• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 438 91.1%

• Total voters

pogo

Major Contributor
All of them use the same module and therefore should perform the same.
This is not quite correct. I don't know any other implementation that provides such power at 2 ohms as the M23 or M33 (not bridged): Link

Satyadhara

Yesterday I noticed by chance that the amp emits a relatively low-level, but still audible (when putting my ear right next to the amp) high-pitched "whining" noise when switched off. When I turn the amp on, this noise stops and is replaced by a lower-frequency noise, again not very high in level. Nothing major, but I was wondering what's going on there and if there is any way to get rid of it altogether?

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
This is not quite correct. I don't know any other implementation that provides such power at 2 ohms as the M23 or M33 (not bridged): Link
It sounds like NAD added more caps on the power supply input board. But didn't change the amp itself.

pogo

Major Contributor
There is more than that, see also here: Link

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
There is more than that, see also here: Link
I was saying this about this.
The green one is like the purifi amp board, except the PCB is green instead of blue for the standard OEM one, and the brand of the cap is different.
But their input board has a lot of caps on the power rail, to support more sustained peak power, and might help for lower impedance speakers.
index.php

There is also the large heatsinks on the back of the modules.

index.php

Purifi says

The supply should be designed such that each rail has enough thermal headroom to drive full peak power for a minimum of one half-period of the lowest desired audio frequency or as otherwise required for continuous power delivery as determined by the system integrator. The 1ET400A design limits power delivery only if OCP or OTP events are triggered and in practice, especially in multichannel applications, the power supply often is the limiting factor for sustained power delivery.
https://purifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/1ET400A-Data-Sheet-1.00.pd#page=12
7.2 Thermal Requirements
While 1ET400A has very low idle losses and high overall efficiency, adequate cooling is essential for sustained power delivery. Careful considerations must be given to design of the thermal system in order to achieve desired output power specifications. It is recommended to mount the module on a heatsink, e.g., an adequately design aluminum chassis.
https://purifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/1ET400A-Data-Sheet-1.00.pd#page=23

So NAD did their job on the input + amp boards to support low impedance, sustained high power.
Sadly, they didn't do the job on preserving the SINAD of the amp module.

nemesis.ie

Yesterday I noticed by chance that the amp emits a relatively low-level, but still audible (when putting my ear right next to the amp) high-pitched "whining" noise when switched off. When I turn the amp on, this noise stops and is replaced by a lower-frequency noise, again not very high in level. Nothing major, but I was wondering what's going on there and if there is any way to get rid of it altogether?
SMPS idle whine probably. A lot of phone chargers are really bad for that so I can't have them in the bedroom, but the Audiophonics seem to be at a very low level in this respect and I usually have them on when in the cinema room. ;)

I also have them powering off physically when not in use via triggers so it's never an issue.

LugsyTL47

I was going to order to ON, but since they only use the UPS, I went with Buckeye amps. Previously, UPS/Fedex charged me an enormous additional fees for customs clearance on top of 13%HST.
I’m considering Buckeye NC252. What approx customs fees to ON could I expect?

bobitto

Forum Donor
I’m considering Buckeye NC252. What approx customs fees to ON could I expect?
Dylan sends it using regular postage or UPS. So via USPS and Canada Post I paid only about $200 CAD duties as he valued the amps a bit cheaper. I’m saying “only” because I ordered 8ch 252 and 6ch 502. Good luck :)

Axel Endriss

because it might be helpful for others who are thinking about this amp:
I recently got Audiophonics' HPA-S400ET. It replaces Allo's Volt+ D in my chain with Allo's Piano 2.1/Kali, Linn Wakonda as preamp, and a pair of Focal Temptation. Finding #1 is that it actually sounds audibly better to me with Audiophonics' HPA-S400ET, even though the sound with the Volt+ D was really great before (would say 99.x now when it was 95 out of 100 before). Finding #2 is that a TV plugged into a different outlet in the same room creates a hum that I didn't have before. The hum is gone as soon as I unplug the cable from the TV. The amazing thing is that this is completely independent of whether I have anything connected to the amplifier input or not. I.e. even without any input signal I have a hum on the speakers as soon as the TV is connected to the cable connection. Interestingly (for me) this is only true when I set the amplifier input to RCA. On balanced it is as quiet as a mouse, as it should be.

pogo

Major Contributor
What kind of TV is this (plasma, ...)?
Wow, are your Temptations still running in their original condition?
I replaced mine 30 years ago, but I still remember it well ;)

Sokel

Master Contributor
because it might be helpful for others who are thinking about this amp:
I recently got Audiophonics' HPA-S400ET. It replaces Allo's Volt+ D in my chain with Allo's Piano 2.1/Kali, Linn Wakonda as preamp, and a pair of Focal Temptation. Finding #1 is that it actually sounds audibly better to me with Audiophonics' HPA-S400ET, even though the sound with the Volt+ D was really great before (would say 99.x now when it was 95 out of 100 before). Finding #2 is that a TV plugged into a different outlet in the same room creates a hum that I didn't have before. The hum is gone as soon as I unplug the cable from the TV. The amazing thing is that this is completely independent of whether I have anything connected to the amplifier input or not. I.e. even without any input signal I have a hum on the speakers as soon as the TV is connected to the cable connection. Interestingly (for me) this is only true when I set the amplifier input to RCA. On balanced it is as quiet as a mouse, as it should be.
If in europe try plug it to the outlet in the opposite way too and see if that fixes it.

Axel Endriss

What kind of TV is this (plasma, ...)?
Wow, are your Temptations still running in their original condition?
I replaced mine 30 years ago, but I still remember it well ;)
TV is nothing special, it's a normal LCD TV from Samsung (~6 years old). Also it doesn't matter whether it's switched on or not. The hum is there when the tv is connected to the tv cable. What I don't understand is that the hum is there even there's nothing connected to the input of the amp. So somehow the ground loop at the tv "talks" via AC power grid of the house and the amo doesn't like it (?).

My Temptations received new beading on the bass speakers and tweeters 6 years ago and thus sound like the first day again. I like the speakers a lot and would probably have to dig deep into my pocket to get comparable speakers today. I have compared them to other speakers several times over the years, but always gave my old ones the edge.

Caliban

Forum Donor
TV is nothing special, it's a normal LCD TV from Samsung (~6 years old). Also it doesn't matter whether it's switched on or not. The hum is there when the tv is connected to the tv cable. What I don't understand is that the hum is there even there's nothing connected to the input of the amp. So somehow the ground loop at the tv "talks" via AC power grid of the house and the amo doesn't like it (?).

My Temptations received new beading on the bass speakers and tweeters 6 years ago and thus sound like the first day again. I like the speakers a lot and would probably have to dig deep into my pocket to get comparable speakers today. I have compared them to other speakers several times over the years, but always gave my old ones the edge.
You need something like this :

Axel Endriss

Another question related to the HPA-S400ET: Have you tried the different gain settings and could you hear a difference?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another question related to the HPA-S400ET: Have you tried the different gain settings and could you hear a difference?

I've tried medium and high gain. Zero difference (except the gain level of course!)

Snoopy

Major Contributor

Bleib

Major Contributor
Just saw audiophonics has integrated amps now. Ncore + ESS9038Q2.

What's the opinion on this ?

That it would be great to see measurements

Top Bottom