• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest NRG-X3 AC Power Cord Review (Video)

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A 23 minute ootoob 'splainer about a power cable. Funny old world. eh?
I think a 1 min PSA video would be enough, but then the critics would say he provided no evidence. So the burden is on him and we're all greatful for it(!), despite the proponents providing nothing other than fluff words and a magical experience (I must then not know how to listen to music [properly]!).

F

freemansteve

Damn!
That has messed up my evening of listening to top-quality mains with a nice glass of wine.
It's a shocking result.

Cuniberti

Forum Donor
$100.00 for a cable that is better built than a generic is almost reasonable for many people.
I would love to see a test like this on one of those $2000 - $5000 AC cable. However, I don't think anyone on this forum has one.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
$100.00 for a cable that is better built than a generic is almost reasonable for many people.
I would love to see a test like this on one of those $2000 - $5000 AC cable. However, I don't think anyone on this forum has one.
It really doesn’t matter the results would be the same, ie no difference whatsoever.
Keith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would love to see a test like this on one of those $2000 - $5000 AC cable.
I hear you. How important is testing something like that? Amazon carries their $1,300 cable. Would there be value in testing that?

AndyG

Follow up video on my text review of AudioQuest NRG-X3 Power Cord.

I work as a product safety and EMC compliance engineer, and I have access to the UL IQ database. A quick search for Audioquest UL listed products only shows their PQ-2 and PQ-3 surge protectors. This doesn't necessarily mean that their products may not be listed at all, because there are many other NRTL testing laboratories they can use. But to be honest I would definitely NOT USE a power cord that does not have any regulatory markings at all! I know all too well how these types of devices can fail, and quite catastrophically! Audioquest either wants to save on the certifications costs, or don't believe in certifications, but in all honesty, for the price they charge, certification costs should already be factored in. I would run as fast and as far away as possible from un-certified safety critical components, especially those that carry hazardous voltages and high currents. And, their website is very difficult for me to read, what with all the snake oil verbiage they use, like "DIRECTIONALLY OPTIMIZED CONCENTRIC-GEOMETRY AUDIOQUEST POWER CORD"! What in the world is this? Audioquest now claims to control the direction of the flow of electrons in their power cords????? I still can't believe people fall for this crap!

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Even worse, if you get a power cord from a batch where the end terminations were mixed up it degrades the sound of your system. :cool:

Twinterfinder

Now we knew power cord didn't make any difference to the DAC which has better noise isolation than an amp.
How about some tests on pre-amps or amps? I did hear some differences on the amp using different power cords.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now we knew power cord didn't make any difference to the DAC which has better noise isolation than an amp.
How about some tests on pre-amps or amps? I did hear some differences on the amp using different power cords.
I measured an amplifier in the original review and covered it in the video:

index.php

No impact on noise, distortion or available power.

CinDyment

There is a company that rents out audio cables can't remember the name off the top of my head though.

TrevC

You didn't really.

C. Cook

PLEASE if you can and if any ASR member has access, test and review some Shunyata snake oil products!

Granted, given the knowledge of this community, very few if any persons present have ever wasted money on one of their ridiculously expensive nothingburgers, but I really want to see some of them tested and embarrassed.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
PLEASE if you can and if any ASR member has access, test and review some Shunyata snake oil products!

Granted, given the knowledge of this community, very few if any persons present have ever wasted money on one of their ridiculously expensive nothingburgers, but I really want to see some of them tested and embarrassed.
Why them as opposed to some other company?

Top Bottom