• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt Review (Portable Headphone Adapter)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Audioquest tries and fails... again.

As others have suggested, I suspect this is exactly what they were aiming for, especially if that THD is audible.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Thanks so much for this exquisitely timely review. I didn't like what I was hearing through my recently purchased Cobalt. So back it went. If I need a headphone amp, I can go get one. Live and learn.
Welcome Aboard @calugg.

LMDA1

Forum Donor
Clearly this was intended to be used alongside one (or several) Jitterbug adapters in order to maximize performance.

/s

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly this was intended to be used alongside one (or several) Jitterbug adapters in order to maximize performance.

/s
I know you jest, but I believe the usb/usb c adapter (the dragon tail) I believe is meant to have the jitterbug properties. Or maybe its in the cobalt itself. Either way, doesn't help!

bobbooo

Major Contributor
It was one of the cheap Motorola phones, I've had a couple, a G4 then a G5, I think.

Yeah they're 5 year old mid-rangers. Most modern flagship smartphones (or even many mid-rangers these days) will be audibly transparent.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Yeah they're 5 year old mid-rangers. Most modern flagship smartphones (or even many mid-rangers these days) will be audibly transparent.

But oddly, many current phones don't have a headphone jack, so you have to use a dongle anyway. Or use wireless headphones, which aren't lossless and have their own issues. :facepalm:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Beside the obvious fact that almost none have headphone jacks now, even those that do run out of power easily blowing any claim of transparency to pieces.

vlad335

Forum Donor
AudioQuest NightOwl was the worst performing of the 30 headphones in the 'A Statistical Model that Predicts Listeners' Preference Ratings of Around-Ear and On-Ear Headphones' paper, scoring even worse than the low anchor (Meze 99 Classics):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpt8a5x26ydx5ul/Audioquest Nighthawk.pdf

So the Meze 99 Classics are not very good? I almost bought them as there are many reviews lauding them.

I have learned to never trust a reviewer on Youtube with affiliate links in the description.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So the Meze 99 Classics are not very good?
Nope, they were chosen by Harman as the low anchor due to their poor measured performance and ended up second to last in the listening tests.

Oratory calculated their predicted preference rating to be 32: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph7mas4rr3addi9/Meze 99 Classics.pdf
Note that this rating isn't directly comparable to the ratings of the rankings I posted, which are actual (and not predicted) ratings, but with a different scale.

vlad335

Forum Donor
Nope, they were chosen by Harman as the low anchor due to their poor measured performance and ended up second to last in the listening tests.

Oratory calculated their predicted preference rating to be 32: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph7mas4rr3addi9/Meze 99 Classics.pdf
Note that this rating isn't directly comparable to the ratings of the rankings I posted, which are actual (and not predicted) ratings, but with a different scale.

Wow! I can't find a bad review of these. Some are absolutely gushing.

I never bought these because I'm not a fan of how they look. Feels like i would have to wear an open shirt and 20 gold chains to complete the ensemble.

I'm afraid most of the audio industry is corrupt.

Last edited:

norcalscott

Forum Donor
I wish I'd had this review a few months ago when a reddit user was dissing my LG G7 and telling me how much better his DF Cobalt was :)

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Wow! I can't find a bad review of these. Some are absolutely gushing.

I never bought these because I'm not a fan of how they look. Feels like i would have to wear an open shirt and 20 gold chains to complete the ensemble.

The audio industry is absolutely corrupt.
Winner winner Chicken Dinner!

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whoever designed the headphone amplifier in this product needs to go back to engineering school or pay attention to what the competitor is shipping. Actually he needs to do both.
Gordon Rankin of Wavelength is the designer.

The coolest feature that all DragonFlys share in common is their chief designer — Gordon Rankin. In 2010, AudioQuest teamed up with Gordon Rankin to design the original DragonFly — the first little “bug” to bring true high-performance sound to computers.

Gordon Rankin is the founder of Wavelength Audio, and the first designer to properly develop asynchronous USB for computer-based audio. A brilliant designer, Rankin is highly regarded among his peers and his designs have won numerous awards.

Today, all DragonFlys feature Gordon Rankin’s designs — however, he and AudioQuest have consistently improved each new iteration while incorporating sophisticated features into each successive model to enhance their overall value. In the next section, we’ll provide an overview of the most important differences setting each apart.

https://www.audioadvice.com/videos-reviews/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-dac-comparison/

Jut1972

Soooo... Not only did I buy a Cobalt I bought a pair of meze 99s.. And.. I love them.

Top Bottom