• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest NRG-X3 Review (AC Power Cord)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money

Votes: 324 89.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm
The fact you seem to believe in your statement of lowered distortion to the letter, meaning on AC power, is brilliant !
This just shows even more obviously how their statement is ridiculous.

Well done !

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why do you do these test/reviews when we all know the outcome?
It helps more and more people discover this factor and it also makes our overall result more convincing.
If we only tested exactly 1 product from one single brand, there are still arguments to be made. But if we have more data to compare and collect, it will continuously be harder for cable lovers to deny the point(s).
And if positive enough, that might even lead them to join or perform more scientific, unbiased tests to determine their conclusion!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep for sure, the marketing for snake-oil cabling is MUCH stronger today than it was in the 90s. Boutique style expensive cableing was just gaining a real foothold in the 90s and nothing at all as powerful as it is today.

I credit (maybe it's debit) Noel Lee with the fad. He was the first large-scale cable huckster I recall. This was about 1980. Obviously, given the market trajectory, Noel was a mere piker, but I'd say that he was pretty much the start of, and responsible for, the subsequent nonsense.

Before Monster, you'd go to your dealer, buy a 'system', and the salesman would thrown in a run of 'hook up wire'. Maybe a cartridge at dealer cost, to sweeten the deal. Once Noel came on the scene, it didn't take dealers long to figure out that selling expensive wire (for little up front cost) went a long way in keeping the landlord at bay, when it came time to pay the rent.

nyxnyxnyx

I was never a cable/audio accessories fanatic, but during my first year I kept thinking that they might be able to make a difference (no matter if it's suble or obvious), and it's nice to buy them if I have a lot of money.

Amusing story is there was one time a pal of mine borrowed a few hi-end Nordost and Moon Audio headphones cables so we can pair them out with our headphones (HD800, HD650,LCD3 and some more)....

In comparison with the stock cables, they made no ******* differences, at least to my ears and my pal's. In an attempt to be fair and give it more chance, I borrowed "better" gears like some expensive dac and amps because I thought maybe when the sound system is more refined, I might start to hear reliable differences now?

I gave them hours then days but the result is still the same, as much as I can spit out "differences that I felt there might be", I wasn't sure or convinced that it's the truth, let alone be able to confirm it in a proper blind test.

I shared this result of mine in a local audio meeting and got told that maybe my hearing is just untrained or limited, or I wasn't trying hard enough. I thought they are right that I'm not a trained listener, and I never tested the limit of my hearing so maybe that's the case, but then again if I paid so much for something that I needed to try really hard just to spot the differences that might be better or worse, then why should I pay for that?

That was pretty much the peak of my interest in audio accessories. Nowadays if I try them and switch a few times and hear no repetitive differences, I will just move on.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Because plenty of people who buy them don't!
Do you think they reed this forum
Do you think they understand the measurements
Do you think they "believe" in measurements.

how ever menages to be as ignorant to basic Physics wont be "converted" by showing them an FFT plot.

Not that i would believe in this cable but the results are easily dismissabel.
No EMI/RFI test oft emission and picup?
No separate common mode and differential mode measurement.
Basically "no" current on the cable for all the tests.
Only tested at 20V...

Sure we don't need any of this because "we" know it's just a cable. But "we" don't need this review at all because "we" know it's just a cable.
Who ever chooses to believe can still easily believe because of this missing measurements and because the are ignorant...

Don’ŧ see the Value for the "community*" in this "reviews".
*the community of rational evidence based ASR members

Maye it's "fun"?

Last edited:

DWI

So, about a year ago, I decided to check out a new local audio store, where they sell Paradigm speakers, since I never heard them.

As I was demoing a few speakers, the sales guy asked for my budget, and I said $2000.
Then, a few minutes later, he suddenly switched topics from helping me choose a speaker and started talking about power cables.
Then, he recommended that I spend $1000 on speakers and the other $1000 budget to buy their premium "brand" power cable, because that's where the difference is heard.
This was just after I told him that I have an AVR already.
I was just shocked and said "You just lost my respect and all opportunities for future business." and walked out.

I don't remember the company they sold, but I'm sure it was AudioQuest, considering that they still advertise it on their website.
I can see people falling for this garbage in the 1990's, but in the year 2021?
Really?
:facepalm:

Oh yes, I'll publically shame them.
I don't know what it is about some good dealers and cables.

I used a well known UK supplier for lots of sundries, and the occasional larger item, for years. I then emailed him about a mains flex to run from my consumer unit to the receptacles for my hifi, modem and routers. I needed about 25m to 30m. He came up with a product that was about $200 per metre. I didn't even reply. He has also lost any future business. (I bought Belden, and NeoTech for the shortest main run.)

Last week I called a well regarded analogue business about a copper tonearm cable of a particular AWG and inductance specification, only because the cable I have is so old and generic I have no idea how it's made. It was about $120. Next thing I know he's saying "all my customers are delighted with the gold one", it turns out a $1,200 product, more than I paid him for the tonearm.

The whole cable thing is a rats' nest, and I know several dealers who are very sensible about it, but some otherwise good dealers just can't resist the temptation (and presumably large margins).

So I wouldn't think too badly about these people, how many of us in their shoes trying to make a living would do the same?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think they reed this forum Do you think they understand the measurements Do you think they "believe" in measurements.
That's what the U Toob videos are for. Explaining in a way that anyone can understand. My guess is that those have more 'pop' influence, than the stuff on the forum, which requires some prior understanding of what is going down.

As far as getting anyone to change their view? Whether a person can accept a fact that is contrary to their belief is a big question. Certainly anyone who thinks that a power cable/plug will make a difference in their stereo is pretty far gone, from the get-go.

grandsons

Some devices improve the perception of sound broadcasting, some devices improve the way we perceive sound. Simply increase the price of a stupid mains cable and you're done.

Add a bit of science, make it rare and you will hit the some sort of effect in contradiction of the law of the demand.

Pierre

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) I don't know what it is about some good dealers and cables. 2) ...how many of us in their shoes trying to make a living would do the same?
First, they are not 'good' dealers. How is it good to take opportunistic advantage of customer ignorance? If they were 'good' people, having their customer's best interest in mind, they'd be warning against participating in this sort of scam. And they certainly wouldn't be involved in it, themselves.

The alternative, and maybe even the more likely explanation, is that the operation and its owner actually believes in the basic goodness of the product. In that case it's the blind leading the blind. Of course, then, it is not an ethical lapse on the dealer's part, but just a simple case of ignorance masquerading as knowledge.

A dealer/manufacturer would have to be very cynical, and have a very condescending opinion of his customers, to sell this stuff with a straight face, knowing how it is a total scam. My guess is Audioquest are simple hucksters who, at the end of the day, laugh at their dealers/customers. Dealers may be more credulous, who knows?

Second, before I'd sell this sort of garbage, I'd work in a shoe store, selling shoes. At least selling a shoe, even a very expensive shoe, is a useful thing, and an honorable vocation.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Geeeeech! That does not bode well for Stereophile or AudioQuest. A load of malarky. :facepalm: So much for improving the hundreds of feet of lowly AC mains wire coming into the building this gets used in. :D

I used to argue with guys that made all kinda claims about power cords, and fuses, and speaker cables etc.

Their fallback line was always...."How can YOU tell me what I hear"?

Or, "If you have not heard it, how do you know it doesnt make a difference?"

JSmith

Master Contributor
Do you think they reed this forum
With respect, I feel you are not taking into account search engines... example, someone is interested in buying this cable after reading some "review" that ensures angels will be singing if one buys this cable. They search for the product name with the word "review"... this forum and thread will come up immediately. It is likely the potential consumer will open this and other "reviews"... from there the choice is theirs, go with the data, or go with some possible shill that makes grandiose claims about something as simple as a power cable.

JSmith

beagleman

Major Contributor
First, they are not 'good' dealers. How is it good to take opportunistic advantage of customer ignorance? If they were 'good' people, having their customer's best interest in mind, they'd be warning against participating in this sort of scam. And they certainly wouldn't be involved in it, themselves.

The alternative, and maybe even the more likely explanation, is that the operation and its owner actually believes in the basic goodness of the product. In that case it's the blind leading the blind. Of course, then, it is not an ethical lapse on the dealer's part, but just a simple case of ignorance masquerading as knowledge.

A dealer/manufacturer would have to be very cynical, and have a very condescending opinion of his customers, to sell this stuff with a straight face, knowing how it is a total scam. My guess is Audioquest are simple hucksters who, at the end of the day, laugh at their dealers/customers. Dealers may be more credulous, who knows?

Second, before I'd sell this sort of garbage, I'd work in a shoe store, selling shoes. At least selling a shoe, even a very expensive shoe, is a useful thing, and an honorable vocation.

Cables and such are BY FAR the biggest money makers as far as percentage of mark up and Commission percentage when one is a salesman.

I did that stuff for a while, and I never pushed it on anyone, but we all wanted to be the guy that got a cable purchase transaction.

Pure profit, and often made more on an expensive "Wire" than on the actual electronics.

beeface

This makes statements like this from the review of said cable by Stereophile quite dubious:

"The AudioQuest NRG-X3 delivered more music, made more sense of the music, managed to more fully convey the artists' intentions, and made me a happy guy."

The guy who wrote this review later went on to work for Audioquest FWIW.

Reactions: jam

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Because plenty of people who buy them don't!
I found this prototype of AQ's new power cord called "The Constrictor". It stresses the fact that it's a directional cord and we shouldn't plug in the wrong end or else you'll have one really pissed off power cord.

090021_1_1024x1024.png

DWI

That's what the U Toob videos are for. Explaining in a way that anyone can understand. My guess is that those have more 'pop' influence, than the stuff on the forum, which requires some prior understanding of what is going down.

As far as getting anyone to change their view? Whether a person can accept a fact that is contrary to their belief is a big question. Certainly anyone who thinks that a power cable/plug will make a difference in their stereo is pretty far gone, from the get-go.
Some people who think listening is totally subjective and should be discounted as unreliable, and others think measurements unreliable because there is no certainty they tell the whole story. Most people, me included, probably sit in or close to the middle. It's not favouring one or the other, it's using all means available to make informed decisions.

What scares me are the types who hold on to press releases of new products, especially Mk5 of some cable, as if it's going to change their life. Only then do I think the marketing push by cable companies has got the better of the audio hobbyist.

The PS Audio P12 has taken a lot of flack, but a P3 served me well with a high powered tube amplifier. Its failing for me, not mentioned once in thousands of posts, was that the UK receptacles pointed in the wrong direction and if you used a straight cabled plug (which can be heavy) it often fell out of the receptacle. They just weren't strong enough. Mechanical design and certification (as @amirm correctly points out) can be overlooked. There was an issue a few years back with some popular and expensive UK power plugs that were not properly certified.

DWI

Would "otherwise good dealers" suit you?

I've used 2 or 3 dealers for main components over the last 10 to 15 years.

One is a very mild mannered 70-year old until you get to cables, when he gets quite angry as he thinks the whole cable thing a total scam.

The other two stock perhaps 2 or 3 brands of cables of all prices and have never tried to sell me anything. One of them indicated to me it would probably hurt his business if he did not sell top end cables, because some of his customers demand it. And they are demanding. A couple of years ago I went it to pick something up by appointment and he was not there. I was told a customer had demanded he go and fix something immediately. Like, right now. The customer was 4,000 miles away and when he got the the airport the only available ticket cost $8,000.

We use Deliveroo. They send their private jet to pick up sushi from their favourite restaurant.

You can moralise about it as much as you like, but there are customers that require products and if you don't sell them, someone else will, and you will lose other business besides. And it goes down the chain. It's been like this for millennia.

Top Bottom