• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 438 91.1%

• Total voters

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, @amirm. Excellent price/performance ratio, for sure!:)

But we unsurprisingly get what is expected performance from a close-to-reference design : 1ET400A + SMPS1200 + transparent buffer board (which is good). Minor differences are due to either production variation or Gain settings. Personally, I would spend a bit more for BoXem Arthur 4215 (for form factor, auto off/on and overall build quality) but none would "sound" any better than the other.;)

For those who don't know, there's also a cheaper version, with the exact same components in a smaller case:View attachment 194315View attachment 194320

Following up on this post from many months ago. Wondering about these two purifi offerings from Audiophonics, where the only difference is size and casing. Is there any possibility that performance will be different between them, due to signal leakage, worse shielding, etc? I have no idea if these terms are accurate, but you probably understand my point. Hope some of the resident experts can chime in!

C. Cook

has anyone had any issues with heat buildup? the smaller amp in their line really has those boards packed into the chassis with no visible heat sinking other than whatever the modules themselves can dissipate through the metal plate that screws to the floor of the case. got into a quite contentious conversation on VTV's alleged lack of heat sinking when I mentioned that mine w/ Hypex NC1200s was running hot at first. TMK Purifi doesn't run significantly cooler than Hypex, but only based on subjective anecdotal experience (have a Nord w/ the Purif modules in my office as well).

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
has anyone had any issues with heat buildup? the smaller amp in their line really has those boards packed into the chassis with no visible heat sinking other than whatever the modules themselves can dissipate through the metal plate that screws to the floor of the case. got into a quite contentious conversation on VTV's alleged lack of heat sinking when I mentioned that mine w/ Hypex NC1200s was running hot at first. TMK Purifi doesn't run significantly cooler than Hypex, but only based on subjective anecdotal experience (have a Nord w/ the Purif modules in my office as well).
What were the temperatures of the components?

C. Cook

What were the temperatures of the components?
So I never got the chance to measure the interior amp or SMPS boards, but at one point the top of the chassis hit about 140-150F IIRC? I was using an infrared thermometer and took a few photos. Since then it hasn't gotten as hot, so I just kinda dropped the issue.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Following up on this post from many months ago. Wondering about these two purifi offerings from Audiophonics, where the only difference is size and casing. Is there any possibility that performance will be different between them, due to signal leakage, worse shielding, etc? I have no idea if these terms are accurate, but you probably understand my point. Hope some of the resident experts can chime in!
I would go for the 2 x mono version <https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-d-amplifier-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm-p-14951.html>. There should be better performance because of complete channel separation, with a power supply for each, any heat issues will be reduced, and you can place them much closer to the speakers and reduce speaker cable length.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go for the 2 x mono version <https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-d-amplifier-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm-p-14951.html>. There should be better performance because of complete channel separation, with a power supply for each, any heat issues will be reduced, and you can place them much closer to the speakers and reduce speaker cable length.
I'm curious about that.
The power supply is not the same, and I wonder if performance will actually be better... or lesser.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'm curious about that.
The power supply is not the same, and I wonder if performance will actually be better... or lesser.
Naturally the PS is smaller as it only powers a single channel. They are HYPEX SMPS600A400 (SMPS600N400 is also mentioned so it's not clear which) vs SMPS1200A400 so I assume that would be half, as expected.

Edit: max 600 W vs 1200 W according to spec.

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Naturally the PS is smaller as it only powers a single channel. They are HYPEX SMPS600A400 (SMPS600N400 is also mentioned so it's not clear which) vs SMPS1200A400 so I assume that would be half, as expected.

Edit: max 600 W vs 1200 W according to spec.
Interesting. Actually not that much difference in price between two monoblocks and a larger stereo amp. It stands to reason that a unit with a smaller power supply will have less heat issues. But I'm wondering how the smaller PS will affect peak power for transients? Would the larger amp be able to provide higher peak power to each speaker due to the bigger PS, or will it be exactly the same, given that the larger PS has to divide its power in two?

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting. Actually not that much difference in price between two monoblocks and a larger stereo amp. It stands to reason that a unit with a smaller power supply will have less heat issues. But I'm wondering how the smaller PS will affect peak power for transients? Would the larger amp be able to provide higher peak power to each speaker due to the bigger PS, or will it be exactly the same, given that the larger PS has to divide its power in two?

If the power-supplies were under-specced, then sure, in principle, combining multiple amps into a single box could give you the theoretical possibility of a single-channel transient getting extra power from the combined supply.

But transients aren't likely to be single-channel, they're going to be on both in a stereo pair, so there won't generally be "spare" power from the other channel. There would be more scope for picking up "spare" power in a multichannel amp. Receivers do tend to have under-specced power-supplies, and cannot sustain the same power to all channels that they can to a pair.

But all these Hypex and Purifi kit amps generally have perfectly adequate power supplies - enough to supply all channels at full power simultaneously, indefinitely. The amps will give up from thermal limiting and/or clipping before the PSUs do. So there's no need to go looking around for spare power from other channels.

TheWalkman

Living in the US, I was nervous to purchase the Audiphonics amp (France) - shipping costs, Duty, damage, etc. The case and with large heatsinks was a real motivator/ differentiator. None of those worries materialized.

Now that I’ve had this amp for three months of virtual daily use, I can assure you the amp runs cool, sounds completely transparent and really packs a punch.

To be honest, in the back of my mind, I’d lusted after a Benchmark but can state with complete certainty that I now have no interest. I can’t imagine how the Audiophonics (or any of the Purifi based amps) would be anything but an endgame amp for 99% of Audio Science aficionados.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Living in the US, I was nervous to purchase the Audiphonics amp (France) - shipping costs, Duty, damage, etc. The case and with large heatsinks was a real motivator differentiator. None of those worries materialized.

Now that I’ve had this amp for three months of virtual daily use, I can assure you the amp runs cool, sounds completely transparent and really packs a punch.

To be honest, in the back of my mind, I’d lusted after a Benchmark but can state with complete certainty that I now have no interest. I can’t imagine how the Audiophonics (or any of the Purifi based amps) would be anything but an endgame amp for 99% of Audio Science aficionados.
That's good. So you went with the large case and (ineffective) heatsinks? Can I ask how much you paid for shipping?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Living in the US, I was nervous to purchase the Audiphonics amp (France) - shipping costs, Duty, damage, etc. The case and with large heatsinks was a real motivator differentiator. None of those worries materialized.

Yup, mine's been going strong since 2020 when I first discovered it. I had no hesitation ordering from France as I've had photo gear come from Hungary, speakers come from Denmark, and more. Just make sure you use a credit card that covers foreign transaction fees. I found that US Bank, Bank of America, and Chase did not, but Capitol One did.

TheWalkman

That's good. So you went with the large case and (ineffective) heatsinks? Can I ask how much you paid for shipping?
If I recall correctly, UPS International shipping was a whopping $53 and the amp arrived, intact, in less than a week.)

(I think the heatsink on the right, attached to the power supply, actually does dissipate heat but either way, they look very cool! )

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Same here - I had a very similar set of initial concerns and a very similar experience RE really wanting the Benchmark AHB2 and then no longer feeling any desire for it after putting the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET through its paces.

kolestonin

What is the best way to make this(or other purifi/hypex audiophonics amp) go in stand by?
I plan to use it with a MiniDsp Flex(no 12v trigger).
From what I read, I will need to use a master/slave power strip and plug my DAC as master and my amp as slave.
Will this work?
Will the DAC trigger the amp just by turned on or only when there will be some sound reproduction?
Will I be able to achieve the same stand by power consumption levels achieved by other implementations(ex: boxemaudio)?

ps: is this is something that can be of any help for my usage scenario?

mctron

What is the best way to make this(or other purifi/hypex audiophonics amp) go in stand by?
I plan to use it with a MiniDsp Flex(no 12v trigger).
From what I read, I will need to use a master/slave power strip and plug my DAC as master and my amp as slave.
Will this work?
Will the DAC trigger the amp just by turned on or only when there will be some sound reproduction?
Will I be able to achieve the same stand by power consumption levels achieved by other implementations(ex: boxemaudio)?

ps: is this is something that can be of any help for my usage scenario?
You will probably want to look for an amp with audio-sensing like Buckeye. Any 12v trigger is not going to work because Flex doesn't have it. And the Flex might also not have enough power consumption change between playing/not playing to use a smart power strip.

TimF

Forum Donor
I much appreciate this discussion/thread on ASR. I thank those who contributed to it, and of course, to Amir.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
You will probably want to look for an amp with audio-sensing like Buckeye. Any 12v trigger is not going to work because Flex doesn't have it. And the Flex might also not have enough power consumption change between playing/not playing to use a smart power strip.
I wonder what the trigger consumption is for a master/slave power strip? To work it would need to be above standby but below normal usage. Standby usage seems to vary a lot, so that makes it tricky.

Top Bottom