• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 39 8.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 90.9%

• Total voters

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Yes, but as I say, according to the measurements, it's more like 86dB and suround even 82dB, and Purifi gives 200W into 8ohm only with 1% distortion. So I count on an undistorted power of about 150W into 8 ohms. And that is much less acoustic pressure at a sensitivity of 82dB at 8 ohms.
Make your calculations.
I doubt you really need more than 100db SPL on surrounds + the other loudspeakers.

Last edited:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@ivo.f.doma @Vincentponcet

If they're far away and are in need of bass EQ it can get tricky. But that's the worst case scenario and I can't think of any other top tier amp that delivers more power. Then again, you really should get subwoofers with this setup. 82dB sensivity is really, really low. I wonder how the crossover looks. Sounds like lots of resistors to me.

ivo.f.doma

The distance between all 5 speakers is 3 m. Room dimensions 5x3.5m I listen to the width. Crossover 80Hz. Now I have an older Pioneer 7x100W continuous receiver, I use a biamp for the front channels. MCAAC manages to equalize the characteristics of all speakers.
I am waiting for a new Pioneer 705/905 or Onkyo 70/90 receiver.
I have one subwoofer, see post above.

mackat

Forum Donor
I just got one of these and am currently using it connected directly to my Oppo Sonica DAC via XLR cables until I get the preamp situation figured out.

I currently have it set to Configuration 1, having removed the 2 Gain+ jumpers. This gives highest gain at around 4.2V, which should be a good match for the Sonica’s balanced outputs.

The gain diagrams are a bit confusing, but that’s how I interpreted it.

I’m using it with a pair of Revel F206 speakers, and I am finding that I have to turn the Sonica’s volume control up to somewhere between -30 and -10 dB to reach typical listening volume (0 dB being maximum).

Does this sound normal?

On my previous equipment, I have rarely turned the volume knob past 12 o’clock. I suppose this may be due to the DAC’s RCA output voltage being above what older gear generally expects.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Ben

Satyadhara

I just got one of these and am currently using it connected directly to my Oppo Sonica DAC via XLR cables until I get the preamp situation figured out.

I currently have it set to Configuration 1, having removed the 2 Gain+ jumpers. This gives highest gain at around 4.2V, which should be a good match for the Sonica’s balanced outputs.

The gain diagrams are a bit confusing, but that’s how I interpreted it.

I’m using it with a pair of Revel F206 speakers, and I am finding that I have to turn the Sonica’s volume control up to somewhere between -30 and -10 dB to reach typical listening volume (0 dB being maximum).

Does this sound normal?

On my previous equipment, I have rarely turned the volume knob past 12 o’clock. I suppose this may be due to the DAC’s RCA output voltage being above what older gear generally expects.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Ben

Hi Ben,

I'm using the amp in a very similar configuration, with my RME ADI-2 Pro connected via XLR and both gain jumpers removed. Volume settings are very similar to yours as well, somewhere between -35 and -10dB. So it sounds normal to me, at least :)

mackat

Forum Donor
Hi Ben,

I'm using the amp in a very similar configuration, with my RME ADI-2 Pro connected via XLR and both gain jumpers removed. Volume settings are very similar to yours as well, somewhere between -35 and -10dB. So it sounds normal to me, at least :)
I really appreciate the response! :) I figured that it was probably normal, but I just wanted to make sure.

Vigovsky

Hi all!

This is my VR-03B balanced amp that I made in 2021 based on a Purifi 1ET400A.
The power supply made by the classical way, using transformers,
the toroidal transformer was made specifically for this project.

It sounds extremely realistic and clear nboth at minimum volume and at maximum.
You can listen to any musical genres indefinitely. The amplifier sounds musical and very informative.
I've owned many different amps and can say that what Purifi does in Class D these days is the highest sound quality.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 04_3.jpg
    04_3.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 04_1.jpg
    04_1.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 9_1.jpg
    9_1.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 11_1.jpg
    11_1.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 10_1_KEMET.jpg
    10_1_KEMET.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 05_1.jpg
    05_1.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 20 Hz_340W_.jpg
    20 Hz_340W_.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 40 kHz_233W 1.jpg
    40 kHz_233W 1.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 50 Hz_1.jpg
    50 Hz_1.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 900 Hz_1.jpg
    900 Hz_1.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 219

anphex

Forum Donor
This little guy looks super nice! I bet there would be lots of customers if you'd make this thing in higher quantities.
I'd love to see if the transformer makes a difference.

Vigovsky

Thank you for your estimation!
By the way, all the power lines are galvanically isolated in this amplifier.
Purifi modules are installed on radiators.
I've attached some steps of work on the amplifier. The elements were cut on a CNC machine,
processed, then anodized and inscriptions made with laser. This project is conceived for a very limited number of clients.
Something is planned to be adapted and optimized for additional efficiency in production.
I have many other big projects and it all takes time and focus. ..I will think

Attachments

• 2_1.jpg
    2_1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 3_1.jpg
    3_1.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 5_1.jpg
    5_1.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 4_1.jpg
    4_1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 23_1.jpg
    23_1.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 136
  • 8_1.jpg
    8_1.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 17_1.jpg
    17_1.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 142

anphex

Forum Donor
Are you a full fledged manufacturer or is this just a very sophisticated hobby of yours?

Vigovsky

Are you a full fledged manufacturer or is this just a very sophisticated hobby of yours?
Forgot to include in the first post:
measurements of a signal current waveform amplifier with a resistive load (6 ohm).

Everything is relative in this world. Here is my sophisticated hobby :):

Attachments

• F-22_01.jpg
    F-22_01.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 176
  • F-22_02.jpg
    F-22_02.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 166

Joel G

Hi everyone, I need some advice.

I am about to receive this passive preamp

which I ordered together with an HPA-S400ET. At the moment and until I have the budget to buy a preamp with multiple inputs, I am thinking of using it the following way:

Rec output from my current Rega Brio 2017, via RCA cables to said -
Passive preamplifier converter, to -
HPA-S400ET

I have no idea about voltages or about passive preamps, I went for it because it seemed like the solution I could afford until I have the budget for a decent preamp. Would it work? And if so, would there be any advantage in connecting the passive preamp to the HPA via XLR cables? or shall rather connect the preamp to the RCA inputs on the HPA? (Connection between the Rega Rec out and passive preamp is RCA).

If none of this works I will just plug my Topping E30 on preamp function directly to the HPA via RCAs and live with digital sources for the time being. That should also work ok right?

Best regards, J

MASKINEN

Is there any loud pop/ thumps on startup with the Audiophonics purifi based amplifiers?

Vigovsky

My amp haven't any popping/thumps when it's on startup or off. First I set the delay relay to standby.

Then I brought the standby switch to the panel and removed the relay. It is better. At observance of sequence of inclusion - full silence.

The amplifier also uses soft start. With this configuration with transformers and capacitances, this is necessary.

Best wishes.
Ruslan Vigovsky

Attachments

• 22_1.jpg
    22_1.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 21a.jpg
    21a.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Standby.jpg
    Standby.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

JohnnyNG

I get a very light "tick" from each MPA-M400ET mono at shutdown, no thump at all, and it's probably only audible since bending over to turn off each mono amp puts my ear very close to each speaker.

MASKINEN

My amp haven't any popping/thumps when it's on startup or off. First I set the delay relay to standby.

Then I brought the standby switch to the panel and removed the relay. It is better. At observance of sequence of inclusion - full silence.

The amplifier also uses soft start. With this configuration with transformers and capacitances, this is necessary.

Best wishes.
Ruslan Vigovsky

Looks like a nice setup!

Soez

I seem to remember reading this somewhere or at least it didn't measure better.
If you now have both the Sparkos and the original, any observations on differences during listening?

My context is that I have the boXem 4215/E2 (based on the same Purifi kit), and will get to compare that to the Audiophonics Sparkos edition in a couple of weeks. Just wondering how similar that will be to the OG version that has been more widely reviewed.

Top Bottom