• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 438 91.1%

• Total voters

Streamc

Sorry, but i have only very basic knowledge in technology. Here is a quote from audiophonics:
"The bypass mode is relevant in cases where the Purifi amplifier is used with a strong preamplifier supporting a load of 2 to 4kOhm with a voltage ~ 10V RMS."
Can someone please tell me the relevant output voltage of the Topping Pre90 - i cannot find it. Is it able "to support a load of 2 to 4kOhm with a voltage ~ 10V RMS"?
In case of questions: yes, i will use the Pre90 itogether with the DAC90SE as opposed to the DAC90SE alone.
You may ask Audiophonics directly why their amp config need 10VRMS of input with bypass. :)
2.2 and 4.4 kOhm is input impedance of ET400 in single ended and diff modes. Why Audiphonics use word "to" (continious) instead of "and" (discrete)?
https://purifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/1ET400A-Data-Sheet-1.00.pdf page8
It is all about output current of DAC/Pre outputs.

Last edited:

Streamc

I do not think that 220Ohm of my DAC SMSL M300 MK 2 outputs vs 4400Ohm is best condition. But it is my choice.
At least I have it. I prefer it with bypass and low THD???
If I imagine voltage divider it would have some 1/20 loss of voltage and bigger current consumption but I do not think it is critical.
Also
I like Rajneesh Kumar Salgotra answer.

Svensson

So, going from AHB2 to HPA-S400ET will halve your spending.
Happy ?
Wait a minute !
Go from HPA-S400ET to PA5 and you will be spending a fifth.
Hey, a tenth from the starting point.

I have to cheer all of those great companies and thank them for their astounding achievements.

Wondering if power will be enough?
I can go deaf already with my Topping PA5, no more power needed whatsoever bearing in mind my loudness go as follows: songs are 100 out of 127, the system keyboard is 100 out of 127, master general volume is 50 out of 100 and finally PA5 is 75 out of 100. Seems like using a little bit more than 23%...
@F1308 can I ask which speakers are you driving with your PA5? I've just bought one and I'm not sure if I would be better served for my speakers with the Audiophonics. My PA5 is at 100% volume and pre-amp needs to be at about 75% similarly to you.

nemesis.ie

Wasn't there a comment from Amir that he'd tested these "boutique" OpAmps and found they made no difference?
Given the results for the Purifi were best in bypass mode, it seems like they are a waste of money?
If you want to change the tone of the music, you can do that with EQ - the Trinnov processors are very good for that, i.e. setting a house curve and then saving it to a preset.
I've played with a few and you can totally alter the tone of playback. So to me, geting the "purest" response (as flat as possible with the lowest distortion) from your amp is best and then use processing if you like to adjust to taste/room/hearing.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wasn't there a comment from Amir that he'd tested these "boutique" OpAmps and found they made no difference?
Given the results for the Purifi were best in bypass mode, it seems like they are a waste of money?
If you want to change the tone of the music, you can do that with EQ - the Trinnov processors are very good for that, i.e. setting a house curve and then saving it to a preset.
I've played with a few and you can totally alter the tone of playback. So to me, geting the "purest" response (as flat as possible with the lowest distortion) from your amp is best and then use processing if you like to adjust to taste/room/hearing.
Not only did they not make a difference, most actually degraded performance compared to the buffer in the Eval 1 he measured.

delgesu

My audiophonic monos m400ET have arrived. As i do not know how to open them (remove which screw???) i currently use them in default mode (high gain). And even here: absolutely no no no no noise with ears on the speakers. i am very happy.
crystal clear sound that makes the performance of my multi k€ amplifiers seem embarrassing
very happy.

ps: i like the bright lights.
ps2: does anybody know if i should press the power switch on the back after listening; if not, is the amp still powered then?

Last edited:

Audiophonics

Dealer
My audiophonic monos m400ET have arrived. As i do not know how to open them (remove which screw???) i currently use them in default mode (high gain). And even here: absolutely no no no no noise with ears on the speakers. i am very happy.
crystal clear sound that makes the performance of my multi k€ amplifiers seem embarrassing
very happy.

ps2: does anybody know if i should press the power switch on the back after listening; if not, is the amp still powered then?
Hi,
You just have to remove two screws at the top of each side in order to be able to remove the top U shaped cover (please remove the power cable before doing that)

Attachments

• audiophonics-mpa-m400et-amplificateur-mono-class-d-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm2.jpg
    audiophonics-mpa-m400et-amplificateur-mono-class-d-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 78
  • audiophonics-mpa-m400et-amplificateur-mono-class-d-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm.jpg
    audiophonics-mpa-m400et-amplificateur-mono-class-d-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

RandomEar

very happy.

I don't see a seperate standby PSU in the images. If that is missing, the SMPS will always be in idle (~8 W) and not in standby (0.4 W), which is what I also found on the MPA-S125NC I tested. In the end, you have to decide if you accept those idle losses or would rather like to use the mechanical switches each time you want to use the amps.

If in doubt, I'd suggest contacting the Audiophonics support. They've been friendly and responsive in my case.

delgesu

not a seperate power supply, sorry for being not clear in my statement. there is a power switch on the front and on the back of each amp. the front switch puts the amp on and the light flashes. i don´t understand the switch on the back ...

delgesu

hmmm disappointed now.
after 1,5h: dropout of one channel. restart: works again.
after another 0,5 hour: dropout same channel ... oh no ...
contacted audiophonics ...

delgesu

next dropout(s).
i am dissapointed and am about loosing confidence in this technology.
never had that with classA oder AB before ...

F1308

Major Contributor
@F1308 can I ask which speakers are you driving with your PA5? I've just bought one and I'm not sure if I would be better served for my speakers with the Audiophonics. My PA5 is at 100% volume and pre-amp needs to be at about 75% similarly to you.
Definitive Technology Mythos ST.
My synth is set to output 100/127 for the orchestration (software setting), then 50/100 at main volume knob; a mixture that could be referred to as 39%-40% preamp, and then PA5 at 3 o'clock. Nearly 85 dB achieved at peaks.
I think you would get better results increasing that preamp output and lowering the gain of the PA5, avoiding that 100% you said is already set to.

Attachments

• Roland  Fantom 8  Mythos ST  Topping PA5.jpg
    Roland Fantom 8 Mythos ST Topping PA5.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Mythos ST.png
    Mythos ST.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

RandomEar

not a seperate power supply, sorry for being not clear in my statement. there is a power switch on the front and on the back of each amp. the front switch puts the amp on and the light flashes. i don´t understand the switch on the back ...
No, you were clear. I think you misunderstood my post. The SMPS in the device needs a separate standby PSU to be put into actual standby mode (0.4 W). If the amp doesn't have that - and the pictures on the Audiophonics page don't show it - the SMPS will always be idle and consume 8 W, even if you turn it "off" with the front button. You need to fully switch it off with the rear (mechanical) switch to stop the idle drain, as far as I can see. The stereo variant (HPA-S400ET) seems to have that extra standby PSU, by the way.

Sorry sou're having trouble with one channel. I'm sure Audiophonics can help you resolve that.

nemesis.ie

Oh dear, 8W is a lot.

However, I have also purchased (as the 4ch has no trigger input) an adapter for the power outlet (also from @Audiophonics (€30) that appears to cut the live input to the amp when there is no trigger applied. It seems to be a very low power device.

So this should lower standby to 0.34W, which is a huge improvement.

How many hours of standby to recover the €30? :p

I think I need to order another for the mono that is in transit. ;) Actually I'll check the power use with a meter first as the 2nd 4ch has yet to ship.

Edit: The mono does have a trigger, if it also cuts the power line, then that might work too if @delgesu 's amp/pre has a trigger out.

Link:

Top Bottom