• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest JitterBug USB Filter Review

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Whenever I read a review like this, I realize how great it is to be happily retired..because otherwise, when you see how easy it is to dup so many - audio, Evian, Thanaros, etc. - it would be so tempting to start a company to do so..

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Want to feel sad? Read the author's name and then read the conclusion.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-noise-filter

It is still, to this day, in their recommended components list.
As always, Stereophile's conclusion of their measurements is complete nonsense:
While measuring the effect of the AudioQuest JitterBug didn't prove to be a complete snipe hunt, it also didn't reveal why using the JitterBug improved the sound—which it most certainly did.—John Atkinson
It's always nice to have another source of datas from anyone. But their conclusion are always positive, even if measurements are proof of a completely broken design (or proof of no improvements at all, presently).

Bob8701

If there is a filter build inside, you may run a sweeping test to find out cut off and flatness. But simple analog filter can not help high speed digital data. So I guess it is a high pass filter for line noise.

Duckeenie

In the age old Roman tradition, perhaps you should display a crock next to things that review this poorly.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If there is a filter build inside, you may run a sweeping test to find out cut off and flatness. But simple analog filter can not help high speed digital data. So I guess it is a high pass filter for line noise.

There is a simple low pass filter inside for the power supply line and a common mode filter for the datalines.
See post #30

solderdude

Grand Contributor

I actually have its predecessor.
Modified it so I could feed it with an external 5V DC voltage.

WE USB.JPG

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Want to feel sad? Read the author's name and then read the conclusion.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-noise-filter

It is still, to this day, in their recommended components list. (I bought one because of this.)
Great quote from there
According to AudioQuest, there is also a sonic benefit if a JitterBug is plugged into any unused USB port in any device that's connected to your system—even ports on devices that aren't in the direct signal path, such as a NAS or a router.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-noise-filter#SZz1oextKU2BmwyL.99
Are we supposed to believe in magic?

It's odd that John Atkinson bothers to measure anything when he clearly believes that he hears things that measurements don't explain.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Great quote from there

Are we supposed to believe in magic?

It's odd that John Atkinson bothers to measure anything when he clearly believes that he hears things that measurements don't explain.
I've seen a pic posted on computeraudiophile with a laptop that had a Jitterbug leading to a USB hub with three or four more plugged in, only one of which led to a DAC. The rest were orphaned.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've seen a pic posted on computeraudiophile with a laptop that had a Jitterbug leading to a USB hub with three or four more plugged in, only one of which led to a DAC. The rest were orphaned.
Everything counts there, don't ya know? LOL

Eirikur

That's pretty silly, every true audiophile knows empty ports need a EUR 249 terminator like this
1575398773001.png

http://www.myhifishop.de/Voodoo-Ecke/AQVOX-USB-Detoxer-USB-A-Terminator-USB-Entstoerung::82.html

As luck would have it, the same fine establishment can also furnish you with a choice of exotic digital cabling!

EDIT: bonus picture, detox your unused ethernet ports with a crystal, only EUR 19,90 a pop
1575400001534.png

Seems we cannot come up with a ridiculous enough "product", they all exist!

Last edited:

KxDx

It's always nice to have another source of datas from anyone. But their conclusion are always positive, even if measurements are proof of a completely broken design (or proof of no improvements at all, presently).
That's called keeping the advertisers happy.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Being so misleading I almost think it would be better to have no measurements rather than put spin on the results like this.

Alas they know what they're doing. They are just pompom waving salesman I'm afraid.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Notice that the output voltage in channel 1 dropped from 1.596 to 1.586. I verified that this was due to Jitterbug as it was consistent. The JitterBug is causing some voltage drop on the USB bus. And due to poor regulation inside Modi 2 DAC, we readily see that.

So I get that there may be some voltage drop on the digital USB signals due to components in the Jitterbug but how can this decrease the analog output level of the DAC? Bits are bits, no?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So I get that there may be some voltage drop on the digital USB signals due to components in the Jitterbug but how can this decrease the analog output level of the DAC? Bits are bits, no?
No, analog output voltage is well, analog. :) The output stage of the DAC can be designed to have any level one wants. That circuit should be very immune to power supply voltage but in Schiit, that is not the case. So a drop in power supply voltage is causing that buffer/amplifier to also reduce its output a bit.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No, analog output voltage is well, analog. :) The output stage of the DAC can be designed to have any level one wants. That circuit should be very immune to power supply voltage but in Schiit, that is not the case. So a drop in power supply voltage is causing that buffer/amplifier to also reduce its output a bit.
So was the Jitterbug also supplying USB power to the Schiit? And in any case, a power supply dip ought to affect both channels, no?

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I’ve 2 Jitterbugs I have no use for and have been stored in a drawer for many years I would offer for sale, cheap.
Open to offers, lol

Top Bottom