• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 438 91.1%

• Total voters

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone tell me what the maximum output voltage is for this unit? I have a Denon x3700H and I believe Amir recommends external amplifiers that output under 1.4 volts.
Looks like 2.2v on standard... Does that make it not suitable for the X3700H? I'm unclear at what point degradation happens. If you don't listen too loud do you get the purify sound quality and don't have to worry about max power degradation? I suppose the weakest link is the X3700H DAC.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
My friend is expecting the Sparcos Edition one to be used with 98db horns.
Any excising noise or strange issue will be reported immediately,as well as aesthetics (I'm super superficial) and perceived built quality.
(meaningless to say that will be used with fractions of a watt to 4-5 watts but still...)

Sokel

Master Contributor
My friend is expecting the Sparcos Edition one to be used with 98db horns.
Any excising noise or strange issue will be reported immediately,as well as aesthetics (I'm super superficial) and perceived built quality.
(meaningless to say that will be used with fractions of a watt to 4-5 watts but still...)
Nope,no noise,no nothing,someone had to put his head in the horn to hear a slight hiss.
Good built quality,good sound,only thing is a low level humming if you go really close.

Strange thing is that driven by the Audio Research L28 (if I remember the model correctly) with the HPA-S400 in normal setting (not bypass) and balanced connection the pot needed to go a little higher than I thought it would be (around 10 'o clock of rotary) for fun (thunderous) listening in the 3.5 meters triangle.

It didn't complain a bit with the forte's of complex orchestral plays and had a nice quiet background on pauses and at plays with a single piano.
Nice amp.

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
Nope,no noise,no nothing,someone had to put his head in the horn to hear a slight hiss.
Good built quality,good sound,only thing is a low level humming if you go really close.

Strange thing is that driven by the Audio Research L28 (if I remember the model correctly) with the HPA-S400 in normal setting (not bypass) and balanced connection the pot needed to go a little higher than I thought it would be (around 10 'o clock of rotary) for fun (thunderous) listening in the 3.5 meters triangle.

It didn't complain a bit with the forte's of complex orchestral plays and had a nice quiet background on pauses and at plays with a single piano.
Nice amp.
The Audiphonics was compared to what other amp ?

Sokel

Master Contributor
The Audiphonics was compared to what other amp ?
The usual set up there is AR monoblocks but there is also a pair of small tubes amp,a big AB 2x100@8 ohms,etc.
Not really compare them though,that would take a lot of work.
He got this out of curiosity and it turned to be really nice.

Redwine

Anyone who knows the idle spec for a Purify designed amplifier?

Think I read approx 17watt somewhere, but sounds high to me.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Official Idle loss spec is 1.7W, but I presume that's just for the module or the reference design.

djwkyoto

I recently measured the power consumption of my gear using a simple energy meter that plugs between the wall outlet and your devices.
The Audiophonics HPA-S400ET drew 0.133 A when idle, which translates to about 30 W with 230 V.
If it draws the same current with 120 V this would be your 16-17 W.

Interestingly the amp didn't draw more current when I played music. The only thing that changed the Ampère values was the CD-Player (spinning or not). Even when I turned it up a little and played some bass heavy music the values stayed the same.

Is that normal for a class D amp? I've always suspected it would consume less when idle than when working. But maybe my listening volume just wasn't enough to make the amp really "work" and drar more current (I'm living in a flat and keeping the levels very reasonable).

ivo.f.doma

I would like to know your opinion on two possible solutions for LCR amplification. The first solution: three multiblocks with individual smaller PS, but 2x65V
The second solution: one triple amplifier with one large PS 2x64V.
Any thoughts on the pros/cons? Don't overlook the price!

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would like to know your opinion on two possible solutions for LCR amplification. The first solution: three multiblocks with individual smaller PS, but 2x65V
The second solution: one triple amplifier with one large PS 2x64V.
Any thoughts on the pros/cons? Don't overlook the price!
I don't see an issue here as long as the SMPS matches or surpasses the added rating power of all amp modules. So it looks fine to me.

JohnnyNG

I don't see an issue here as long as the SMPS matches or surpasses the added rating power of all amp modules. So it looks fine to me.
May I ask what determines the ability of a PS to allow the 1ET400A to generate its rated power? Is it the 65V?

anphex

Forum Donor
@JohnnyNG

This is mostly a non-technical guess considering my experiences so far but:

Yes, I think it's the voltage. It can be kind of interpreted as a sensivity to reach max power.
My hunch is that when the voltage rail of the power supply doesn't match this value you have to expected a lower peak performance. Also, maybe some kind of distortion depending on how strained the SMPS will become by trying to reach this 65v.

As I said, just guesses. I remembered the Hypex NC400 DIY review where one undersized SMPS was used for two modules and you could see power limiting an earlier than spec distortions.

ivo.f.doma

And which option, a three-channel one amplifier, or three single-channel ones (with a higher supply voltage) is better?
I cannot assess the quality, the heating of the filter capacitors and the cooling possibilities of individual PS sources in three-channel and single-channel amplifiers.

JohnnyNG

@JohnnyNG

This is mostly a non-technical guess considering my experiences so far but:

Yes, I think it's the voltage. It can be kind of interpreted as a sensivity to reach max power.
My hunch is that when the voltage rail of the power supply doesn't match this value you have to expected a lower peak performance. Also, maybe some kind of distortion depending on how strained the SMPS will become by trying to reach this 65v.

As I said, just guesses. I remembered the Hypex NC400 DIY review where one undersized SMPS was used for two modules and you could see power limiting an earlier than spec distortions.

Interesting, thank you. I'd guess/extrapolate then that a single SMPS600A400 with each 1ET400A, as is the case with the MPA-M400ET, would get it much closer to spec.

I see you have a pair of those in your sig. I've also been running a pair for a while and they are really wonderful amps.

anphex

Forum Donor
Interesting, thank you. I'd guess/extrapolate then that a single SMPS600A400 with each 1ET400A, as is the case with the MPA-M400ET, would get it much closer to spec.

I see you have a pair of those in your sig. I've also been running a pair for a while and they are really wonderful amps.
For me by far the best value amps you can currently get. The Benchmark AHB2 is only useful for high efficiency speakers or paired with sub. And let's not talk about that weak ass LA90 - this thing is a SINAD meme in my opinion.
The Purifi takes on everything I throw at it. And boy did I have some sound effects with loudness curve and heavy bass lately. The intro scene of Death Stranding where they are bringing out the body to the cremator has such an incredible explosion sound FX. And I bet those two other far more expensive amps would have gone to their knees then.

Last edited:

ivo.f.doma

For me by far the best value amps you can currently get. The Benchmark AHB2 is only useful for high efficiency speakers or paired with sub. And let's not talk about that weak ass LA90 - this thing is a SINAD meme in my opinion.
The Purifi takes on everything I throw at it. And boy did I have some sound effects with loudness curve and heavy bass lately. The intro scene of Death Stranding where they are bringing out the body to the cremator has such an incredible explosion sound FX. And I bet those two other far more expensive amps would have gone to their knees then.
For me, I have 8ohm speakers, the performance of the Purifi just seems low compared to, for example, the Ncore500OEM. About 150Watt Purifi vs. about 300W Ncore.

anphex

Forum Donor
For me, I have 8ohm speakers, the performance of the Purifi just seems low compared to, for example, the Ncore500OEM. About 150Watt Purifi vs. about 300W Ncore.
What's your efficiency? My speakers are 4 Ohm but have 85dB sensivity, which is considered incredibly low for 4 Ohm but the Purifi still deliver enough to need no subwoofer. Also, if you're picky the Purifi actually have 425 W and not 400 W :D
Then again, as seen in all measurements currently, it's best to run an amp close to clipping for best performance. Running an overpowered amp is a waste of SINAD.

ivo.f.doma

They are Bowers 705S2, HTM72S2 and 707S2. The papers say 84dB surround and 88dB center and L+P. But according to experience, all of them are about 2dB lower. All are rated at 8ohm, but go down to 4.3ohm.
The subwoofer is an active 1200W Velodyne with its own DSP and microphone.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
They are Bowers 705S2, HTM72S2 and 707S2. The papers say 84dB surround and 88dB center and L+P. But according to experience, all of them are about 2dB lower. All are rated at 8ohm, but go down to 4.3ohm.
The subwoofer is an active 1200W Velodyne with its own DSP and microphone.
88db at 400W 2 meters makes 111db SPL.
That's loud.
200W would make 108dbSPL, still loud

ivo.f.doma

Yes, but as I say, according to the measurements, it's more like 86dB and suround even 82dB, and Purifi gives 200W into 8ohm only with 1% distortion. So I count on an undistorted power of about 150W into 8 ohms. And that is much less acoustic pressure at a sensitivity of 82dB at 8 ohms.

Top Bottom