• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt Review (Video)

Ismapics

Well the skeptical are out in full force. They are upset, that one of their darlings actually does not measure up. Funny there was another review the same day from one of the Adjective "So Called Expert" reviewer, and it don't look nice. I would love to hear from Darko, Valour (not sure of spelling) , Hans and the others that have for a long time touted their so called superior performance.

If any skeptics still not convinced, all Objective testing does is level the playing field. It just places the burden on the brand not the consumer. So you don't even waste time looking at items that simply don't meet the minimum requirements when tested. So you can narrow down the selection process. So don't trust anyone that does not have data on hand. If you do, are only placing trust in what their brain interprets.

As for the brands, it's time to meet the challenge. There is no magic here, only science and engineering. The test gear is much more sensitive than any human, so put up. Test your gear before you claim or sell it.

Great review and thanks again to ASR.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the skeptical are out in full force. They are upset, that one of their darlings actually does not measure up. Funny there was another review the same day from one of the Adjective "So Called Expert" reviewer, and it don't look nice. I would love to hear from Darko, Valour (not sure of spelling) , Hans and the others that have for a long time touted their so called superior performance.

If any skeptics still not convinced, all Objective testing does is level the playing field. It just places the burden on the brand not the consumer. So you don't even waste time looking at items that simply don't meet the minimum requirements when tested. So you can narrow down the selection process. So don't trust anyone that does not have data on hand. If you do, are only placing trust in what their brain interprets.

As for the brands, it's time to meet the challenge. There is no magic here, only science and engineering. The test gear is much more sensitive than any human, so put up. Test your gear before you claim or sell it.

Great review and thanks again to ASR.
You don't think that was the performance they were aiming for? Not my cup of tea sure, but maybe targeting those that like their music seasoned with THD?

ta240

Major Contributor
You don't think that was the performance they were aiming for? Not my cup of tea sure, but maybe targeting those that like their music seasoned with THD?

Not only do some prefer having some harmonics, we just heard from Dr Geddes that harmonics may not be a big deal, right?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only do some prefer having some harmonics, we just heard from Dr Geddes that harmonics may not be a big deal, right?
I'll take the standard line. If they aren't audible, why bother? If they are, I prefer my own seasoning.

Ismapics

Hello: I see what you are saying. But at $300 with so many others that are stellar at less cost, there are no excuses for AQ.

Sonny1

People love to kill the messenger but I’m happy to see so many positive comments from the YouTube crowd. It’s hard to get angry at a guy like Amir. He’s always willing to discuss his methodology and conclusions and his work is backed up with hard data. If someone has a problem with the testing, he is willing to discuss and explain. No snake oil or BS. It just seems foreign because most internet reviewers don’t really understand what they are testing or have any consistent, scientifically proven methodology.

twofires

Getting better with the YouTuber thumbnail faces I see @amirm. Soon it'll be full facepalming thumbnail and clickbait title like "this manufacturer should be ashamed". :p j/k

(but seriously, they should be)

Dogen

Forum Donor
The YouTube comments, at least the most recent ones (life's too short) seem pretty supportive. Thanks Amir for helping build a constituency for well designed gear.

morespinach

This is a follow up video review to text version of the same for Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt headphone adapter.

Great stuff Amir. In listening to my Onkyo E700M or NAD HP50 I have been unable to hear a major difference between the sound with and without the cobalt. Thought maybe I’m not sophisticated enough. Until I heard a highly palpable difference via RME ADI-2. But this is clearly not portable.

What pocket size DAC options would you recommend? Chord Mojo isn’t really portable while walking in a park or traveling. What others?

GabeM

Great stuff Amir. In listening to my Onkyo E700M or NAD HP50 I have been unable to hear a major difference between the sound with and without the cobalt. Thought maybe I’m not sophisticated enough. Until I heard a highly palpable difference via RME ADI-2. But this is clearly not portable.

What pocket size DAC options would you recommend? Chord Mojo isn’t really portable while walking in a park or traveling. What others?
I love my qudelix 5k, and amir gave it his seal of approval in his testing and review of it. I've tried the cobalt, and I actually strongly preferred the sound of my $9 apple dongle, which amir also gave his approval of (at the time, I had no idea that audiosciencereview existed so measurements did not influence my thoughts.) Thought I was crazy, but now I see that I may not have been. Between the apple dongle and my qudelix, there is only a slight difference, so small that it may just be in my head. The qudelix feels slightly more detailed, while the apple dongle feels more laid back. The reason why I love the qudelix so much and recommend it is for its 10 band fully parametric eq and plethora of other amazing features (on top of its decent sound, probably best in ultra portable world). With its balanced connection, the boy has a very surprising amount of power.

Top Bottom