• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest Niagara 1200 Review (Power Conditioner/Surge Protector)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I work in medical diagnostics field as an engineer and majority of the precision instruments used in diagnostic testing are hooked up to UPS that's hooked to 120/240 dual mains. Majority of these have surge protection built in and will auto shut off mains power to protect from surge and none of those instruments need a power conditioner for the 240v mains supply. I think having a decent power surge/UPS will do wonders without affecting the performance of the gear.

Mentanalyste

what worries me about those reviews without any kind of proof is they are taking people for fools or being paid to outright lie :(

Totally agree Ezra,

Thank you Amirm, your work is remarkable. The barriers of the marketing speeches of the audiophile companies are falling one by one. The audiophile community is getting organized and it is people like you who are helping to improve this market. You make us grow up so we don't look like fools anymore, listening to these liars who take advantage of the money we spend for our passion is heartbreaking.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Robin L

Master Contributor
This just in:

" . . . Moving the home theater circuit to the new subpanel produced a profound improvement; even my hearing-impaired, 92-year-old mother-in-law heard it. We could even turn off the subtitles while watching The Crown, so much had dialog intelligibility improved. Voices now floated on a cushion of air, projecting forward into the room. The Parasound Halo A 51 turned silky and transparent. It was like a complete system swap. . . "

Theriverlethe

This just in:

" . . . Moving the home theater circuit to the new subpanel produced a profound improvement; even my hearing-impaired, 92-year-old mother-in-law heard it. We could even turn off the subtitles while watching The Crown, so much had dialog intelligibility improved. Voices now floated on a cushion of air, projecting forward into the room. The Parasound Halo A 51 turned silky and transparent. It was like a complete system swap. . . "

That's amazing! I will never understand how sound can be transmitted through a gaseous medium like that.

Ageve

Your Amp is Being Strangled.

And now, your wallet is being strangled.

edit: Audioquest ad on the first page.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
That's amazing! I will never understand how sound can be transmitted through a gaseous medium like that.
I will never understand:
A: how a hearing impaired 92 year old became a standard for determining audiophile sound.
B: How Mikey can claim to KNOW that the sound coming off his turntable rig is so high and mighty when his electrical system has been FUBAR from the start and only now is being rectified [sic]. And yet be able to say than any Digital source is inferior.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This just in:

Rex Hungerford, Edward DeVito, and Craig Bradley rode into town last week and, together with Audioquest's Garth Powell, solved all the electrical problems that have plagued my audio system for years.
Isn't this from someone who for years has been describing differences in gear that would surely require a near-perfect environment?

He uses a $23k preamp. His total system cost must be in 6 figures.

Can he really be so unaware what a self-parody all this is?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Isn't this from someone who for years has been describing differences in gear that would surely require a near-perfect environment?

He uses a $23k preamp. His total system cost must be in 6 figures.

Can he really be so unaware what a self-parody all this is?
Can he possibly be aware that this degree of hyperbole places a shadow over all his previous subjective reviews of audio gear?

Rc Lobarniz

I have been following this forum with a lot of enthusiasm and I have to say how fortunate I feel to find such a vast amount of knowledge about Hifi in general.
After reading Amir's painstaking review of this unit I could not help but to look for the YouTube video review of this very same gear and oh man, is it fun.
Watching so many people making videos about audio gear withouth any other proof to substantiate what they say other than their own opinion is absolutely shocking.
It is also a lot of fun when I read the comment section of the video and someone mentions this forum or Amir's video and that Amir says this unit does nothing, and then another one feels offended by the mere mentioning of such a 'blasphemy', it's so much fun.

Top Bottom