• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest JitterBug USB Filter Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Probably because of miscommunication between their marketing department and their consultant/product designer Gordon Rankin...or did you find a reclocking device in the Bug?
What marketing department? These are not huge companies with big marketing departments who don't speak to the designer. This is a little box and they state what they state. Filtering can improve jitter by the way by getting rid of high frequencies that randomize clock edges. The reason this thing doesn't do that is the the filtering is also inside the USB receiver in the form of PLL so it doesn't do any good.

TurbulentCalm

What marketing department? These are not huge companies with big marketing departments who don't speak to the designer. This is a little box and they state what they state. Filtering can improve jitter by the way by getting rid of high frequencies that randomize clock edges. The reason this thing doesn't do that is the the filtering is also inside the USB receiver in the form of PLL so it doesn't do any good.

That’s all good but what I want to know is how well does the Jitterbug unfold MQA? ;)

Also in blind tests the listeners probably could identify the presence of Jitterbug in appr. 50% off the cases. Not bad!
The JitterBug is price wise at the bottom of USB cleaners that can cost infinitely. While I have no doubt that not everything is placebo, I also would not buy such devices above a certain (low) price point. Personal preference. OK, total lifetime expenditure: $50 CAD.

And there may be expectation bias both ways: some may hear a difference because they forked out the money, and others may not because the measurements tell them so. And some may be unbiased. Fine, as long as it works for them and everybody is happy.

Well, ship happens, Cptn. I found Sennheiser's marketing claims of their IE 500 PRO earphone totally misrepresenting, too. And I know both of their iem product managers (past and present)...can't be that big section within the company either. In fact, check ANY claims of ANY earphone manufacturer...or dongle manufacturer...you get the world's best at $80 it seems :).

Leporello

And there may be expectation bias both ways: some may hear a difference because they forked out the money, and others may not because the measurements tell them so. And some may be unbiased. Fine, as long as it works for them and everybody is happy.
There is a better way to clear the confusion. Blind tests provide a wonderful opportunity for the manufacturers (Audioquest, for example) to demonstrate their system actually works. I just wonder why there are so few takers.

There is a better way to clear the confusion. Blind tests provide a wonderful opportunity for the manufacturers (Audioquest, for example) to demonstrate their system actually works. I just wonder why there are so few takers.
More time consuming, but also effective, are long-time tests. When I have a good selection of the same kind of device available, which one will I pick, let's say, three months later.

Albi1

I do hear a difference with the JitterBug using this set-up: Google Pixel 3a, Cyrus SoundKey, Sennheiser HD 650: the sound is less harsh and more enjoyable. Actually, I do feel uneasy without the JitterBug. I was listening to violin music where I probably have a personal bias since I am an amateur player.
It would very interesting to understand how this effect can arise if you cannot measure it. Understand that I believe in science as a theoretical physicist by training.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome, @Albi1 (anything related to Albi ?)
It would very interesting to understand how this effect can arise if you cannot measure it. Understand that I believe in science as a theoretical physicist by training.
No need to measure placebo effect.

I you believe in science, then you first should have brought evidence to validate your hypothesis... that you do hear a difference ≠ you do think/believe to hear a difference.;)

You should try a better dongle for your HD650, BTW. One that would performs according to its price, and would not need some jitterbug to work properly. (Just kidding for the last part)

Last edited:

Albi1

I suggest that people with more knowledge of the matter think of better and new measurements in order to detect these kinds of effects - which will depend on the music source and devices used. A better source than the Pixel phone will not need such a "Jitterbug". Please note: it is not the dongle in my understanding which is the problem - though it may not be the best choice (and I do not need max volume, btw.).

Certainly, not all effects a human being can observe can be simply measured and shown in one picture. Not everything is just a "placebo". E.g., in acoustics, to my knowledge, fine resolution of a speaker can be determined and differentiated by the human being, an objective measurement is still not fully available - please correct me if I am wrong.

Would you be so kind and recommend an adequate dongle for my headphone? Many thanks.

I do hear a difference with the JitterBug using this set-up: Google Pixel 3a, Cyrus SoundKey, Sennheiser HD 650: the sound is less harsh and more enjoyable. Actually, I do feel uneasy without the JitterBug. I was listening to violin music where I probably have a personal bias since I am an amateur player.

Not everything that matters can be measured and not everything that can be measured matters - Former Audio Precision CEO

There are two basic signal contaminations: jitter (timing errors) and RFI/EMI interference (from the VBUS/power supply).

The Jitterbug is a misnomer: it is a passive device and does not remove jitter. Timing errors are removed by re-clocking the signal.
Therefore, the measured jitter remains the same.

But, how you measure sonic improvements through the removal of interference beats me. That's not covered by the measurements here.

I am currently testing the new Jitterbug FMJ. It works with most devices connected to my computer/phone. In these cases, it adds depth to the stage and removes shrillness/grain at the top end. It rounds corners.

A good way of testing this is taking your dongle and crank the volume up to the point where it is getting unpleasant. Then add the Jitterbug.

But it does not work with all devices. The Shanling UA1 is obviously so shrill and harsh even without USB noise that removing it makes no difference.

Last edited:

Leporello

Not everything that matters can be measured and not everything that can be measured matters - Former Audio Precision CEO

There are two basic signal contaminations: jitter (timing errors) and RFI/EMI interference (from the VBUS/power supply).

The Jitterbug is a misnomer: it is a passive device and does not remove jitter. Timing errors are removed by re-clocking the signal.

But, how you measure sonic improvements through the removal of interference beats me. That's not covered by the measurements here.

I am currently testing the new Jitterbug FMJ. It works with most devices connected to computer/phone. In these cases, it adds depth to the stage and removes shrillness at the top end. It rounds corners.

A good way of testing this is taking your dongle and crank the volume up to the point where it is getting unpleasant. Then add the Jitterbug.

But it does not work with all devices. The Shanling UA1 is obviously so shrill and harsh even without USB noise that removing it makes no difference.
All we now need is a proper blind test result which supports you claims.

Albi1

I am currently testing the new Jitterbug FMJ. It works with most devices connected to my computer/phone. In these cases, it adds depth to the stage and removes shrillness/grain at the top end. It rounds corners.

------
"... In these cases, it adds depth to the stage and removes shrillness/grain at the top end. It rounds corners."
This is also my impression with the Jitterbug, though I have less effect on the stage - which might relate to using the HD 650.

Leporello

------
"... In these cases, it adds depth to the stage and removes shrillness/grain at the top end. It rounds corners."
This is also my impression with the Jitterbug, though I have less effect on the stage - which might relate to using the HD 650.
Yet there is no reason to believe that the Jitterbug changes the sound in any way.
Why do you bother posting this?

Killy

...you mean my observations! To me the differences are pretty obvious.
What I find interesting in all subjective reviews is how a ‘jitterbug’, powercable, interconnects, speaker cable etc always seem to add depth to bass, the instruments / performers are more separated, the silence becomes darker, the attack/timing is better etc. Strange isn’t it? Why doesn’t anyone take up the blind test offer that has been regularly offered? It doesn’t take long to do, an hour tops, as the differences are pretty obvious. When the shows open again you would be famous as you can completely debunk the “measurement crowd”. Surely the manufacturers would be delighted to participate as they again can demonstrate how brilliant their products are? I think we know the answer.

What I find interesting in all subjective reviews is how a ‘jitterbug’, powercable, interconnects, speaker cable etc always seem to add depth to bass, the instruments / performers are more separated, the silence becomes darker, the attack/timing is better etc. Strange isn’t it? Why doesn’t anyone take up the blind test offer that has been regularly offered? It doesn’t take long to do, an hour tops, as the differences are pretty obvious. When the shows open again you would be famous as you can completely debunk the “measurement crowd”. Surely the manufacturers would be delighted to participate as they again can demonstrate how brilliant their products are? I think we know the answer.

You believe you listen. Why do you bother posting?

I found the switch to turn email notifications off. This thread is pure trolling. People telling me what I hear or don't hear is ludicrous. Auf Wiedersehn!

UPDATE for know-it alls: Auf Wiedersehn = Auf Wiedersehen. It is my mother tongue, after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom