• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 91.1%

• Total voters

delgesu

No, you were clear. I think you misunderstood my post. The SMPS in the device needs a separate standby PSU to be put into actual standby mode (0.4 W). If the amp doesn't have that - and the pictures on the Audiophonics page don't show it - the SMPS will always be idle and consume 8 W, even if you turn it "off" with the front button. You need to fully switch it off with the rear (mechanical) switch to stop the idle drain, as far as I can see. The stereo variant (HPA-S400ET) seems to have that extra standby PSU, by the way.

Sorry sou're having trouble with one channel. I'm sure Audiophonics can help you resolve that.
oh, thank you very much. so i will definately allways switch it fully off. thanks a lot!

delgesu

By the way: have no answer from the support yet but as i have one dropout after the other i conclude that one mono is defective.

Svensson

Definitive Technology Mythos ST.
My synth is set to output 100/127 for the orchestration (software setting), then 50/100 at main volume knob; a mixture that could be referred to as 39%-40% preamp, and then PA5 at 3 o'clock. Nearly 85 dB achieved at peaks.
I think you would get better results increasing that preamp output and lowering the gain of the PA5, avoiding that 100% you said is already set to.

@F1308 Thank you for the tip for the settings. Also, very interesting speakers.

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Recurring issues like may be an indication of a relative lack of testing before shipping. Electronic devices do get faults, and they can often be intermittent.

My Apollon Purifi order was not fast - last time I checked on status, I was told it was finished and undergoing a "48-hour test". Suppliers doing that (and not just using it as a delay excuse) would certainly be likely to shake out the majority of production faults. (And mine's been flawless for the months I've had it).

If only a brief operational check is made, then something like this "drop out after an hour" wouldn't show, and can end up reaching the customer.

Being less rigorous on testing but flexible on returns might be a sensible trade-off for a supplier, and work out cheaper for everyone. But a few unlucky customers will get the hassle.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sometimes we comment on situations like this and we praise the shops that offer that kind of fast service when something wrong occurs.
We shouldn't,that's the minimum a shop can do to fix things,it's is obligation and sometimes laws cover the whole thing.

Why do we have come to a point to expect so little?

I'm happy that the friend's matter came to a good resolve of course.I hope he spend years of happy listening his valuable music.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Sometimes we comment on situations like this and we praise the shops that offer that kind of fast service when something wrong occurs.
We shouldn't,that's the minimum a shop can do to fix things,it's is obligation and sometimes laws cover the whole thing.

Why do we have come to a point to expect so little?

I'm happy that the friend's matter came to a good resolve of course.I hope he spend years of happy listening his valuable music.
Agree 100% - I personally feel like there’s been a shift in the perspective of goods and services providers over the last couple of decades. We as a society seem to have moved from “take the time to do it right the first time” to “do it fast, it can always be fixed later if necessary.” I abhor this shift and it’s why I’m willing to spend the extra money to support providers who do it right the first time. I can’t remember the last time, or even if, I’ve ever needed something repaired under warranty.

F1308

Major Contributor
Agree 100% - I personally feel like there’s been a shift in the perspective of goods and services providers over the last couple of decades. We as a society seem to have moved from “take the time to do it right the first time” to “do it fast, it can always be fixed later if necessary.” I abhor this shift and it’s why I’m willing to spend the extra money to support providers who do it right the first time. I can’t remember the last time, or even if, I’ve ever needed something repaired under warranty.
But the process of improving goes on and on and currently software can be implemented to a fixed piece of hardware, thereby better approaching what you need. See Buchardt and the many modes available for their series of loudspeakers.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
But the process of improving goes on and on and currently software can be implemented to a fixed piece of hardware, thereby better approaching what you need. See Buchardt and the many modes available for their series of loudspeakers.
This is true only if the problem can be software corrected. Parts failures, inadequate testing and poor manufacture can’t be made up for by software - this was the focus of my comment.

F1308

Major Contributor
This is true only if the problem can be software corrected. Parts failures, inadequate testing and poor manufacture can’t be made up for by software - this was the focus of my comment.
I know, I know..
But if designing an engine once meant precision in the combustion chamber, nowadays it can be done a bit cheaper and then be adjusted with some microchips here and there...

Kelims

Hello, I would like to know if it is better to use HPA-S400ET or two monoblocks https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-d-amplifier-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm-p-14951.html Each channel has its own power supply.
Screenshot_20220617_211433.jpg

F1308

Major Contributor
Hello, I would like to know if it is better to use HPA-S400ET or two monoblocks https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-d-amplifier-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm-p-14951.html Each channel has its own power supply.View attachment 213334
I made the very same question long ago and the result was go one stereo.

And it goes till page 11...

:):):):)

Last edited:

Svensson

Will Audiophonics HPA-S400ET be more suitable than Topping PA5 to power my Arundal 1723THX Monitors (power input up to 400W @4ohm). I'm now using PA5 with about 85% preamp volume and at about 75% gain on PA5 amp (after top tip from @F1308 ).

delgesu

i purchased the monos. when i asked audiophonics this question they told me it makes no difference stereo/mono soundwise.
then i decided purchasing the monos because it is more comfortable for me to place them then the stereo.

nemesis.ie

IMO with these Purifis having such good crosstalk, it does come down to channel count rather than sound quality.

In my case, as I need 5 channels at the front, I went for 1 x 4ch and 1 x mono as the 3ch costs more per channel than the 4 and only has one PSU vs two in the 4ch, even if the PSU in the mono is smaller than the one in the 2ch. :)

I was considering bi-amping the centre with a 2-channel but decided it was overkill for this room and the extra cost was not worth it. In the future I could move this mono to e.g. centre height and get a stereo for the centre but the difference woul almost certainly be inaudible.

You really do have to fight your OCD with this hobby too. :eek:

Sokel

Master Contributor
You really do have to fight your OCD with this hobby too. :eek:
In my custom built I had to fight with the pros for a matched pair of tweeters as my OCD had make me crazy with my previous speakers and the 0.5 difference they had from 12.000 to 16.000Hz.:facepalm:

nemesis.ie

I've been tweaking the Trinnov and have one speaker and one sub (of 4) 1db out vs the rest well below 0.5. I need to walk away, it sounds great.

Did I read that we can't really perceive less than 1db anyway?

* I still need to verify the results with e.g. an REW sweep, but it passes a listening test. :p

** yes, that's an Olive-Tool house curve. I quite like the result but you can dial in anything you like and swap them in 10s for music vs movies etc.

A32 before-after png.png

nemesis.ie

Just an update on my experience. I've just received my 3rd unit and have two more on the way. :) That will be 15 channels so far.

It's great to see @Audiophonics listening to feedback: The latest one came with spare jumpers in a little bag with a note that the amps are in bypass (as requested) written on it.

As this and the next one will go at the rear of the room, this saves me opening it as I won't need to tape over the LEDs. I really wish a simple option (another jumper would do) for turning those off was available. ;)

The last two have had UK/IE power cords in the box as well.

The latest two came packed in more presentable outer boxes but still using the excellent recycled cardboard as filler.

An extra jumper pack and o-rings were inside the protective bag of the amp, making them easier to find and the trigger box I had ordered was wrapped in cardboard, not loose in the box.

However, being it's brown and so is the packing it would be easy to miss and some of the packing tape has stuck to the side of the unit leaving a sticky residue.

BONUS: The horrible 2mm hex screws for the top panel on the 4ch unit are gone, replaced by much nicer looking/easier to use cross-head ones. :D

Bottom line: As the company is seen for their value/support they should sell even more and with luck that allows them to tweak the "little things that help a lot". :)

Oh and I'm loving the performance and reduced room heating/clutter.

Edit: The monoblock looks much better with the front machine screws replaced with black ones. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom