else and admit that they enjoy the slightly distorted sound produced by vinyl and antique electronic designs. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that: enjoying the sound is what this passtime is all about. I just wish they wouldn't keep pretending that this represents some form of higher 'accuracy'.

delta76

Major Contributor
There would be nice to test some very well made basic and cheap cables and name the "generic" cable to prove that does it well enough .

These could then be recommended . But then we may have to test that the cable fulfils the specifications for that kind of cable (for usb hdmi and coaxial there are specs ).
I suspects many DAC's works fine even with the proverbial coat hanger as a cable . But i want my 10$ cable on spec anyway , basic design hygiene .

There are more ways to be wrong than right ? There will always be the next snake oil cable claiming some absurd improvement .

Some really cheap stuff may not be at spec at all, due to being to cheap ? some expensive stuff are deliberately not on spec ,because some absurd theory ( did not kimber make some spdiff cables deliberately not 75 ohm , because "reasons" )
as a rule of thumb you should not buy the cheapest crap you can find. not because of the data/noise but mostly reliablity/longevity. there are a bunch of brand name cables that have decent quality still cheap enough. amazonbasics, anker, ugreen etc.

I bought a box of 12x amazonbasics lightning cable for like 20 $ 3 years ago. some of them failed but most still going strong.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If it has a; good quality port's, nice and good cable hosting made of P-E or TP-E, isn't stiff and with OFC conductor (certainly not for the sake of better conductivity, performance or bulshits like that but for the sake it will oxidate much harder) all together meaning it will serve you good and for a long time and by all means you menage to find it at least at half the mentioned price it's perfectly fine with me. As most of mentioned is not discussed I won't give a opinion.

RHO

Major Contributor
I voted "not terrible" this time. It performs as expected and as it should. It's too expensive but not terribly so. No need to pay $41 for such a cable, but most people can afford it.
In contrast to some other brands who sell these at prices some people have to start to make compromises in their budget to be able to "get better sound", not knowing it doesn't make a difference at all.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted "not terrible" this time. It performs as expected and as it should. It's too expensive but not terribly so. No need to pay $41 for such a cable, but most people can afford it.
In contrast to some other brands who sell these at prices some people have to start to make compromises in their budget to be able to "get better sound", not knowing it doesn't make a difference at all.
I voted waste of money because it's audioquest .
I suppose one could pay 41$ for an extremely well made ott cable , but i don't think AQ will be the one's making it.
I do wonder what 5$ cable they sourced and jacked up the price on :)

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
True... but they have a strategy of making one feel inadequate at buying their cheapest cable.

So we go from Pearl to more interesting names like Forest (peaceful), Cinnamon (flavour), Carbon (solid), Coffee (hyper performance), Diamond (solid plus expensive, premium) etc.
It really is astonishing how these companies will shamelessly prey on peoples emotions. There was an old car guy I was vaguely aquatinted with. Salty old bastard. Really gave anchovies a serious run for their money. But he had a great phrase for people who liked to waste their money on chrome plated everything: “Me? Don’t care as my engine is completely invisible through my rear bumper.” And that sums up my sentiments towards audio. I only care how it sounds. If it doesn’t make it legitimately better (or faster in the case of cars), then it’s just fluff. Beyond that, speakers, amps, etc. are mainly home appliances for me.

But a lot of people need to have a tactile and visual aspect to things as well, I think. There’s nothing to touch or see with sound. It’s invisible pressure waves propagating through the air. But for others it can’t just have SOTA performance, it needs to look the part and be exclusive. A true SOTA system can be assembled now from rather humble looking components. When there is nothing playing, it turns back into boring boxes with wires attached to them that you can’t show off to your friends, and that’s where companies like this are all to happy to manipulate peoples perception. ”Hey, you deserve the best! Here you go: 99.999% pure silver 000 gauge speaker wires. Diamond encrusted balanced power cords. Nanotube composite XLR cables… Just look, it’s gonna sound great even before you swing the tone arm over!” I would love to be a fly on the wall at their internal marketing and product planning meetings. Really takes next-level dishonesty to make stuff like this and sell it with a straight face.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I voted waste of money because it's audioquest .

And that's why the ASR voting system is childish, pointless and a complete waste of space. You voted 'waste of money' because of the brand name! How is that remotely objective, scientific or facts based?

The cable works perfectly, does the job and doesn't cost a fortune.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Yeah, but it's only the basic "pearl" model... pearl is "semi-transparent" or "veiled" is likely their meaning and diamond is "transparent and very solid", with stages in between.

I doubt many Audioquest customers opt for the cheapest of their range, or will "upgrade" at one point due to being made to feel the first choice was inadequate.

Otherwise, I'd agree in general that the cable works fine... however what about their false marketing claims of audible improvements etc.?

JSmith

bothu

Ah, the mythical oxygen free copper. Great for use in things like ultra-high vacuum processing equipment and spot welders for small precision components. Also great for audio because you can add lots of fancy acronyms and letters in front of what would otherwise just be cheap PVC jacketed wire from China. Guaranteed to increase profit margins 1000%. Edit: Looks like they have decided to also up their game with LGC, whatever the hell that is.

Yes, UHV systems like this Titanium /Gold evaporator. Here it is motivated with oxygene free copper.

Before my retirement I build this UHV evaporator.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

/ Bo Thunér, Linköping, Sweden.

Cars-N-Cans

Yeah, but it's only the basic "pearl" model... pearl is "semi-transparent" or "veiled" is likely their meaning and diamond is "transparent and very solid", with stages in between.

I doubt many Audioquest customers opt for the cheapest of their range, or will "upgrade" at one point due to being made to feel the first choice was inadequate.

Otherwise, I'd agree in general that the cable works fine... however what about their false marketing claims of audible improvements etc.?

JSmith
I would agree that it’s not the cable itself, but the underhanded tactics used to synthesize a market and demand for a product that would not otherwise exist. When I was young I wanted all my car audio gear to “match” (in this case the now familiar Harman/JBL) and bought matching amps, subs, and speakers. I’m sure a lot of less savvy audiophiles are the same way (and we all are to an extent), and this generates a false need to “upgrade” to their best across the board or lose out on getting the most from their system.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why bother
Must confess I had the same thought. At best it shows the cable as broken- which might well be just this unit rather than a design failing so tells the reader not a lot. Ive seen Amir's very sensible reply but I still cant help thinking his measurement time is a very scarce resource and would be better utlised on things where measurements actually matter (speakers, headphones/iems, vulgar and overpriced electronics that dont measure up to spec ) rather than cables. The point that they dont really matter has been adequately driven home here IMHO.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Totally agree. The marketing claims are ridiculous for sure. But as a functional product with no obvious flaws, it does the job, albeit at a significantly elevated price. I wouldn't shell out $41 for it, but the guy running down to his local HiFi/Electronics store on a Saturday morning just before closing time, needing a cable to connect his Android phone or interface to his computer isn't going to get utterly ripped off.

Cars-N-Cans

Yes, UHV systems like this Titanium /Gold evaporator. Here it is motivated with oxygene free copper.

Before my retirement I build this UHV evaporator.

View attachment 223758

View attachment 223760

View attachment 223761

/ Bo Thunér, Linköping, Sweden.
Nice! The one I was most familiar with and helped out on was one we used for processing He3 tubes for neutron detection. UHV equipment is some of the coolest looking stuff out there. No matter how mundane the task, it still ends up looking like the reactor core for a spaceship :)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Always wonder after reading comments regarding voting when Amir does a review, did people vote based upon the product or their marketing message

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And that's why the ASR voting system is childish, pointless and a complete waste of space. You voted 'waste of money' because of the brand name! How is that remotely objective, scientific or facts based?

I just don't trust the manufacturer due to prior art if that's the rigth word ?
Their track record with other products in my probably childish opinion is such that one should not do business with them ? Hence "waste of money" ?
Maybe their should one lower option thats says "dysfunctional" . For products that does not do what it's supposed to do .

The voting does get a bit ridiculous in the cable category as everyone of them actually works fine in most cases, so they all should be great and have the golfing panther if nothing but technical performance should be a factor ? they all do their job just fine ?

filo97s

As predictable.
But I think that for 41$, build quality maybe is worth that extra, that's why I voted for Not terrible.

Top Bottom