• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest Cobalt Review

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/objective-audioquest-dragonfly-cobalt-review-r832/

ASR member @mansr has published a very thorough set of measurements of the portable Cobalt DAC/Headamp.

He writes "The one thing, above all, we can learn from these tests is that the DAC chip itself provides little indication regarding the performance of a finished product. " He demonstrates it with measurements.
Archimago has also tested the Cobalt. <http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/08/measurements-dragonflies-audioquest.html>

Did you mean to put "Audioengine" in the thread title? ;)

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apple dongle sounds like shit. Bright, thin sound. There is no comparison between my old Sony Xperia Z1 and Apple dongle in sound quality. Old Sony phone is much better.
Agree, it sounds bright and thin with most of my IEMs and headphones.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are various ways to listen to music. I don't use a mobile phone for that purpose.

Veri

Master Contributor
Agree, it sounds bright and thin with most of my IEMs and headphones.
Hmm sounds fine for me, in bad commute environment at least. Not really using it at home lol.

The Apple dongle that is.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmm sounds fine for me, in bad commute environment at least. Not really using it at home lol.

Turns out it was a dud and went kaput already, my other unit sounds okay. I'm still waiting for my PowerDAC to arrive:p.

Veri

Master Contributor
Turns out it was a dud and went kaput already, my other unit sounds okay. I'm still waiting for my PowerDAC to arrive:p.

Ohhh good :) the powerDac is a pretty fun thing to play around with for sure. Just... simply ridiculous power if you don't really need as much lol, probably orders of magnitude higher than the apple dongle.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

I'm using it as a DAC for Amazon HD streaming through my iPhone in my home system, connected to the crossover of my main system, or to the analog input of a pair of Vanatoo T1 Encores. Sounds great, or more correctly, it doesn't have a "sound."

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Just finished my subjective listening only review and good grief... this thing sounds terrible

Like I was wondering if it could really sound as bad as it measured... and my gawd it does. Just plain noisy
That's odd, because Archimago found that S/N was very good and it was distortion that was poor.

mshenay

That's odd, because Archimago found that S/N was very good and it was distortion that was poor.

Noise as in the distortion is audible, it's audible distorted which translate into it sounding well cacophonous or noisy not literally noisy as in hiss/static but just yuck, there's a lot of unwanted distortion that's again audible

Top Bottom