• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Purifi amp

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
May I add : if loud enough, bypass is also the way to go theoritically considering SNR, provided source output hot enough and no impedance mismatch, since DAC output noise will be less amplified with less amp gain.

Pritaudio

Other threads have stated that the audio phonics build quality is not that good compared to others. Is this due to the input board, wiring, placement or case choice.

Pritaudio

There are two models with a price difference on audiophonics. The only difference I can see is the case and obviously placement too. Maybe request some emi stickers if parts are placed close to each other.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Other threads have stated that the audio phonics build quality is not that good compared to others. Is this due to the input board, wiring, placement or case choice.

I have not seen that here - unless you are referring to the cable-routing issue that results in low-level hum in one channel when there is nothing connected to the input. But that’s not a build quality issue. RE the two similar units, the price difference is the casing (including different location of power switch). That’s it.

Pritaudio

Unrelated but, there is no standby function or choice of trigger.
what is power usage when idle?

Oklei

Forum Donor
Unrelated but, there is no standby function or choice of trigger.
what is power usage when idle?
Build quality is top. Idle power usage is 17W.

Attachments

• 20201107_190556.jpg
    20201107_190556.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 448

Pritaudio

Build quality is top. Idle power usage is 18W.
Is it advisable to leave it on for 24/7, or say 10-12 waking hours everyday.
apart from shortening the lifespan, what is the difference in watts from 18w if there was a standby mode. The electricity cost will add up.

Oklei

Forum Donor
Is it advisable to leave it on for 24/7, or say 10-12 waking hours everyday.
apart from shortening the lifespan, what is the difference in watts from 18w if there was a standby mode. The electricity cost will add up.
I use an ethernet power strip to turn it on/off with my remote via the raspi. So I never leave it on for 24/7. But it runs rather cool therefore I don't think lifespan would suffer too much. I have it 3 months now so time will tell about reliability.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer Mono(amps that you can place just behind speakers with very short speaker cable.
So the Mono audiophonics could be the next amps on my future list.

Don't ask me why or what's the difference between 2 foot vs 10 foot cable.
It's my habit and happy so.

Morla

Forum Donor
Don't ask me why or what's the difference between 2 foot vs 10 foot cable.
It's my habit and happy so.

No question :cool: it's a lot easier to lay interconnect cables, no?

My canare 4s11 are vergy rigid.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No question :cool: it's a lot easier to lay interconnect cables, no?

My canare 4s11 are vergy rigid.

Yep,
I do it old school too,
longer interconnects, short speaker cables. I can't help it, I was "educated that" way.

JaapDeventer

I'm in doubt between ordering an Audiophonics purifi amp or building one. Might even buy LPA-S400ET and move the parts to a Slimline 2U 280mm case. One question I have is on Audiophonics using their own bufferboard. Purifi uses feedback from the speaker terminals. You can see them using three wires between speaker terminals and the Eval1 board. How is this solved on the Audiophonics bufferboard. I see only two wires between speaker terminals and the board.
Screen Shot 12-31-20 at 12.22 PM.JPG

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in doubt between ordering an Audiophonics purifi amp or building one. Might even buy LPA-S400ET and move the parts to a Slimline 2U 280mm case. One question I have is on Audiophonics using their own bufferboard. Purifi uses feedback from the speaker terminals. You can see them using three wires between speaker terminals and the Eval1 board. How is this solved on the Audiophonics bufferboard. I see only two wires between speaker terminals and the board.

+1
But then, as long as my mono's are doing OK (and I have 2 pairs of those), I feel still fine.
But if,
Yes, I would probably go for their DIY kit.

TabCam

View attachment 102621
Do not know for sure but I posted pictures earlier in the thread. I know that I have bigger hum problem when converting unbalanced to balanced with the HPA-S400 then my Anthem I225 which had no humming problem. I also know I should not convert ;), it just showcases grounding problems.

Top Bottom