• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 438 91.1%

• Total voters

mctron

I wonder what the trigger consumption is for a master/slave power strip? To work it would need to be above standby but below normal usage. Standby usage seems to vary a lot, so that makes it tricky.
I know there are some with variable knobs for the consumption amount. One could also use smart plugs with power monitoring and Home Assistant for finer control but that is a whole other can of worms.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I know there are some with variable knobs for the consumption amount. One could also use smart plugs with power monitoring and Home Assistant for finer control but that is a whole other can of worms.
You better never measure on an analyzer one of these power strips who work with rheostats.
Even in the same electric line with power outlets they can cause havoc.

Satyadhara

Has anyone measured DC offset on the speaker terminals of this amp? Would be interested in the measurement!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I know there are some with variable knobs for the consumption amount. One could also use smart plugs with power monitoring and Home Assistant for finer control but that is a whole other can of worms
I wonder if kolestonin has ruled out the smart plug/strip option. I use smart plugs with power monitoring and find these very convenient.

cybernaut667

(Pardon my French but that just gets my EU dick hard.)

flag-european-union_1f1ea-1f1fa.png
And pardon my off topic but did you guys know that the 12 stars represent the 12 Greek Gods of Olympus? There will always be 12 stars even if new countries join (or leave..) the EU . Great amp BTW;)

C. Cook

Living in the US, I was nervous to purchase the Audiphonics amp (France) - shipping costs, Duty, damage, etc. The case and with large heatsinks was a real motivator/ differentiator. None of those worries materialized.

Now that I’ve had this amp for three months of virtual daily use, I can assure you the amp runs cool, sounds completely transparent and really packs a punch.

To be honest, in the back of my mind, I’d lusted after a Benchmark but can state with complete certainty that I now have no interest. I can’t imagine how the Audiophonics (or any of the Purifi based amps) would be anything but an endgame amp for 99% of Audio Science aficionados.
Agree. I can't tell any difference in sound quality between the first Hypex OEM-DIY amp I built myself, the NC1200s or the Purifi amps. The NC1200s pack a huge punch and are awesome for home theater and bass (don't even need a sub w/ my main speakers). Haven't tried the Nord Purifi amp in my living room yet. I have no desire to buy the Benchmark with my personal listening habits.

That said, could someone please post another pic or link me back to a previous one where the heatsinks are clearly visible? Note, if it's the one from Amir's review I obviously can see the two heat sinks on opposing sides, but I thought we were talking about the little tiny model with no visibly apparent ones.

JohnnyNG

By the way, I now also use the Topping PRE and the DAC 90SE, which were so excellently reviewed here; also very cheap devices that are incredibly good.
I have a Pre90 as well as a D90. May I ask what you have the gain set to on your Audiophonics monos and what volume you typically wind up at on the Pre?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Agree. I can't tell any difference in sound quality between the first Hypex OEM-DIY amp I built myself, the NC1200s or the Purifi amps. The NC1200s pack a huge punch and are awesome for home theater and bass (don't even need a sub w/ my main speakers). Haven't tried the Nord Purifi amp in my living room yet. I have no desire to buy the Benchmark with my personal listening habits.

That said, could someone please post another pic or link me back to a previous one where the heatsinks are clearly visible? Note, if it's the one from Amir's review I obviously can see the two heat sinks on opposing sides, but I thought we were talking about the little tiny model with no visibly apparent ones.
You mean this <https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...eo-amplifier-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14557.html> or this <https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-d-amplifier-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm-p-14951.html>?
I think these just use the case as a heatsink. Do they need any more, especially the mono version?

The wide version tested by Amir has heatsinks but I doubt that they make any real difference.

C. Cook

You mean this <https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...eo-amplifier-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14557.html> or this <https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-d-amplifier-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm-p-14951.html>?
I think these just use the case as a heatsink. Do they need any more, especially the mono version?

The wide version tested by Amir has heatsinks but I doubt that they make any real difference.
Yessir. The first link is the one I was referring to. That's an incredibly small form factor with the only heat sinking being whatever is built into the modules and how they are coupled with the chassis.

I can't comment on whether the large looking ones on the unit Amir reviewed make any difference because my own Nord built Purifi-based amp runs pretty cool. In fact it usually runs hotter when idle than when playing music. It's in my home office so I don't play it super loud, so maybe that's why. The VTV built NC1200 amp in the living room (and several NC500 OEM/DIY amps I've assembled) tend to run pretty hot, but that's only happened when playing loud or letting sit idle for long periods of time in the cabinet.

If I had some better measurement equipment (i.e., a decent thermometer for FLIR) I'd probably do detailed measurements. Tried one of the apps for a relatively new Samsung phone and it was garbage, as expected.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yessir. The first link is the one I was referring to. That's an incredibly small form factor with the only heat sinking being whatever is built into the modules and how they are coupled with the chassis.

I can't comment on whether the large looking ones on the unit Amir reviewed make any difference because my own Nord built Purifi-based amp runs pretty cool. In fact it usually runs hotter when idle than when playing music. It's in my home office so I don't play it super loud, so maybe that's why. The VTV built NC1200 amp in the living room (and several NC500 OEM/DIY amps I've assembled) tend to run pretty hot, but that's only happened when playing loud or letting sit idle for long periods of time in the cabinet.

If I had some better measurement equipment (i.e., a decent thermometer for FLIR) I'd probably do detailed measurements. Tried one of the apps for a relatively new Samsung phone and it was garbage, as expected.
My view is that Audiophonics seems to be a competent outfit and they would have looked for any heat issues as they don't want a lot of returns under warranty.

UNICRON-WMD

Hi all, my first time posting. I should be getting my Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Monday. I will be using my Rotel A12 as a preamp. The preouts are 1 V / 470 Ohms.

So I should use it in default signal of ~ 2.2V RMS?

Thanks in advance,
WMD

reddavin

What bit is needed for the HPA-S400ET case screws? 2 channel version. Looks like 2mm hex.

Last edited:

reddavin

Yes, 2mm hex
Thanks. I opened the case to check the jumpers. Most of the screws were extremely tight. The last one was very tough. My Allen wrench couldn’t grab it. Used the closest SAE wrench and got it. They do set Gain+ by default. Configuration 2.

Attachments

• F9C06E64-5A87-4E57-BC91-D25AF1DC7C61.jpeg
    F9C06E64-5A87-4E57-BC91-D25AF1DC7C61.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 110

TheWalkman

I wonder what the trigger consumption is for a master/slave power strip? To work it would need to be above standby but below normal usage. Standby usage seems to vary a lot, so that makes it tricky.
FWIW, in standby mode, my Kilowatt is showing an idle power consumption of 16.8 Watts for my Audiophonics amp.

Top Bottom