• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 438 91.1%

• Total voters

nemesis.ie

The heads were supposed to be plain, not with writing, dodgy pics on Amazon for those.

So with nicer ones it would be even better. As it's for HT I'm not too bothered as they will end up on a rack at some point probably.

Still nicer than the chrome-look IMO.

1656071748219.png
1656071768140.png

delgesu

I had reported here that one of the two mono amplifiers from audiophonics was defective. Now I can say that everything is good again. Audiophonics delivered a new mono amp last week. I have now played it for many hours and everything is flawless.
All in all, I am extremely enthusiastic. Up to now, as a high-end snob, I have completely ignored devices < 5000€. That was an absolute stupidity. If you compare these cheap, tiny monos with the bolides that stand right next to them in my listening room and cost ten times as much, they are simply better: they have zero noise, power without end, absolute clarity in the sound. I am really very enthusiastic.
And I'm still using the default. I will soon experiment with the lower gain.
By the way, I now also use the Topping PRE and the DAC 90SE, which were so excellently reviewed here; also very cheap devices that are incredibly good.
Thanks to this forum!

EDIT: Audiophonics told me that they sent the defective device tp the manufacturer for further investigation

Here2Learn

Does anybody know the XLR input impedance for the Audiophonics MPA-M400ET (the monoblock version of the review amp)?

EDIT: I specifically am asking about the input buffer board/PCB, not the Purifi module since that input impedance is in the datasheet.

Last edited:

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Would this amp pair well with an Allo Boss 2 as my streaming source?

Also, and perhaps this question is better suited for a different thread but does anyone make a case for the Hypex/Purifi build with VU meters?

I love that McIntosh look.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, thank you for the response. That's pretty good looking IMO looking but not what I'm after though I'm pretty sure I could run the Boss2 through it successfully.
It’s the only one I know of with VU meters and Hypex NCore. It would work with the Allo Boss, but you’d have no Sub Out. I’d buy the Teac today if it had that and an HDMI Arc.

Svensson

Would this amp pair well with an Allo Boss 2 as my streaming source?

Also, and perhaps this question is better suited for a different thread but does anyone make a case for the Hypex/Purifi build with VU meters?

I love that McIntosh look.
Your streamer will be good.
I am using RPi4 as streamer, with USB into Topping E50 DAC which also is a preamp to feed poweramp HPA-S400ET. It sounds excellent to my ears.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Your streamer will be good.
I am using RPi4 as streamer, with USB into Topping E50 DAC which also is a preamp to feed poweramp HPA-S400ET. It sounds excellent to my ears.
Thanks, more specifically I was questioning the ability to go directly From the Boss 2 to the amp and bypass a pre.

DMill

Thanks, more specifically I was questioning the ability to go directly From the Boss 2 to the amp and bypass a pre.
Yes. All you need to know about the Allo is here

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Yes. All you need to know about the Allo is here

I am familiar with that thread as I had some issues setting up the unit. I have this idea in my head that I read somewhere on ASR that the signal coming out of the Boss wasn't the same strength that comes out of a pre and that caused issues with sometimes a lack of volume. I re-scanned the above linked thread but didn't see mention of it. Perhaps it was elsewhere or I made it up lol.

Anyway I appreciate the reply and won't clog this thread up anymore with off topic streamer talk.

DMill

I am familiar with that thread as I had some issues setting up the unit. I have this idea in my head that I read somewhere on ASR that the signal coming out of the Boss wasn't the same strength that comes out of a pre and that caused issues with sometimes a lack of volume. I re-scanned the above linked thread but didn't see mention of it. Perhaps it was elsewhere or I made it up lol.

Anyway I appreciate the reply and won't clog this thread up anymore with off topic streamer talk.
No worries about off topic. ASR moderators are cool so long as it’s not completely off the rails. As far as a Hypex/purifi build with VU meters. NAD has virtual meters on their streamers. But if your looking for analog Mc. That’s about it.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For what it's worth, I've changed the gain on my Audiophonics HPA-S400ET amp. I wish it had a single external switch for that instead of a separate internal jumper for each channel, but that said, the entire operation is dead-easy and takes about 6 minutes: 1 minute to unscrew the case screws and remove the case top; 30 seconds to change the jumpers; 30 seconds to put the case top back again; 30 seconds to realize you didn't seat the case top exactly level and it won't fit back in; 2 minutes to re-lift the case top, curse, and maneuver it into place properly; and 1 minute to screw the case screws back in.

But it only has to be done when you first set up the system, or if you change your upstream components in a way that radically changes the gain that goes into the amp.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
For what it's worth, I've changed the gain on my Audiophonics HPA-S400ET amp. I wish it had a single external switch for that instead of a separate internal jumper for each channel, but that said, the entire operation is dead-easy and takes about 6 minutes: 1 minute to unscrew the case screws and remove the case top; 30 seconds to change the jumpers; 30 seconds to put the case top back again; 30 seconds to realize you didn't seat the case top exactly level and it won't fit back in; 2 minutes to re-lift the case top, curse, and maneuver it into place properly; and 1 minute to screw the case screws back in.

But it only has to be done when you first set up the system, or if you change your upstream components in a way that radically changes the gain that goes into the amp.
I think that's an important feature though not as great as the NAD C298 that has the gain knob on the back.

At half the price I'll gladly put that savings into my new speakers.

Svensson

Good morning Rufus. Does the Allo Boss 2 allow variable output? If so, then it would probably work well. If the output is fixed, then the HPA-S400ET would simply play at a fixed and full volume. Changing gain on the HPA-S400ET, or the NAD C298 will give 3 different gain settings, so not ideal for typical volume control as they would all be higher range.

Satyadhara

Trying to decide between this and two mono-versions of the amp (MPA-M400ET). Can anyone tell me, if any advantages of the mono blocks over the stereo version can be expected?

juliangst

Trying to decide between this and two mono-versions of the amp (MPA-M400ET). Can anyone tell me, if any advantages of the mono blocks over the stereo version can be expected?
Monoblocks look more symmetrical in a setup. Apart from that, there is no difference to be expected. The binding posts on the audiophonics mono look cheaper than on the stereo.
I’m also interested in the audiophonics amps and probably will go for the stereo version.

Here2Learn

@Satyadhara

Well, technically crosstalk will be even lower., and each channel has a physically dedicated power supply as opposed to a larger supply with dual outputs. Monoblocks can be placed closer to speakers so you can us shorter speaker cables. But as already said - not much really.

I believe the stereo version uses a single input buffer board for both channels - but probably doesn't matter. I would not worry about the binding posts on the monoblocks, they'll accept both spades or banana plugs and are robust.

The stereo version can be purchased with an input buffer board that uses Sparkos discrete opamps, if subtly flavouring the sound is more to your preference. That option does not exist for the monoblocks and, at this time, Audiophonics have no plans to have different input boards for the monoblocks to permit trying Sparkos or other ADI format opamps. So *if* you want to go down that avenue, you'll need the stereo version.

TheWalkman

Good morning Rufus. Does the Allo Boss 2 allow variable output? If so, then it would probably work well. If the output is fixed, then the HPA-S400ET would simply play at a fixed and full volume. Changing gain on the HPA-S400ET, or the NAD C298 will give 3 different gain settings, so not ideal for typical volume control as they would all be higher range.
The Allo Miniboss allows for variable output.

juliangst

The Allo Miniboss allows for variable output.

I really like the idea of just an amp and a pi with a variable DAC HAT too but I don’t trust the software enough to get a setup like this.
I need a physical volume knob that gives me the illusion that I have control over volume and don’t blast my speakers

Top Bottom