• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest NRG-X3 Review (AC Power Cord)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money

Votes: 324 89.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

AudioTK

I must say, I didn't see this coming. :) It is these sobering moments that teach one what the reality is.
Yeah, I laughed for sure. Kicked myself for not thinking to check that the sub was even on.

To swap the cord, I had to enter the equipment closet which the entrance to access the back of the equipment was just outside the theater room (out of his sight). Initially when I swapped, I had thought about being sneaky and not swapping for his higher cost power cord and just leave the original, but I did swap it. However, in this case it truly would not have mattered!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I must say, I didn't see this coming. :) It is these sobering moments that teach one what the reality is.
I know Amir and I both have had this type of thing happen to us. It is a real eye opener. I adjusted a sub for 1.5 hours to get it just right. I then foun\d out the sub was not turned on. It is unbelievable what you hear until it is impossible to hear it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound is really good, and I'm happy.
I really read your whole post.
It put a smile on my face; simply because I am in the K.I.S.S. audio camp.
Unlike you, I would have nix'd the sub from my system permanently.

P.S. You really should tell your friend your story; it could be a giggle moment between you two.

joeren

Just a few days ago, I watch Amir's review of this power cord, and it reminded me that I had posted this fun story back in 2019 on Stereophile.
AudioQuest power cord review...
Over the decades I’ve participated in a great many listen tests, both home and in audio stores. There used to be many more audio shops back in the day. I always seemed to be the spoiler when some of the these “comparison demonstrations“ didn’t impress me. I couldn’t see the kings new clothes. But I did have fun making the sales people a bit nervous when they didn’t have the knowledge to explain the physics but instead relied on the same old subjective and snake oil claims.

AudioTK

Back in 2004 when I bought my Rotel RB-1090 th use with my Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 with signals coming from my Marantz SR-5400, the audio shop guy said, ok before you go, you have to buy these XYZ (whatever brand) RCA cables. They were actually inexpensive at $70 each 1m set. But I turned to him and said, "do you think you or I could actually hear a difference?". He said "probably not". I told him I'll stick with my Radio Shack cables.

Now I use The Link 100 from Transparent Audio Laboratory cables that someone included when I bought my Rotel RMB-1075 on eBay. He said it was a store demo unit and he would just include the cables free. I never looked up the specs, never listened for or noticed any difference compared to the cheaper cables I've used. I am happy with the sound.

I'd be willing to try other cables if someone wanted to bring them over for a listening demo/comparison. It could be fun!

Laci B

I am planning to buy this cable. I just don't understand what is that direction hocus-pocus. Can somebody explain to me?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I am planning to buy this cable. I just don't understand what is that direction hocus-pocus

That's the indicator that you shouldn't buy it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am planning to buy this cable. I just don't understand what is that direction hocus-pocus. Can somebody explain to me?
The AC current follows the arrows, but the noise cannot. That's the basis of electronic filtering.

/;)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your advice, I'll not buy it.
To further extend the advice.

Don't buy any expensive "audiophile" cables.

For power cords the one supplied in the box with the gear is audibly identical to any so called "high end" cable.

For interconnect - just basic good build quality is all that is needed.

Laci B

To further extend the advice.

Don't buy any expensive "audiophile" cables.

For power cords the one supplied in the box with the gear is audibly identical to any so called "high end" cable.

For interconnect - just basic good build quality is all that is needed.
Thank you so much for your confirmation. I am also sceptic about the power cord magic. In my opinion a properly designed and made power supply is able to filter out any disturbance delivered from the grid.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello doubters,
compare a power cable with stranded copper conductors and a power cable with rigid copper conductors with the same cross section.
Same plugs, same length, the material is available at hardware stores.
The difference in sound on an amplifier is clearly audible.
Oh dear.. another one :facepalm:
There are more physical effects in reality than we can explain with our school knowledge.
Do you believe in magic as well?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello doubters,
compare a power cable with stranded copper conductors and a power cable with rigid copper conductors with the same cross section.
Same plugs, same length, the material is available at hardware stores.
The difference in sound on an amplifier is clearly audible.
There are more physical effects in reality than we can explain with our school knowledge.
Yeah right …. :facepalm:

egellings

Major Contributor
It's hocus-pocus; An AC signal current travels back & forth as the voltage changes polarity in the signal. For a DC source, then direction would have meaning, but who listens to DC? Only time direction on a cable would make sense is if the ground connection is not made on one end of an audio signal cable in order to break a ground loop that could cause hum & other noise. Such cables would have directions that in part, explain that.

Last edited:

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Hello doubters
I have no doubt that you have no clue what you’re on about. I also have no doubt that you have come to the wrong forum. Ta ta….now.

Top Bottom