• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 39 8.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 90.9%

• Total voters

nemesis.ie

Discovery: I was just putting the packing box into storage and noticed something black in the corner of the box behind the foam - what's this? Oh, a bag of 4 o-rings, aha! these must be for the feet. Doh!

Again, a piece of paper detailing these things would be very helpful - IMO those should be pre-installed on the feet though. I wonder how many of these ended up in the recycling.

Also, I found the unit wobbles (this is the large box) when placed on a flat table, applying pressure to opposite corners on the "high" part seems to have (mostly) fixed this, some warping/movement from the shipping/settling of the metal or being cold during transit perhaps?

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Discovery: I was just putting the packing box into storage and noticed something black in the corner of the box behind the foam - what's this? Oh, a bag of 4 o-rings, aha! these must be for the feet. Doh!

Again, a piece of paper detailing these things would be very helpful - IMO those should be pre-installed on the feet though. I wonder how many of these ended up in the recycling.

Also, I found the unit wobbles (this is the large box) when placed on a flat table, applying pressure to opposite corners on the "high" part seems to have (mostly) fixed this, some warping/movement from the shipping/settling of the metal or being cold during transit perhaps?
There were the amp, o-rings, the gain jumper, a power cable and the bag in the package. There isn't much to miss when you read what is on the product page and information page for the gain setting. Keep in mind that this is still kind of a DIY amp for connoisseurs and I think Audiophonics doesn't make much profit of it. So in the end you got to bring some know how and diligence to the table.
This is the reason the super expensive manufacturers make sure their products plug and play without causing the customer the slightest trouble, and if they do, the support fee is already paid in the premium price.

Edit: Oh, and keep in mind the pre assembled price is almost the same as a DIY Hypex NC400 kit where you have far more work to do than just put an o-ring on a case foot. :oops:

Overseas

Major Contributor
Yeah, I got my answer. So I would rather wait for an affordable version for the masses. I am not opening case lids and not messing with wires. Otherwise, I am looking forward to test one.
My friend in France tells me there is no place to demo the Audiophonics, no way to audition them somehow.

nemesis.ie

@anphex I got no extra jumper(s) that I noticed, although I will have another look or maybe it was installed (but I think by-pass mode uses less of them). No power cord (which is fine as it's more environmental and likely they only ship one if you are in a country using the Shucko style.

The trigger add on (for the power receptacle) I ordered was just bouncing around in the outer shipping box amongs the chopped cardboard and random foam packing, I almost forgot about it too, not even in a bag to protect it from scratches.

I do understand what I am buying, but as mentioned, how hard one a sheet of paper with the contents included and the jumper settings/power button use be?

Popping on the O-rings is relatively easy (if you don't lose them) but 30 seconds as part of the build (or less if done in batches) would not be a high % of the build time - less than setting jumpers for example.

Am I nit-picking? Yes, but if some small tweaks can make a positive difference to the user experience, that can only benefit the company.

Overseas

Major Contributor
It is such a pity it looks like a deal for initiates, I understand what you're talking but it is not my specialty or at least I should have an electronist around.

MCH

Major Contributor
It is such a pity it looks like a deal for initiates, I understand what you're talking but it is not my specialty or at least I should have an electronist around.
For a little more money you have better finished options from other companies.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have a look at "Kii Audio" speakers ... they have 6 of them (Purifi) in each speaker ... along with Purifi drivers.

Kii Three does not use anything from Purifi, afaik they use Ncore amps, custom DSP with DAC chips, and off the shelf drivers from a manufacturer I forgot the name, but nothing too fancy.

Nothing wrong with that, I would soooo much like to have Three+BXT but no way.

MCH

Major Contributor
Pls let me know what options for EU, here or pm. Regards
sure, in EU (Luxembourg) you have Boxem audio, that by the way is member here (@boXem | audio ), and offers what i think is called Arthur 4215.
I have a boxem amp (not that one) and i can tell you that it looks and feels very good. Completely finished product that i never had the need to open it to adjust anything.
there might be even other options in the EU, others might know better
(I hope it is ok to bring up a different product here if someone is asking...)

anphex

Forum Donor
Weird, my experience with the Audiophonic power amps was stellar. There is no advanced skills or experience needed. It arrived ready to use, and if you want to adjust something it's just plugging premade cables in and out or puttig a jumper on pins. The hardest part is maybe removing 4 screws... But even this isn't really necessary since it's ready to use and you can express your wishes when ordering online.

@MarcosCh Source? Audiophonics is the first and only one I found with Purifi amps, apart from Boxem maybe.

nemesis.ie

Pls let me know what options for EU, here or pm. Regards

Apollon works out about the same cost per channel if you buy a 12-channel unit...

Update on my 4-ch Audiophonics ... the plot thickens:

I swapped out the 3 x front channels (Emotiva HC-1 Monoblocks) for the Purifi.

The good news is that the sound is very similar/identical.

I didn't recalibrate the Trinnov as mic-positioning/room changes would make more of a differnce than an amp would. There may be subtle differences, I'll need longer/relaxed time to test with similar content and only listened to some very familiar music so far, but both are supposed to be transparent and this is born out.

I am also familiar with critical listening and have played with the various Trinnov optimiser settings over the last few months to tune the sound and see what all the myridad options do - small changes there can have a noticable effect.

Also, just to note, the Emotivas are 600W into 4 Ohm speakers versus the Purifi's 400W.

The interesting thing (and I wouldn't think the power handling should be a factor as dB in the level settings is supposed to be relative) but I only had to adjust the levels by +3 or 4 dB. The gain on the Emotiva is supposed to be 29 dB, so taking off 3 or 4 would be 25 to 26 which curiously is (IIRC) the default Audiphonics setting.

So maybe I am just not seeing the jumpers properly through the slots (it's difficult), but both higher gain buffer settings are 2-3 and it looks like 1-2, or it's upside down but I think I saw the numbers correctly or maybe "Gain +" is jumped, I can't see that one. ;) Edit: I think I was indeed looking at it upside down. So it may well be at default jumping.

So, still hope for silent tweeters, my hex drivers should arrive tomorrow. :)

Even with no change from the current state, the tweeter noise is a little less and the power consumption versus the 32db gain UPA-1s it's meant to replace will be worth it if I can sell on the UPA-1s.

Anyone looking for Class AB monoblocks in Ireland? :p

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
Really don't want to develop on this and I am not saying it is a product problem, but a customer experience option taken by the seller, to do it towards DIY niche. Ok, it s all about costs, I get it.
But... when someone steps in my financial institution and complains about not being able to read the simplest brochure about monthly or annual costs for services.. It is the same, you know.

nemesis.ie

Weird, my experience with the Audiophonic power amps was stellar. There is no advanced skills or experience needed. It arrived ready to use, and if you want to adjust something it's just plugging premade cables in and out or puttig a jumper on pins. The hardest part is maybe removing 4 screws... But even this isn't really necessary since it's ready to use and you can express your wishes when ordering online.

@MarcosCh Source? Audiophonics is the first and only one I found with Purifi amps, apart from Boxem maybe.

Agreed, while I am picking at small things, overall the value is incredible and the sound is great. For low-channel count there is nothing better value and likely you only have to set the jumpers once.

One issue with the bigger case is that it is not 4 screws, it's about 15 with horrible small-hex heads. ;)

If I am going Purifi for all my channels I will likely get a couple of 8 or 12 channel Apollons as with that number the price is very similar but you get the "extras" they have.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Just got my 400 mono-blocks up and running last night. As you should expect from the measurements, there is no "sound" to them. 400wpc of silent, transparent amplification. WRT comments about LED's, rubber foot rings, ... You can get the same sound in a nicer box with probably a better unboxing experience for 2x-3x the money. Nothing wrong with wanting that, but it's not reasonable to expect if from a little company that is in the value segment of the high-end audio market.

nemesis.ie

Or the same money per channel if buying lots of channels in a big box. ;)

Another + on the 4ch, the speaker bananas fit in beautifully. Easy to insert but also held firmly. Very nice.

fourdogslong

Yeah, I got my answer. So I would rather wait for an affordable version for the masses. I am not opening case lids and not messing with wires. Otherwise, I am looking forward to test one.
My friend in France tells me there is no place to demo the Audiophonics, no way to audition them somehow.
This is already one of the most affordable version one can buy. In fact, in my case since I'm in Canada it would cost me around 200$ more to build it myself.

You can check out Apollon's premium purifi amp if you want but that will cost you quite a bit more.

nemesis.ie

Just an update on my earlier post regarding blue LEDs on the modules, looking more closesly at the pictures they seem to be on the Audiophonics buffer boards.
So I do wonder about how easy it is to get rid of them ... a jumper to disable them would be good so they could be renabled if needed for testing.

anphex

Forum Donor
Just an update on my earlier post regarding blue LEDs on the modules, looking more closesly at the pictures they seem to be on the Audiophonics buffer boards.
So I do wonder about how easy it is to get rid of them ... a jumper to disable them would be good so they could be renabled if needed for testing.

Attachments

• 109449.jpg
    109449.jpg
    893.1 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom