• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 39 8.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 90.9%

• Total voters

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning

vs

The only difference is the case. Would anyone predict that the close proximity of the power supply to the modules would create any measurable decrease in performance?

I am looking at pairing one of these with my Benchmark HPA4 to drive a set of Revel Studio2's.
I have the LPA-S400ET and use it with horn speakers Avantgarde. I can say they are dead quiet. With a lot (all) of amplifiers before I could hear hiss close to the speakers.
This is the first time I have this experience. Hope fully my ears not degraded now:).

DubbyMcDubs

Are there any issues with running this in bridged mode for more power?

nemesis.ie

The PCB actually has screened text on it pointing to a bridged mode (i.e. bridged + and bridge minus printed on the PCB beside spade terminals and extra terminmals not used as shipped - it may be as simple as just moving a couple to the right place) - there is no documentation (that I found) explaining how to do this though.

Maybe someone interested can contact Audiphonics and let us know what they say?

I can see a use for example if you end up with a "spare" amp channel in a multi-channel unit you could use it instead of wasting it if your speaker is not bi-ampable or you have large poor sensitivity speakers - I'd rather have the option and not use it than need it and not have it. :)

juliangst

Are there any advantages in using a high voltage pre amp (like the Benchmark LA4) with the Purifi in the low gain setting vs a normal 4V preamp with a normal gain setting?

Caliban

Forum Donor
Are there any advantages in using a high voltage pre amp (like the Benchmark LA4) with the Purifi in the low gain setting vs a normal 4V preamp with a normal gain setting?
What "normal 4V preamps with normal gain setting" are you refering to ?
If you are talking about the "general" type of consumer preamp with no gain setting at all, I would say yes.
You will most likely have less noise in the end if you put your ear to the speakers (if that is important to you).
Did I get your post right ?
The LA / HPA are fantastic neutral performers, if you want a coloured sound - look elsewhere, but maybe you are takling about something else regarding SQ ?

Last edited:

juliangst

What "normal 4V preamps with normal gain setting" du you mean
Balanced DACs that have preamp functionality like a D90 or Oktodac, because that's what most people nowadays use as a pre amp.
Did I get your post right ?
Yeah I think so. The difference in SINAD between the 3 gain settings is pretty much negligable so I wondered if there are any other advantages with different gain settings

Caliban

Forum Donor
Balanced DACs that have preamp functionality like a D90 or Oktodac, because that's what most people nowadays use as a pre amp.

Yeah I think so. The difference in SINAD between the 3 gain settings is pretty much negligable so I wondered if there are any other advantages with different gain settings
Ok, then you have the answer - set the power amplifier to the lowest gain and be mentally prepared to use the upper range of the
volume control to get the desired sound pressure - if you go for a HPA / LA preamp.
I have to admit that is a bit difficult for myself, as I am raised with 70/80s amplifiers that would clip already at 10 o clock ;) But I am struggling.

Caliban

Forum Donor
You need one of those knobs with 11 marked on them.
Maybe we could get John Siau to redesign the display presentation of the LA / HPA output level indication :)

Caliban

Forum Donor
Put a big McIntosh VU meter on them at the same time. ;)
I have owned a McIntosh amplifier once, that cool factor the VU-meters presents soon faded as the SQ proved to be way below
the Hegel H360 it replaced. So - been there, done that. not again, but it is something you need to go through as a HiFi-nerd.

juliangst

I think I'm the only one who dislikes the McIntosh VUs. I just hate the blue lighting. Much prefer Accuphase
P-7500_2.jpg

Caliban

Forum Donor
I think I'm the only one who dislikes the McIntosh VUs. I just hate the blue lighting. Much prefer Accuphase
P-7500_2.jpg
Yes - but does it sound good ? you forget the VU-meters in a few days if the amplifier sounds bad.
With that said - I have not listened to any Accuphase gear.

juliangst

Yes - but does it sound good ? you forget the VU-meters in a few days if the amplifier sounds bad.
With that said - I have not heard anything from Accuphase.
The Accuphase Amir measured performed good enough that you probably cannot tell a difference between it and state of the art amps like the purifi.
Subjectivists always describe Accuphase as warm and laid back.

I'd personally love to get an Accuphase too if I had the money because I just love well build, good looking gear.

Edit: I can imagine higher end Accuphase amps to perform even better. Amir only tested the entry level Accuphase integrated

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor

reddavin

I was streaming a Bluesound Node into the HPA-S400ET. Didn’t have enough gain to get more than 90 SPL. This was at the highest gain setting. Even though everyone said it should be fine. Ended up returning it to Audiophonics. They were great. UPS shipping was a nightmare. They wanted $600 to ship to France. Spent 3 days in US customs and 4 days in France customs. Countless phone calls and emails, resending documents. 10 days total. Never again buying overseas. Got a Benchmark DAC3 and 2 AHB2 amps running mono/bridged. (All used from some great ASR members.) That’s power. The synergy between the Benchmark gear is great. They have designed the gain levels and power output extremely well.

juliangst

I don't get the hype around the Bluesound node devices. A raspberry pi with topping E30 can function as a streamer and DAC as well and you can install whatever OS you prefer (like volumio, moode or ropiee if you just want to use roon).

reddavin

Honestly I went for the plug n play and blue os. New to high res streaming. I may consider other options as I learn.

Top Bottom