• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Purifi amp

ririt

I will set-up a mixed HC/HIFi 5.1 system based on a Preamp processor (either an Emotiva XMC-2 or an Anthem AVM 60) and a mix of class D amp from HYPEX (center, surround & zone 2) and a stereo Purifi (from Audiophonics) for left and right channels.They will power Dali Rubicon LCR as front loudspeakers (Sensitivity 89bB). A Rel T9i will be used as subwoofer.
I had a look on the specs of the processors: the maximum output voltage of the AVM60 is 8.4V rms (XLR output) while the one of the XMC-2 should be around 4V rms. The purifi amp from Audiophonics has an ajustable input gain either +7.3 dB or + 12.3dB. With +7.3dB gain the maximum power output is reached with an input voltage of 4.2V while with a +12.3bB gain max power outpout is reached with 2.25V. Moreover the HYPEX specs for NC400 or NC250 modules indicates that maximum power is obtained with input voltages of 2.05V rms and 1.6V rms respectively.
In any case, the max output voltage of the preamps are above or equal to the max input voltage of the amps. To my understanding, it seems to be good to prevent any amp clipping. Right or wrong? Moreover, since I am not an audio expert (my day to day business is biotechnology!), I would like to get your feedback about what would be the optimal gain to select for the Purifi amp to combine it with both the other amplifiers and the processor. Moreover, especially with the AVM60, do I have to envisage the use of attenuators between the processor and the amplifiers to have a better match?
i am looking forward reading your feedbacks!

Morla

Forum Donor
Hello people,
Did someone check if the Pin1 of the XLRs are connected per Purifi/hypex recommendation ?

Thanks

Audiophonics posted this about the xlr/rca boards used in the amp:

This is because the switch connect negative input with ground, and cancel the balanced design that remove any perturbation.

Quote End.

Not sure if that's a recommended setup tho

MrPotatoHead

... and a mix of class D amp from HYPEX (center, surround & zone 2) and a stereo Purifi (from Audiophonics) for left and right channels.

Are you looking at specific multi-channel HYPEX amps (3- or 5-ch)? I'm curious about doing something similar.

ririt

Are you looking at specific multi-channel HYPEX amps (3- or 5-ch)? I'm curious about doing something similar.
I will certainly go for a stereo purif amp (left and right), either a NC400 or NC250 monoblock for the center and a NC252 stereo amp for surround. Because of the attractive price and the location (I am living in France), I will certainly order from Audiophonics.

TonioRoffo

I am on the way to build a system dedicated to 50% Hifi / 50% HC. Amps will be a combo of Purifi (L/R) and Hypex NCore (remaining channels). For pre-amp I am still hesitating between 2 processors: the Anthem AVM60 or the Emotiva XMC2. Powerful room correction system (either ARC or DIRAC) associated with audiophile capabilities are my main criteria. And I want to stay away from Arcam and related (JBL...) because I do not like the way the user interface is build.

Hey Ririt. A way to reach this is to make use of a very simple 12V triggered XLR relay switch before your Purifi amps. I was looking everywhere for "HT Bypass" DACs or preamps but in the end the switch is the best thing for dual use.

One set of inputs connected to a good volume enabled DAC (I have an M51, but these days, a topping D90 would be a good choice) and the other to the pre-outs of a halfway decent receiver. Best of both worlds.

I have used this, with a seperate 12V module. This is enough for balanced input switch. The relay is high quality and is make-before-break to avoid heavy clicks when switching.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1981878470.html

Regards

ririt

Hey Ririt. A way to reach this is to make use of a very simple 12V triggered XLR relay switch before your Purifi amps. I was looking everywhere for "HT Bypass" DACs or preamps but in the end the switch is the best thing for dual use.

One set of inputs connected to a good volume enabled DAC (I have an M51, but these days, a topping D90 would be a good choice) and the other to the pre-outs of a halfway decent receiver. Best of both worlds.

I have used this, with a seperate 12V module. This is enough for balanced input switch. The relay is high quality and is make-before-break to avoid heavy clicks when switching.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1981878470.html

Regards
Hi TonioRoffo, it sounds great. However since I do not have any background in electronics, I am not sure to fully understand how the relay works and how to properly connect on one inputthe volume enabled DAC and on the other one the AVR preout. Moreover, I am not sure to understand how to manage the 12V module (trigger?). Can you please provide me with further informations? Thanks in advance

TonioRoffo

Hi TonioRoffo, it sounds great. However since I do not have any background in electronics, I am not sure to fully understand how the relay works and how to properly connect on one inputthe volume enabled DAC and on the other one the AVR preout. Moreover, I am not sure to understand how to manage the 12V module (trigger?). Can you please provide me with further informations? Thanks in advance

It will be hard to do without some electronics knowledge. I'm not sure if a solution like this exists commercially.

eduardw

Forum Donor
It would like to see an audiophonic mono with a buffer of vtv. On a dutch form some one was telling they preferred the vtv buffer above the nord or apollon. Not sure if they also compared to the audiophonic buffer.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would like to see an audiophonic mono with a buffer of vtv. On a dutch form some one was telling they preferred the vtv buffer above the nord or apollon. Not sure if they also compared to the audiophonic buffer.

What did they prefer about the VTV buffer?

eduardw

Forum Donor
your correct. But I only can repeat what I've read. And the audiophonic buffer does not support the opamps like nord or vtv are using.
But I still think I will go for the audiophonic solution just because they are cheaper with the default opamps. I'm not sure the the very expensive opamps are good value for money. For now for me the audophonic probably has the best value for money.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
your correct. But I only can repeat what I've read. And the audiophonic buffer does not support the opamps like nord or vtv are using.
But I still think I will go for the audiophonic solution just because they are cheaper with the default opamps. I'm not sure the the very expensive opamps are good value for money. For now for me the audophonic probably has the best value for money.

Seems like a good way to go - Amir has run comparative tests on op amps and found no substantive differences.

eduardw

Forum Donor
Small adition. I could be wrong about the support of the nord and vtv opamps on the audiophonic buffer. The audiophonic buffer has a dip8 connector.

Top Bottom